BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#982671 - 03/21/17 04:59 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: TyTass
Bud, this pic of this poster in Wheels Thru Time makes me ask two questions:

(1) Is this your rig?
(2) Do you remember this ad? rofl

Cold, really really cold! rofl

I love a wicked, twisted sense of humor. wave clap

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
#982672 - 03/21/17 05:01 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: greiffster
I understand that Bud is now an "experienced" hack pilot.

Yes I am. 1/2 hour in parking lot trying not to run into light posts. Then 7 miles home with Josh in the car, screaming the whole way! grin (or maybe that was just in my head????)

Just a taste of things to come.

April 10 is when I pick the hack up in MI. Let the fun begin!!!!!! clap

95% of an RT.

#982744 - 03/22/17 04:56 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
UN_XVI - Maggie Way_B (170-274)
[Rod Stewart, 1971]

After lunch, you may decide that The Rattler was worth experiencing more than just the one time. So, go ahead and do it the other direction. Bypass Maggie this time and head on up to Balsam Gap to hit the last two segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mount US-441 (away from Cherokee) and cut through the heart of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Be wary of wild animals in the park; but not just deer, turkey, and bear. Watch out for Smoky the Bear, as they patrol frequently. Also be wary of drivers stopping suddenly when they see an animal. Clingman’s Dome, Tennessee’s tallest mountain, has a fantastic vista from the overlook at the top, but it’s a bit of a hike from the parking lot. Head down the western side and enjoy the depth of the forests. Finish the day with a jaunt down Foothills Parkway and then on the Dragon and HellBender to close the day.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#982951 - 03/24/17 06:13 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA

UN_XVI - Maggie Way_C (195-299)
[Rod Stewart, 1971]

For those who get up really early and/or can maintain a relentless pace over numerous twisties, try this one on for size. After lunch, head back down The Rattler (I know, throw you in that briar patch, right?). But this time, at the Trust Diner/gas station, head east on Hwy 63 (Leicester Hwy). About a year ago, much of this twisty road got a sorely needed topping of fresh asphalt. After several miles on Hwy 63, a right turn starts you on a many-road journey marked by hopping up and over several short but steep peaks (can you say Paved Goat Paths?) all the way back to Hwy 209 again.

Bypass Maggie this time head on up to Balsam Gap to hit the last two segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take US-441 (away from Cherokee) and cut through the heart of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. As with the B option, be wary of wild animals in the park, cagers making sudden stops in the road, and Park Rangers on patrol. Despite the potential for slow going, at times, it is a beautiful place. Clingman’s Dome has a fantastic vista, but you probably won’t have time for the hike. Head down the western side and enjoy the depth of the forests. Finish the day with a jaunt down Foothills Parkway and then on the Dragon and HellBender … then back to the resort for some much needed refreshment.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#982982 - 03/25/17 01:41 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Is this what you'll be showing up in Bud? wave

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#982991 - 03/25/17 10:43 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
Bud Offline
95% of an RT
Bud  Offline
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Sure, more or less. grin

95% of an RT.

#983134 - 03/27/17 01:18 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
Matts_12GS Offline
Matts_12GS  Offline

Enfield, CT
UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah (125)
[The Clash, 1982]

Once known to the Cherokee as Warwasseeta, this ridge of Mt. Pisgah has offered up long views, revealing a “promised land” of great riding in all directions. Leaving the resort you’ll head past Bryson City and Dillsboro before you enter the Blue Ridge Parkway at Balsam Gap. There you’ll enjoy the twisties, sweepers, and scenic overlooks of the BRP. You’ll be thankful you’re there on a weekday in early summer when there aren’t three-mile back-ups caused by 5-mph-fall-color-leaf-peepers. It’s a sure thing that “Shareef don’t like it!”
You’ll detour off the BRP at Hwy 215 and head down Lake Logan Rd (one of The Beastie Boys’ favs), which plunges into the Pidgeon River gorge alongside Cold Mountain. Hold your breath through the small town of Canton NC (dubbed Stinky Town … you’ll see) and you’ll be rewarded with Hwy 151. Though it starts off rather ‘ho-hum,’ several miles before it ends at the BRP the curves get so tight you can see yourself from behind if you go fast enough. A quick sprint on the BRP leads to the Pisgah Inn for breakfast, lunch or even just a cuppa Joe. Take time to enjoy the views from the patio. This is one place even “Shareef” would like!

Matt

2005 1200GS (Traveller)
IBA 37694

" ...if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else? " --Ronald Reagan
#983427 - 03/29/17 05:45 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_A (111-236)
[The Clash, 1982]

Despite this being the shortest return route, you’ll still want to have your “A” game on hand. Before leaving the Pisgah Inn cue up a lively playlist and head west on the BRP. Exit again at Hwy 215, but head toward Rosman this time on Parkway Rd. A short way down Parkway Rd, after several really nice sweepers, there is a nearly-hidden right turn that puts you on a nearly-unknown and nearly-uninhabited road, Charley’s Creek. There’s never a dull moment in a nearly-unbroken series of twists, curves, and switchbacks until you intersect with Hwy 281, Canada Rd. A dozen or so sweepers later you’ll use Hwy 107 as a connector to get to Cullowhee Mountain Rd, which you’ll leave shortly after to use Tilley Creek Rd to climb up out of the valley. That becomes Ellijay Rd as it plunges into the next valley. Using US-23 to bypass Franklin (unless you want to stop by the ABC store in town to take liquor back to the resort), Sanderstown Rd. gets you to the middle third of Moonshiner 28, which undulates more than perhaps any other major roadway in the region. It ROCKS & ROLLS! The most northern section of “Moonshiner 28” returns you to the resort.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#983444 - 03/29/17 07:48 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
I've been "driving" Porsche's on those roads since the mid 60's and bikes since about 1981. old Charley's Creek, Tilley Creek, and Ellijay are great roads and are getting real close to my 'secret stash' : )

If you just took one day and rode all the paved roads within the Silva/Franklin/Highlands/Cashiers quadrangle it might be some of the best riding in the eastern U.S. I've highlighted some of the main ones here starting with Walnut Creek after you leave Ellijay Rd.(also named 1001). 28 is a great road but is so busy between Franklin and Highlands now that it's more frustrating than anything.

The Norton Triangle

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#983482 - 03/30/17 02:19 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: roadscholar]  
Endobobdds Offline
Endobobdds  Offline

Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: roadscholar
I've been "driving" Porsche's on those roads since the mid 60's and bikes since about 1981. old Charley's Creek, Tilley Creek, and Ellijay are great roads and are getting real close to my 'secret stash' : )

If you just took one day and rode all the paved roads within the Silva/Franklin/Highlands/Cashiers quadrangle it might be some of the best riding in the eastern U.S. I've highlighted some of the main ones here starting with Walnut Creek after you leave Ellijay Rd.(also named 1001). 28 is a great road but is so busy between Franklin and Highlands now that it's more frustrating than anything.

The Norton Triangle

Thank you for posting this - don't believe I have been on any of the Norton Triangle roads. Plan on doing it this year. thumbsup

Bob Smyth
K1200RS ('02 Black)
email: endobobdds@gmail.com
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  EffBee