IGNORED

Mrs. Robinson

TEWKS

robinson11.jpg

My buddy Jim (I feel like Peter Egan, he always has a buddy named Jim) :grin: just bought one and I'm going to meet him at the H/D dealership on Thursday so he can finish paperwork and I can check it out.

This could be a dangerous mission (i'm a sucker for shiny things) wish me luck. :grin:

2017 Ultra Limited

PS....no BMWs were harmed in the making of this post. :rofl:

Pat

I think it needs more letters in its name. What's wrong with the other 19 it left out. And, in the same vein, aren't "Ultra" and "Limited" a little inconsistent. :stir:

Will,

I've left that one alone for years to keep peace, but you are right on the money.

Ultra Limited.

Extremely small...not going to go there.

Never did have the secret decoder ring, but FLH is always asigned to their big motor models. To be fair R1200RT(w) is a mouthful as well! And it is the Rushmore (wet head) engine....Sweet!

When shopping for a new ride, I kept my wife the hell away from anything with FLH Ultra in the name cuz one sit on that BarcaLounger saddle and my blasting the twisties on a RT days would have been in serious jeopardy. That is one seriously excellent touring bike! Your buddy Jim has lots of big grin time in front of him

Tewks - was it over or under $35K?

It was quite a bit under I believe.

I don't know the exact details of the deal but he traded two bikes. A 2011 Street Glide and a Ninja 1000, yeah, he's kinda funny like that! :grin:

Pat

I don't know the exact details of the deal but he traded two bikes. A 2011 Street Glide and a Ninja 1000, yeah, he's kinda funny like that! :grin:

Pat

Makes sense to me to have the right tool for the job at hand. Shaping a bush requires a hedge trimmer. Clearing an overgrown bush requires a chain saw.

Makes sense to me to have the right tool for the job at hand.

Paul, I subscribe to that train of thought whenever possible. :thumbsup: Or more accurately, right up to the precipice of divorce! :rofl:

Pat

fourteenfour
Never did have the secret decoder ring, but FLH is always asigned to their big motor models. To be fair R1200RT(w) is a mouthful as well! And it is the Rushmore (wet head) engine....Sweet!

that is a 107, so it is a Milwaukee 8 and not the engine found in the prior Rushmore models. Though Rushmore was more a designation of their new touring models because of improvements to electronics, bags, and such.

The M8 is a great motor and the suspension is different from 103 as it is all Showa

Tewks,

If you didn't spring for that triple black GSA, somehow I don't think you will go for a HOG? :grin:

Oh, I just bought my new GS a black accessory. :Cool:

Tewks,

If you didn't spring for that triple black GSA, somehow I don't think you will go for a HOG? :grin:

Oh, I just bought my new GS a black accessory. :Cool:

You're probably right Doug, it'd mean I may have to give up the original Mrs. Robinson after 25 years. :( Bumots? :grin:

73ab1046-7b98-4ec7-aadb-c54123f64009_zpsgdhzflhw.jpg

Pat

Whatever floats your boat. :grin:

Bring it to the UN so everyone can get a chance to ride it! :clap:

So long as it's not too loud right ;)

Pat, I can't believe Ninja Jim opted out,.......I guess no more spirited riding is in the future for him eh?

Pat, I can't believe Ninja Jim opted out,.......I guess no more spirited riding is in the future for him eh?

Ha, you remembered his nickname! :grin: He just retired from the FD and plans on doing more two up riding. Still has a Tiger 800 that he flogs mercilessly! :grin:

Pat

Ha, you remembered his nickname! :grin: He just retired from the FD and plans on doing more two up riding. Still has a Tiger 800 that he flogs mercilessly! :grin:

Pat

Sooooo,.....does that mean that you da boss now???? Promotions coming your way?

No, unfortunately I'm a slacker. But, a happy slacker! :grin:

Pat

Good on ya!! Tell him I said congrats on the retirement.

I will, thanks Richard! :thumbsup: He plans on being down in your neck of the woods sometime in May. Little Switzerland inn made an impression on him too.

Pat

I will, thanks Richard! :thumbsup: He plans on being down in your neck of the woods sometime in May. Little Switzerland inn made an impression on him too.

Pat

I might just have to dust off the Shadow and go ride with him,......but gotta have a fuel stop about every 120 miles (small tank).

