IGNORED

Trip to Newfoundland

frankieboy

I'm planning a trip to Newfoundland and possibly Labrador this summer. I ride a 2004 K1200GT. I will be taking the Ferry from Portland Maine to Yarmouth and then riding from there. I'm planning for being on the road for 2 to 3 weeks. Any recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated.

frankieboy

Tom K and I have done NF a couple times and enjoyed both trips. We always rode from through Maine into New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to catch the ferry at Sidney, NS. The first trip taking the ferry straight north to Port Aux Basques, NF (6 hrs) and riding straight north along the coast. You'll want to spend some time at the Gros Morne Nat’l Park and also visit the Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows.

On the second trip we took the ferry to Argenta near St John's (overnight ferry) and rode across the north coast returning via Port Aux Basques. Things to catch along that route include:

Signal Hill near St John’s where Marconi first transmitted across the atlantic

The BMW dealer in St J (one dealer for NF and Labrador)

Musgrave Harbour

Gander Bay

St Anthony (icebergs)

Gros Morne Nat’l Park (again)

I attached a garmin gdb file or our route for this trip.

Pointers:

It will probably rain and be cold so be prepared

Don't pass up gas stations or motels. Best to have motels planned ahead. Both are far apart in some areas.

Watch out for moose

Watch out for Screech (local rum) - it's deadly

We found the people very friendly and accommodating.

Have a great trip!

6663.gdb

I've been there twice, it's a ruggedly beautiful place. As Dave mentioned, you will not find a friendlier people anywhere! He filled you in pretty completely so all I can add is to ride the Cabot Trail on your way up or back, well worth it! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Pat

I've been there twice, it's a ruggedly beautiful place. As Dave mentioned, you will not find a friendlier people anywhere! He filled you in pretty completely so all I can add is to ride the Cabot Trail on your way up or back, well worth it! :thumbsup:

Pat

+1 on the Cabot Trail.

Since you are in the area, do not miss Cabot Trail! Allow at least

two days to ride thru, although it can be done in one. Enjoy your trip!

Something to consider is towing insurance.

I have Progressive motorcycle insurance. For $15/year, I have unlimited towing to the nearest authorized BMW dealer in the US and Canada. I called before my trip to Nova Scotia. Yes, they said, unlimited mileage for me and the bike.

Hard to beat. When you are in parts of the Rock you will be hundreds of miles away from a Beemer dealer.

Something to consider.

Pat

+1 on the Cabot Trail.

Counterclockwise

Pat

+1 on the Cabot Trail.

Counterclockwise

And, I bet you have pictures to prove it. :grin:

I have pics of my second trip through Labrador and then on to Newfoundland. I actually did a much delayed ride report here. But my first trip on my RSL, I have no idea what happened to the pics of that trip. :( I know we took some but they never made it into an album.

There is a box of about a thousand pictures upstairs. Hold on I'll be back! :grin:

Pat

There is a box of about a thousand pictures upstairs. Hold on I'll be back! :grin:

Pat

I'll ask my buddy and keep looking. It's personal now! :mad::grin:

Pat

Ok, this is definitely proof I need to get a life! :D Found a few but as I mentioned before, photobucket is kicking my butt, it's almost unusable.

Believe this is Nova Scotia.

53a4b54b-c485-4775-bc95-3bcc9c077afc_zpsohnx6emw.jpg

Pat

Yes, lousy note taking and as time goes by, my clarity is not as clear. :old:

ad77fb43-55dc-4b41-858e-89bd62de25f7_zpsgo4blljn.jpg

Edit...slowdoughbucket. :grin:

You and Tom may recognize this signage.

7a6800e6-86b8-4a56-80ae-d36fe2bda209_zpshrlc61r0.jpg

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

From my ride in 2014.

DSC_1431-1.jpg

I'm the old fat guy in red. IMG_2627_zps34e088f1.jpg

End of the world.

PaulandShorti16_zps98a5fa80.jpg

Right in front of my tent.

IMG_2620_zps5170b285.jpg

When we were there the winds were so strong tents were being blown away unless serious weight inside them.

From my ride in 2014. Right in front of my tent.

IMG_2620_zps5170b285.jpg

Sleepwalkers need not apply! :jaw::grin:

Pat

You don't see the picnic table between the front door of my tent and the sign. :wave::grin:

• 2 months later...
frankieboy

Thanks for the info. I'm 3 weeks away and am now planning to install accessories. I have a k1200gt 2006 and want to install a gopro session hero as well as an android galaxy 8s+. Any recommendations? I'd like to mount the gopro on the left mirror. It's very small and light but am concerned with damaging the plastic.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I like it mounted on my helmet best. If you're trying to entertain with the footage, it projects what you have seen a little better.

Good luck and safe travels!

Pat