IGNORED

2012 1200RT

georgem

Looking at a 2012 RT. Had a '98rt and went all try

U it. Any pros and cons on a 2012? Still have to use the Stan tool during break bleeds? That kind of stuff?

Put 85K miles on a '10 and 28K on a '13 and both have been bullet proof.

Outside of normal maintenance items, I've purchased only one valve shim. Easy to take the plastic off/on for maintenance. No special tools needed for brake/clutch bleeds.

They seem to have none of the Hexhead issues like gas leaks or driveshaft failure.

Wilbers or Ohlins shocks greatly improve the ride and handling. And there is no heat from radiators on your shins.

I hope mine last the rest of my riding days.

My 2012 has 52,000 miles. Usual maintenance servicing. Fluids brake bleed, pads that kind of routine maintenance. Plenty of power. Usual replacement of switch blocks under BMW recall campaign. Bike is a joy to ride.

I bought my 2012 with about 3600 miles on the odometer. It now has 36000 miles. Nothing but normal maintenance and the replacement of the left and right switch gear under warranty. It has been bulletproof.

Doug

BMW replaced the left and right switchgear for RTs about two years ago. There should be a thread somewhere.

You will have to adjust to conventional turn signals. Good thing IMHO but many people hate the change.

Looks like the 2014 RT has several quirks I don't like. Maintenance reminder reset, that's 200 miles away in Houston. Hate to fide in Houston. Additional water system, water pump, radiater? 2012 looking better to me!

Any additional issues with the water head? Weight go up? Maintenance?

Very few issues with the newer RTs, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say BMW nailed this one! :thumbsup:

Now admittedly, I don't have a ton of miles on my RT but I've been paying attention to the riders that have and I've not heard of any major problems.

The 12 & 13 RTs are fine bikes with years of refinement so you won't go wrong either way. :thumbsup:

Now the 14s weight wait, yeah it's gonna go up a bit while your buddies catch up to you! :grin:

Pat

Looks like the 2014 RT has several quirks I don't like. Maintenance reminder reset, that's 200 miles away in Houston. Hate to fide in Houston. Additional water system, water pump, radiater? 2012 looking better to me!

Morning georgem

The 2012 also has a service reminder to reset. But no real reason to HAVE TO reset it as it doesn't effect bike's performance in any way.

The 2012 also has a radiator only it is an oil cooling radiator.

There is a excuse for everything and everyone.

That is why BMW is building the Heritage series and continues building CamHead bikes.

It may just be another year or two, before they start building a Heritage RT.

Thanks all, I purchased a 2012 today, same scheme as the bike in the link TEWKS sent. 100= miles to get home. so far so good. now I have to try and figure out the radio as i received np manual. downloaded the owners manual, but it looks like the radio is a supplement!!