IGNORED

NAV V Locking system for RT

strataj

That's incredibly ugly. You'd think something smaller that just covers the factory release button would have been more sanitary. :eek:

MB>

Have to agree! That looks like something I'd put together in my garage. I would expect better from Wunderlich.

I have a lightweight cover for the bike when parked for a while on trips. I have only removed the GPS a couple of times, when the "neighborhood" was in question. With the cover on, most people don't think about pilfering. With the cover off, how many actually know how to remove it? Comes down to risk, I'll risk having it stolen to keep me from worrying about small details on rides.

I have a lightweight cover for the bike when parked for a while on trips. I have only removed the GPS a couple of times, when the "neighborhood" was in question. With the cover on, most people don't think about pilfering. With the cover off, how many actually know how to remove it? Comes down to risk, I'll risk having it stolen to keep me from worrying about small details on rides.

+1 :grin:

I'd think any punk with a screwdriver could pop the Nav out in half a second even with that ugly contraption.

Evening John

It doesn't look like it would even take a screwdriver. Just a quick firm pull up on the rear lip of that thing & the dash plastic breaks allowing the GPS to come out.

Not only lose the GPS but end up with broken dash plastic.

I leave mine on almost all the time when parking. If I get nervous about it, I put it in a bag and lock the bag...takes maybe 10 seconds and the price is perfect $0.00

Andrew Harmsworth

I have modded mine to keep a complete Oem look but deter the opertunistic theif.

I removed the button filled in the slot that causes it to click into the bike with a bit of epoxy and put a bit of plastic in the other side of the button that prevents it releasing the sat nav.

The button goes back in looks OEM but cannot work, to release it I pull out the button and use a small screw driver to pop it out.

Not really connected with this thread but if anyone's interested I start a new one with picks

Butt ugly!

I have wondered if someone would eventually come up with a replacement for the OEM release button with an integrated key lock. It would foil the quick opportunist thief. Frankly, regardless of the anti-theft approach to lock down the Nav device anyone wanting to steal it could just pry it off the dash and leave a bigger mess to fix.

I would very much like to see what you've done here.

thanks,

Len

I have modded mine to keep a complete Oem look but deter the opertunistic theif.

I removed the button filled in the slot that causes it to click into the bike with a bit of epoxy and put a bit of plastic in the other side of the button that prevents it releasing the sat nav.

The button goes back in looks OEM but cannot work, to release it I pull out the button and use a small screw driver to pop it out.

Not really connected with this thread but if anyone's interested I start a new one with picks

And I thought the BMW MOA crowd were a bunch of malcontents who could find fault with anything. This seems like a viable product to me. All you have to do is dissuade the casual thief. This will get that job done. A potential thief will see a key lock on top of the unit, and think "it's locked on, move on". If they start messing with it, the movement will cause the theft alarm to engage. If I'm walking away from the bike for multiple hours, I'll take the GPS out of the cradle and lock it away. But, if I'm walking a half block to a diner for lunch, this device will do the job.

• 4 months later...
I just remove it. Takes but a second.

And lock it in one of the cubbies works fine. Not worth the hassle and expense and absolutely if anyone really wanted it locked or not it could easily be extracted.

Edited by NoelCP
I just remove it. Takes but a second.

And lock it in one of the cubbies works fine. Not worth the hassle and expense and absolutely if anyone really wanted it locked or not it could easily be extracted.

But I have things in both cubbies already and they are very, very small.!!

Add to that, the same person who will seal your SatNav if left on the bike whilst you carry out that quick errand is the same person who saw you put it in the cubby that can be opened in moments with a screwdriver!!

PS - That truly ugly Wunderlich thing would not stop any thief for more than 10 seconds and as other have said, in that time they will do ££/$$ of damage before they walk away with your GPS!! Of course they could spend 30 seconds with a tork key or small spanner taking the ugly thing off / removing the locking bit but why would they waste the time when they can just damage your bike and walk away sooner?

Edited by TJRL
Bill_Walker

Is there still a market for stolen GPSs, when everybody with a smartphone has a GPS already? Yes, the motorcycle-specific units are very expensive, but part of the reason for that is that the market for them is fairly small.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How about this:

http://www.oldtimers.si

I fitted this item a few weeks back and it does a good job even if a bit pricy. Of course as others have said "locking" or disabling the release button is not real security but it will slow down or stop the casual thief.

Anyway the Oldtimers unit is a good OEM like item and you can hear it locking and unlocking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have also purchase this kit, yes it was a bit pricey, but it was very easy to mount.

I also made i Y-cable with oem BMW plugs, so i don't have to cut the oem cable to the actuator.

Oldtimers

Edited by austavla