BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#983484 - 03/30/17 02:50 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: roadscholar]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA
Thanks, Bill. A couple of these roads (River & Norton), I didn't even know about, as well. We had Walnut Creek on our longer "Rock the Pisgah" routes, but Ellijay Rd (another great road) kept the mileage in a better range for those routes.

But thanks again for contributing your knowledge. Feel free to just continue to add on. This thread isn't only about our pre-planned routes.

Craig
11 R1200GSA (aka Big Bird)
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#983522 - 03/30/17 03:23 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA

UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_B (136-261)
[The Clash, 1982]

Preparing to start this journey back to the resort will be your cue to fire up a rocking playlist. Once you’re ready to rock and roll, head west on the BRP and again exit at Hwy 215. This time, head toward Rosman. The Parkway Rd. side of Hwy 215 is very different from the Lake Logan Rd. side you traversed earlier. It is well-paved, beginning with a few sweepers before tightening up a bit. There’s a calm middle area with a store/gas station that makes you think the fun might be over, but it isn’t. The road dives into a tight, twisty section before leading you out to US-64. A short drive on US-64 leads you to Silversteen Rd., yet another largely unknown road full of fun curves. It leads to Hwy 281, Canada Rd, which has a combination of tight stuff and sweepers. Hwy 107 gets you to Cullowhee Mountain Rd, which you’ll leave shortly after to take Tilley Creek Rd to climb up out of the valley. This becomes Ellijay Rd as it plunges into the next valley. Using US-23 to bypass Franklin (unless you hear the ABC store calling you), Sanderstown Rd. gets you to the middle third of Moonshiner 28. That section undulates, twists, turns … and it RAWKS! Continue north on “Moonshiner 28” to return to the resort.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca
#983559 - 03/30/17 09:00 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
RightSpin Offline
RightSpin  Offline

South GA Mountains
Originally Posted By: TyTass
Thanks, Bill. A couple of these roads (River & Norton), I didn't even know about, as well. We had Walnut Creek on our longer "Rock the Pisgah" routes, but Ellijay Rd (another great road) kept the mileage in a better range for those routes.

But thanks again for contributing your knowledge. Feel free to just continue to add on. This thread isn't only about our pre-planned routes.

Roadscholar is the definitive authority on all things travelable in that area. He's probably forgotten more roads there than we will ever discover. Chuck Norris consults Bill whenever he's there.

Steve

2016 BMW R1200GS
2003 KTM 625SXC (for sale)
1981 BMW R100CS
#983570 - 03/30/17 11:26 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: RightSpin]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: RightSpin
Originally Posted By: TyTass

Roadscholar is the definitive authority on all things travelable in that area. He's probably forgotten more roads there than we will ever discover. Chuck Norris consults Bill whenever he's there.

LOL, Yeah Chuck called he wants his compass back. grin

Steever we've had some good times ridin around in those hills (along with a few dozen others).. what banjo music? dontknow

Craig happy to assist, will look at some more.. any desire for some forest road forays or just pavement?

Bob I think you'll like that loop, if you can figure out how to tie it to Old Cullowhee and Ellijay Roads, even better.

Last edited by roadscholar; 03/30/17 11:53 PM.

Bill

I didn't just ride in on a Buell.

MOA 80884
RA

R1200GS Adv, KTM 950 Adv, F800GS, Husky Terra 650
#983660 - 04/01/17 12:23 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: roadscholar]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
Originally Posted By: roadscholar

If you're in the Highlands-Cashiers area here's a couple other nice loops. The outer loop I prefer going clockwise because you're going down 107 and up 28 (although that section of 28 is pretty amazing in either direction) but 107 flows better that way. Plus much of 28 is steep and tight and maybe more fun under power, and it has at least one spot that tends to get overcooked going down (we've rescued other riders well down in the woods). There's also a small side loop (Blue Valley Rd/Clear Creek Rd) thru a semi-residential area that's pretty and slower paced although not as exhilarating as the corresponding 28. The main issue with this big loop is traffic, choosing the right time and day is key to enjoying it's full potential.

