IGNORED

Any ideas about what type of gage this is?

chrisd

Joe Frickin' Friday
ACME thread pitch?

Some hard rock drilling equipment has round threads on drill steel, don't know what they are called.

Sounds like knuckle thread, but I don't think the OP's gauge would fit that; the troughs/crests of knuckle thread appear to be the same, whereas the OP's gauge comes to points where it would fit in the troughs, like it's designed to measure a scalloped surface.

ACME thread pitch?

Some hard rock drilling equipment has round threads on drill steel, don't know what they are called.

My vote is a thread pitch feeler gauage.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Clearly, none of you have ever worked with fnortners. :whistle:

Not even sure that is a word. :lurk:

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

I would hope that this discussion would embiggen others to expand their vocabulary.

Reservoir level gauge for the turn signal fluid,

OR

Wear gauge for the muffler bearing (left side only as the gauge for the right has the wear indicators on the other side).

Reservoir level gauge for the turn signal fluid,

OR

Wear gauge for the muffler bearing (left side only as the gauge for the right has the wear indicators on the other side).

:grin: You're closer to figuring this out than I am.

Nice! :beer:

Used by klooge-makers the world over.

I was a machinist for quite some time, and I never saw one of these. Any ideas?

i-MTWsRX9-L.jpg

This certifiably unobtanium and worth a fortune for those trying to fix their flux capacitor! Don't let someone try to buy them at a low price. :thumbsup:

Hahaha, thanks, John. I would never have guessed that. And I just had a garage door installed.

Interesting side note- the guy selling this is a private seller with about 930 active posts on craigslist.

Joe Frickin' Friday
A guy on FB has the answer: Garage door spring gauge

Thanks for posting that; this has been burning a hole in my brain all week.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Springs, we don't need no stinking springs.

No springs garage door

Sounds nice. A couple of years ago our garage door spring broke as the door was nearly closed - in other words, it was wound up just about as tight as it ever gets. It was like a shotgun going off inside the garage, scared the bejeebers out of me.

A couple of years ago our garage door spring broke as the door was nearly closed - in other words, it was wound up just about as tight as it ever gets. It was like a shotgun going off inside the garage, scared the bejeebers out of me.

Both garage doors at my home with the long springs that run the length of the track have a nylon rope inside them. Tied off at each end, these can literally save a life. I have seen what these springs can do when they break.

Joe Frickin' Friday
A couple of years ago our garage door spring broke as the door was nearly closed - in other words, it was wound up just about as tight as it ever gets. It was like a shotgun going off inside the garage, scared the bejeebers out of me.

Both garage doors at my home with the long springs that run the length of the track have a nylon rope inside them. Tied off at each end, these can literally save a life. I have seen what these springs can do when they break.

My first house had axial springs like that, but I don't recall them being tethered as you describe; I figured if they broke the pieces would have vertical momentum, but of course unpredictable ricochets could happen. My current home's garage door has a torsion spring (this is where the OP's spring gauge would have been used), so when it broke, the pieces were still wrapped around the pulley shaft and couldn't go anywhere.

Springs, we don't need no stinking springs.

No springs garage door

Sounds nice. A couple of years ago our garage door spring broke as the door was nearly closed - in other words, it was wound up just about as tight as it ever gets. It was like a shotgun going off inside the garage, scared the bejeebers out of me.

I was sleeping one night a woke because of a loud and strange sound from our garage. Went and looked. Hmmmmm.... nothing. Then the next morning I tried to raise the door! Broken spring still on the tube.

My shop has the axial springs. Much better. I think much more expensive too! The long skinny springs that stretch out lengthwise that are on the house garage doors are more common I think. I learned to install the rope inside the diameter probably 30 or more years ago. With garage door down, and spring stretched out, you can snake a length of good nylon rope down the length. Leave a touch of slack and tie off at or near the spring end mount. I have had one break with rope inside, it simply stayed in place.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mine came w/a rope latch release so it can be raised/lowered by hand, if need be.

My garage door is two cars wide; when the spring broke and trapped the cars inside, I had to raise the door by hand, and it was HEAVY... :eek:

I had the old style springs on my garage door many years ago and one apparently broke overnight. When I was finally able to get the door up, I found I no longer had a windshield on the Vetter on my '78 Wing.