IGNORED

Diode to increase charging voltage

BoisePilot

Can anyone direct me to the tutorial on how to add a small resistor to the stock BMW voltage regulator on an oilhead to increase the voltage? I saw an article on how to do this some time back but foolishly did not save it. I have a AGM battery and I would like to charge it at higher voltage than stock. I only got three years out of my last AGM even though I keep it on an approved battery tender when not riding. 2004 R1150rt

Good morning all. I bought one of the above regulators, will put it in sometime this year when I get around to pulling the bike to do it's spline lube. I'll let you know the before and after charging voltages when that happens if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Dadrider

Edited by Dadrider
It doesnt say what the end results will be with the new regulator.

" slightly higher voltage setting than the original"

Further down the page, under the specifications, it says, "Technical Specification: Bosch IR/IF Alternators with 14 mm slip ring, 12 Volt A-Circuit, 14.5 Volt Setting"

The stock regulator is 14.0V so the replacement is 0.5V higher. Keep in mind that the actual voltage will be lower as the alternator heats up due to its temperature compensation of both regulators.

Update on my PC680. I bought it in 2012. By 2013, with regular BT Jr. charging and a stock alternator, it was sulfated and at 70% capacity. I reconditioned it in 2013 to 90+% capacity, got a new charger and a new Vreg. After a long ride yesterday, i made two stops and restarts and put the bike away. This morning my five year-old PC680 measures 12.92V, about what you'd get with a new battery. I don't regularly recharge the battery any more.

Edited by roger 04 rt

FWIW - I've gotten 10+ years each out of two Oddessey PC680 batteries using just a stock BT Jr as a maintainer. One junker still starts my 1940 Piper J4A as an APU.

I installed this regulator (Internal Voltage Regulator - BMW R Oilhead & K ; 12 31 1 739 365 / Bosch, $39 plus $9.20 postage) from EME three weeks ago on a '99 R1100S ABS and PC680. Lori there was very knowledgeable and helpful making sure it was the correct unit for my bike.

The instructions said that the alt, belt, ABS, frame strut, and Motronic had to be removed just to install the regulator. We got mine installed by only removing the ABS and Motronic. Alt, belt, and frame strut stayed in place. We removed the ABS and Motronic, the alt cables, and the black plastic cover from the rear of the alt. It was captured but we rotated it until the cutout for the cable connections gave access to the 2 regulator screws. The new reg slipped right in. EZPZ. Then you have to install everything and bleed the ABS.

Lowndes

This weekend I helped out a friend with a 2002 Harley Deuce. The dealership had installed a new Deka AGM battery, he trickle charges using a BT+ and his regulator is 14v. He's been having trouble starting. After he'd charged the battery overnight I put it on a proper AGM charge. In spite of it having been fully charged by the BT, my charger put out a 1.4A charge for the better part of an hour, showing that the BT didn't fully charge his AGM battery.

Update on my PC680. I bought it in 2012. By 2013, with regular BT Jr. charging and a stock alternator, it was sulfated and at 70% capacity. I reconditioned it in 2013 to 90+% capacity, got a new charger and a new Vreg. After a long ride yesterday, i made two stops and restarts and put the bike away. This morning my five-year-old PC680 measures 12.92V, about what you'd get with a new battery. I don't regularly recharge the battery anymore.

Roger 04,

My PC680 died last summer, wouldn't take a charge. I left in on a BatteryTINDER for a day, still no charge. So, I bought a new PC680. Then read a bunch about the proper charging and maintenance of an AGM battery.

One source is here: AGM Battery Info

I bought a BatteryMINDer on Amazon for $65 (BatteryMINDer Charger-Desulfator - 12 Volt, AGM Batteries, Model# 2012-AGM) and just for fun put it on the old, dead PC680. After one day it was back up to 75% and 95% after another day. It's alive and well on a friend's R65, we rode it this past Sat. THIS made a believer of me in the "desulfator" claims by BatterMINDer. Forget the BatteryTINDER.

I replaced the Vreg from EME (about $45) several days ago. Fairly easy except for bleeding the ABS. New brushes and a spare Vreg made more sense than trying to install a diode. Although I may do that on the old Vreg.

No, I have no relationship with BatteryMINDer except as a VERY satisfied customer

Lowndes

Edited by Lowndes