IGNORED

Water Pump Question

RTinNC

Is it a design issue, probably.
My money is on a supplier slipping on quality control. The actual small numbers of failures tells me the design is sound.

Frank

Is it a design issue, probably.
My money is on a supplier slipping on quality control. The actual small numbers of failures tells me the design is sound.

Evening Frank

If BMW's supplier is slipping on quality control then they have been slipping for 4 years on the 1200lc, 7 years on the K1600, & almost 11 years on the F 800.

I know of a couple of K 1600 owners that are on their 5th or 6th water pump so that is some slipping supplier. (seems that BMW wouldn't still be with those suppliers if it was a basic long term supplier quality issue)

Are there any reports of water pump failure or is it limited to leaking? Wonder if this bike would stay cool by air only if pump failure..

Evening Skywagon

No way as the oil cooling of the exhaust valve area has been replaced by water, same way with the cylinders as the water channels would preclude external air cooling from working correctly. (might be able to idle it around for a while but not ride it under road load for long)

I can't say that I have ever heard of a total water pump failure on the 1200 lc bike but sure have on the K1600's.

Long term my concern with the 1200 pumps seeping is antifreeze/coolant induced corrosion at the weep hole closing it up & blocking it off so the inner chamber could then become pressurized & force coolant into the engine oil.

Thanks as always. Even though not a drop from mine, I think as part of oil change I will take a pipe cleaner and insure the hole is at least open.

I figured it would overheat w/o water, but glad to confirm.