Lone_RT_rider

that is a 107, so it is a Milwaukee 8 and not the engine found in the prior Rushmore models. Though Rushmore was more a designation of their new touring models because of improvements to electronics, bags, and such.

The M8 is a great motor and the suspension is different from 103 as it is all Showa

There is some more information here. I have been doing a bit of research on the topic lately.

There is some more information here. I have been doing a bit of research on the topic lately.

Even better. Reviews of the 4 valve head motor has been very good. Suspension has been a challenge for HD, particularly the rear where they don't have a lot of travel to work with. Would the new Showa suspension now include dampening adjustment?

Edited by Paul De

I find the appeal of Harley's to be a very interesting study in human psychology. The following paragraph extracted from the article linked by Lone_RT illustrates some of that perfectly:

"For the first time in a rubber-mounted Big Twin, a single counter-rotating internal balancer is used to cancel 75 percent of the engine’s primary shaking force. When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel. Riders of long ago accepted lots of raw vibration, but most riders today do not—and Harley-David­son here appears to be satisfying the faithful customer with some of the shake they love while also smoothing the engine to the degree that will attract new customers with an increased level of refinement. Heavy vibration is tiring, so long-distance riders want engine smoothness—but still want the drama of handlebars shaking at idle—and the relationship with the moving parts."

I've always thought Harley Daves were beautiful bikes. I even checked some out when I was shopping for a bigger road-going bike to compliment my KLR. The fit and finish is spot on. Nothing about them feels cheap. My issue is this - I just can't get behind that whole feet-forward riding position. To be fair, I didn't test ride one - I just sat on it, but it simply felt wrong to me. Maybe if I put a few hundred miles on one it would feel more natural. But much respect to those that truly ride and enjoy their Harleys, or anything else for that matter. Just ride your own bike and enjoy the scenery.

Oh, I think your Aunt Dot may have a smile on her face! ;)

Pat

My issue is this - I just can't get behind that whole feet-forward riding position. To be fair, I didn't test ride one - I just sat on it, but it simply felt wrong to me. Maybe if I put a few hundred miles on one it would feel more natural.

Brian,

I know what you are saying. But, if you get the chance, ride one. I swapped my RT with my friend's Road Glide last year riding through NC. Sat back in the saddle and kicked the feet up on the highway pegs. I enjoyed the ride. There is something there, and it doesn't take a hundred miles.

Lone_RT_rider

Oh, I think your Aunt Dot may have a smile on her face! ;)

Pat

Yes, she just might.... ;)

20170225_142034-XL.jpg

I purchased a new 2016 Road Glide Ultra and could not deal with the Excessive heat output, the weight, poor handling and lack of suspension. Sold it at a $1500 loss and learned my lesson. I know the 2017 has improved suspension and the new motor but don't think it is enough, the rest of the bike is the same. I really wanted the Harley to be the right bike for the wife and I and sure she would have loved it but it just didn't work for me.

Lucky to only loose $1,500! :clap:

Sometimes things don't work out.

I'm selling a boat right now because my wife wasn't happy with it.

I've always thought Harley Daves were beautiful bikes. I even checked some out when I was shopping for a bigger road-going bike to compliment my KLR. The fit and finish is spot on. Nothing about them feels cheap. My issue is this - I just can't get behind that whole feet-forward riding position.

This is where I'm at. I have owned a metric cruiser and know that my back won't take that riding position for more than 20 minutes or so. I'm really much happier when I can get my feet under me, and I generally prefer a bike that I can stand up on while riding both for comfort and control. HD's fit and finish is second to none. Ditto their accessory catalogue. Currently, they just don't make a bike that fulfills my wants.

Well, the new and improved Mrs. Robinson is just as sexy as the original. Probably more so, but there's a little problem. Who the £#{¥ is the old guy standing behind her? :rofl:

image_zpsftwj8ros.jpg

My buddy's bike on the left. He bought the Ultra Classic, not the Limited. There is about three grand difference. $27,600 for the Quartz Black Limited, $600.00 more than the same bike in Vivid Black. Big Nut, college for one braces for the other and probably a pony. :mad::rofl:

image_zpspzh0psog.jpg

Pat

Classic bagger and sure is shiny.

The old guy? Hmmmmmm............... Hard to distinguish one from another now days. :grin::lurk:

Lone_RT_rider

Pat,

I see a 107 badge on the side of that. So that's the 2017 M8, correct?

