IGNORED

Group riding

Bud

This happened yesterday a few miles from my house.

The eastbound lanes of Interstate 64 were shut down Friday for more than four hours after three motorcyclists crashed in Washington County.

Illinois State Police Trooper Joey Watson said several motorcyclists were riding in a group, east on the highway a few miles from Okawville, when the car in front of the group slowed.

That caused three of the motorcycles in the group to crash.

“They were traveling too closely together within the group; it was a chain reaction,” Watson said.

Brandon Harrison, 33, of Columbia, Mo., was ejected from his Harley — he was flown to a regional hospital for serious injuries. Junction City, Kansas, resident Arron Chaney, 30, was taken to a local hospital for injuries and a third rider, 24-year-old Mikhail Williams of Columbia, Mo., refused medical treatment.

All three riders were wearing helmets. Chaney was charged with failing to slow down to avoid an accident.

Watson said the eastbound lanes were closed as officials conducted a thorough investigation by reconstructing the scene.

The investigation was ongoing Friday, according to Watson.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/news/local/article133430629.html#storylink=cpy

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Not a fan of riding in a group, or even close to others in a very small group.....of 2. It keeps one from riding their own ride.

I'm always reminded of the "Lemmings unite! Over the cliff!" video when I see tight groups and large groups in general.

Edited by Danny caddyshack Noonan

It has been my observation that lots of groups tend to ride side by side. This includes cruisers and sport bikes. Having followed many of these groups on my way to remote roads I usually see them accordion back and forth with lots bunching up even when they are staggered. I give them a wide berth and follow at a distance. The exception to this is when riding with folks from here. Always single file and staggered. I think we all read the same book. Every summer I see accidents in the local news very similar to the one in your article. You would thing that they would learn. I always ride my own ride. I usually ride with people with a similar style in small groups. I have however ridden with lots of riders with much better skills, we make it clear in the beginning that I will catch up at the next stop or intersection as they usually wait for me.

Edited by ltljohn

Too close for comfort, not for me.

I quit doing Toys For Tots after a few rides in formation/stagger where riders around me wanted to read my

GPS.

Any little thing, and...

NOw a group that spreads out a bit, keeping safe distances, w/bikes in good condition, riders too, usually OK.

I've led groups of 2-8 up to the mountains from here numerous times w/no problems. (Other than Jacqueline grabbing about 3 foot of air over a raised RR crossing :P )

Same for rides in the mountains.

Speed sensible, spacing sensible.

No problems,

As one of those people that shows up these types of events post incident, what I have seen mirrors a lot of commentary so far. When I roll up on scene I look at the type of bikes involved and start to guess mechanism and potential injuries. I will not drone on about that. As well know, it's the simple things that get us. One being this scenario. Three or more riders bunched together and one thing starts the chain and everything goes sideways (probably literally). I do enjoy riding in small groups (2-4) but as John stated, single file and staggered. I have always found it interesting how us Sport Touring people (no matter the manufacture) tend to think, act, ride and dress (ATGATT or close to it) in a similar fashion.

Here is a recent LEO (Law Enforcement) incident of two officers riding in formation a rock and things going wrong.

http://www.wral.com/report-durham-deputy-hit-rock-before-chain-reaction-crash-that-injured-3/16526556/

I only ride with one maybe two other bikes but mostly by myself. One of the safety courses I took involved having the entire group go for lunch at the same place. The instructor said, "Group rides are good as long as everyone knows the rules and follows them." He then went on to explain no side-by-side only staggered riding with room between bikes. Also, the leader had a set of hand signals that were used to point out road debris, also single file (if needed), how to change out the lead rider, where turns were to happen, and the best part - once the leader put up the hand signal it was to be repeated all the way down the line so that everyone acknowledged they understood. It is the only time I felt safe in a group. (the instructor was X MC Cop)

Very true - Mr. Brown is great and his courses are as well. I am looking to see if he is offering the second level course on a day that I can attend. Every time I take the courses, even if I have taken them before, I re-learn so much. It so helps my performance, it is amazing.

I used to work with Mark in the critical care field after he retired from NCHP. My first bike was 1150RT-P that used to be his when he was on the force. Anyways back to topic. He opened a branch in Wake Forrest, if we can get a few of us together I know he will be willing to discount for us.

Have wanted to take one of his courses for a while.

BTW, are you by chance going to START?

Mike

Hey Mike, no idea what START is - sorry.

As for motomark1 - his location in Burlington is easier for me from home. I also see where he opened a place in Florida - great way to tax expense a winter vacation and get some training/riding in. Smart guy!!

Hey Mike, no idea what START is - sorry.

START is one of the bmwst events that happens in the Spring. Typically centered in Western NC or Northern GA. Click the link to find out more.

Sonor:

I've never had friends that good before that came before a ride. Enjoy your time with them, see you sometime soon when you take a mental health day.

Mike

I will chime in with a comment that will probably draw some flack.

What has staggered got to do with it. If the bikes are sufficiently separated, riders can ride on whatever side of the lane they want. Generally I prefer the left car tire track as it discourages cars from trying to pass in my lane. Occasionally, if a motorcycle is ahead of me, I will ride on the opposite side of the lane (staggered) for the better view ahead that it gives me, but the separation should make that a preference not a safety requirement.

I occasionally have ridden with one other bike, only once in my life with a bigger group. Once was enough.

Edited by Green RT