The inner loop is a great little road with almost no traffic connecting Cashiers and Highlands down into and back out of the Chatooga valley with great views of Whiteside Mtn's rock walls. There is a short section of dirt (1/4 to 1/2 mile) with a little washboard but is hard packed with embedded gravel and would be no problem for a touring bike at a slower pace. The spur that turns south goes to the old iron bridge some of you have seen photos of over the years (many BMWST'ers have had lunch on the rocks in that river). I just don't know I'd recommend taking a big streetbike down there unless you're fairly competent with it. The first half is gravel with some switchbacks but the bottom is single lane paved nirvana, i.e. tempting : ) You can continue east on out to 107 but it's about 2/3 gravel also and mostly level.

The Chatooga Triangle

Last edited by roadscholar; 04/01/17 12:34 AM.

Bill

MOA 80884
RA

#983661 - 04/01/17 12:28 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: roadscholar]  
RightSpin Offline
RightSpin  Offline

South GA Mountains
I'm looking forward to many more, my friend. beer

Steve

2016 BMW R1200GS
1981 BMW R100CS
#983665 - 04/01/17 01:04 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: RightSpin]  
roadscholar Offline
roadscholar  Offline

N. Fla.
10-4 bro.. thumbsup

Bill

MOA 80884
RA

#983837 - 04/03/17 01:20 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: roadscholar]  
RightSpin Offline
RightSpin  Offline

South GA Mountains
:-)

Steve

2016 BMW R1200GS
1981 BMW R100CS
#983869 - 04/03/17 02:11 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
greiffster Offline
Administrator
greiffster  Offline

Administrator

Clarksville, Tennessee
UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_C (157-282)
[The Clash, 1982]

This return route will definitely have you “Rocking the Pisgah” ridge. A short westerly stint on the BRP and the US-276 exit towards Brevard starts your journey past a number of waterfalls! If there has been a lot of recent rain, all of the falls on the route can really put on a show! US-276 is a great road but can get crowded at times, especially as you near the beautiful Looking Glass Falls. There’s easy parking and no walk is necessary. After skirting Brevard, a decent road takes you to a parking lot in Dupont State Park, where three falls are reachable by foot. Hooker Falls is a short stroll from the bikes. Triple Falls is quite a hike uphill but simply spectacular. High Falls is yet further by foot, or you can ride directly to its own parking lot. Movie buffs may recognize these falls from “Last of the Mohicans” and/or “The Hunger Games” series. This area is District 12 after all! A nice skirt along the east fork of the French Broad (River, that is) takes you to US-64 in Rosman. US-64, leads you to Kim Miller Rd., followed shortly after by Slick Fisher Rd. These fun back roads eventually put you out on Hwy 281, Canada Rd. The path home from there is as described in the previous two return routes.

-Mike
'08 GSA
"If I don't like it, I'm not blaming myself!"
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger
#984146 - 04/06/17 12:48 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]  
TyTass Offline
TyTass  Offline

VA BEACH VA

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen (123)
[AC/DC, 1981]

Helen GA is in no way a Hell, unless you despise a little good-natured, German kitsch and excellent German fare. Helen is a little town in northern GA whose German-descended inhabitants decided to rebuild the town in a Bavarian theme after WWII. Well, there’re good and bad German restaurants and the town can get busy with tourists (mostly on weekends), but the roads getting there always make it worth it. Besides, we don’t send folks to bad restaurants.

Leaving the resort, you’ll head down the entirety of Moonshiner 28. Between Franklin and Highlands on 28/64 you’ll pass several waterfalls, two of which are waypoints on the route. Cullasaja Falls has a tiny, paved pull-out on the right that is immediately after a sharp, blind, left-hander. Bridal Veil Falls is closer to Highlands, on your left and is paved around behind the falls. After town, you’ll plunge down the final third of Moonshiner 28. The curves get tighter as you descend into Georgia, until suddenly your GPS is screaming at you to make a very hard right onto Warwoman Rd., which you can’t see at all. Don’t worry, there’s a church about a mile or so past where you can turn around. Warwoman rocks just as much as the name implies. You’ll then weave thru and past a couple small towns, skirt a reservoir, and then a state park with a cool double waterfall (Anna Ruby), and then you arrive in Hell … I mean … Helen! The recommended restaurant on the route is Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast, lunch, and unbelievable German pastries! However, just down the street, the Troll Tavern serves up some typical German pub-grub with outdoor seating along a beautiful river.

Last edited by TyTass; 04/06/17 12:48 PM.

Craig
04 R1150RT (Sold)

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  EffBee