Well, the new and improved Mrs. Robinson is just as sexy as the original. Probably more so, but there's a little problem. Who the £#{¥ is the old guy standing behind her? :rofl:

image_zpsftwj8ros.jpg

My buddy's bike on the left. He bought the Ultra Classic, not the Limited. There is about three grand difference. $27,600 for the Quartz Black Limited, $600.00 more than the same bike in Vivid Black. Big Nut, college for one braces for the other and probably a pony. :mad::rofl:

image_zpspzh0psog.jpg

Pat

terryofperry

"Big Nut, college for one braces for the other and probably a pony."

Nah, you're good Pat. I've done the Orthodontics, the "pony" and now college, the new ride is less than those, just saying. :thumbsup:

Terry

Pat,I see a 107 badge on the side of that. So that's the 2017 M8, correct?

Yes Shawn, it's the new Milwaukee Eight which being a 107 sounds funny to me. But as you know it's the eight valves. I didn't get to ride one yet but (here I go again :grin:) my buddy Jim did and he was almost more impressed with the reworked suspension over the motor. He's coming from a 2011 SG.

Thinking thinking thinking, :S the only way to make this happen is to cull the two wheeled herd. I'm not sure I am emotionally stable enough for that. :rofl:

Pat

Nah, you're good Pat. I've done the Orthodontics, the "pony" and now college, the new ride is less than those, just saying. :thumbsup:

23938bd56ffa302458768cd8e597d8f6.jpg This sounds like encouragement to me! :thumbsup::rofl:

Pat

Dennis Andress
. I'm not sure I am emotionally stable enough for that. :rofl:Pat

And there is the crux of the whole matter. Buying a motorcycles is an emotional decision. For the most part BMW puts function ahead of form which provides some logic to back up the emotion. Harley is all form, all emotion.

If you need an emotional trigger just repeat endlessly: "Buy big, or go home"

Pat,I see a 107 badge on the side of that. So that's the 2017 M8, correct?

Yes Shawn, it's the new Milwaukee Eight which being a 107 sounds funny to me. But as you know it's the eight valves. I didn't get to ride one yet but (here I go again :grin:) my buddy Jim did and he was almost more impressed with the reworked suspension over the motor. He's coming from a 2011 SG.

Thinking thinking thinking, :S the only way to make this happen is to cull the two wheeled herd. I'm not sure I am emotionally stable enough for that. :rofl:

Pat

Do it.

Best case, multiple happy, more room in garage and less in$urance.

Worst.

Ooops, time to restock....

• 11 months later...
Lone_RT_rider

Pat

Well Pat, You and Strurgis have finally been a bad influence on me. I signed the papers on this today. :)

IMG_21251-X3.jpg

Edited by Lone_RT_rider
Lone_RT_rider
Vere nice !! You just bought it for research right??

Research in lean angle deprivation? ;) Research in complete Ridingsmart position optimization to prevent scraping hard parts?

Hmmmmmmm ;)

Randy, we already have a 3 car garage. It'll hold no more. Her car always gets a spot. If I get even one more I have to sell the Vette, and that ain't gonna happen. I will probably have to get rid of something as it is.

Lone_RT_rider
Wow that will move the left lane Road Hogs out of the way in a hurry! :grin: Very sharp, I did demo one and I'm a believer! :thumbsup:

Pat

That seat makes a world of difference in riding position (very upright). No other Harley has it, and it's not cheap to convert any other HD over to that seat. It has its own shock that looks like it could be used as the main rear shock on a 500 cc bike. Of course, with as big as I am, that's a good thing. Lol. I'm also pulling that rear shifter off ASAP. I already bought the cap that goes over the shaft. That second shifter just gets in the way of where my feet naturally want to go.

I've ridden a few HD's over the past year. This is the best riding position of all of them so far......for me. :)

Very nice.

.... Randy, we already have a 3 car garage. It'll hold no more. Her car always gets a spot. If I get even one more I have to sell the Vette, and that ain't gonna happen. I will probably have to get rid of something as it is.

The way I see it my wife has all the closet space for her shoes, I get the garage for the bikes. Her car is on the drive right next to mine!

She has shoes for every a occasion and you have a ride for every occasion. Fair deal right?

Stay away from the $ equivalency argument though....unless she's into Italian shoes!

Sweeeet ride! Big motor Hawgs are awesome. Where did you get it, Suburban?