IGNORED

The search for a twisty in Texas....

I am sure the Romans had something to do with the the road building in Texas (well the bit I have seen anyway)!

I waited out the "non existent" storms in Houston today and I have sorted all my gear out ready to head west to the Hill Country. I am told the Romans never got that far and the roads are as twisty as a twisty thing.

I chickened out of camping (big girls blouse) preferring to book a motel in Kerrville for Wed. night and will be giving the bike a damn good thrashing in that general area - 3 sisters I believe?

It will give me a chance to have a better evaluation of the bike and see if my backside is up to a longer ride!

This does, of course, depend on my being able to survive the trip out of Houston...boy those big pickup trucks are not to be messed with!

ps..... here is me going to Walmart for some oil.... hopefully the videos will get better because they cannot get any worse... bare with me it is early days yet and apologies for the chipmunks... ;) ....it took me all day to do it as well... a career in the movies is not for me.

Taking Highway 90 can be a lot better than I-10 if you are not in a BIG hurry! Parallels I-10 most of the way to San Antonio. Kerrville is a good place to start from. Just stay south of I-10 and there is a lot of good riding. You could however get on I-10 heading west from Kerrville and as you near Junction, Texas you will get to the 80 mph posted speed limit section of I-10. That will test your new bike out well!

Just been outside to load bike and it is cool!!! Yippeeeeee

My Hi Vis Kevlar Mankini will not be needed today - UK riding gear to the rescue....;)

How do I get the image to show up?????

6669.jpg.fdb319a6d784bb1463d2f164e6ad19b0.jpg

Edited by farmerboy

Hmmmm. I have tried every button and clicked all clickable things but the black art of showing an image has beaten me!

Anyway I have made it to motel number 8 in kerrville ( I guess 7 and 9 are somewhere close? ). Bike was great, roads were great, weather was sublime and I did not fall of so in my book it was a good day. Petrol station pumps hate my credit card and tell me to go and beg the attendant for fuel. They all say 10% ethanol so put the most expensive in the tank.

Saw a herd of buffalos near Lyndon b johnstons place and managed to set off with my shades resting on the pannier! Luckily I retrieved them as I need them to look cool whilst riding!

Not sure which roads I took but passed Austin, Fredericksburg and Johnstone.

A few corners have appeared but I still have a blue line around the rear tyre!

Hmmmm. I have tried every button and clicked all clickable things but the black art of showing an image has beaten me!

farmerboy, the preferred method is to post a link to a picture that is hosted on another site, like smugmug, Flickr or photobucket.

There is a general photo posting thread here:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=871382#Post871382

Also, in the Discussion Board Support section, there are specific how-to threads for specific photo hosting sites. Personally, I use Flickr, because it's free, and I'm thrifty. :grin:

My only concern with that is that Verizon is allegedly buying Flickr's parent Yahoo. So who knows what that means for their future.

I have also posted instructions on posting links from Google Photos--but it's much more complicated.

FB (site owner), or one of the moderators has hinted that the BMWST.com forum software may be updated in the not-too-distant future which should simplify posting photos. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Brian

Enjoying your updates - glad you got your glasses. You're going to find 10% ethanol just about everywhere in the US. Regular is just fine, unless your bike specifically requires premium. I'm guessing you're enjoying the lower cost of fuel here and feel like splurging at the pump! You may also find that octane levels may fluctuate some in higher altitude areas. Should not be an issue.

Enjoy and here's wishing you some curves! :burnout::burnout:

Cost of fuel? They are virtually giving it away in Texas!

Overall, bikes are cheaper, fuel is cheaper, roads are better and empty and the weather is superb. Paradise😎.

Cost of fuel? They are virtually giving it away in Texas!

Overall, bikes are cheaper, fuel is cheaper, roads are better and empty and the weather is superb. Paradise😎.

It is not raining quite as much as at home. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your visit.

Phew... what a day. 3 sisters this morning, I10 back to Houhston in rush hour, arrive home at 18.00, Uber to the Rodeo at 18.30 and just back.. I shall sleep well tonight then oil change in the morning when I shall meet Shelby!

Having a great time!

Not messed with video yet - sorry for the clicking - it is the clutch hitting the camera!

Edited by farmerboy

Well, today was brilliant. I met the most delightful and generous Texan I could ever hope to meet. (Shelby on this forum)

He helped me do the first oil change, fixed my 12V accessory socket, replaced my screen with a fabulous "bespoke" one and bought me lunch!

I am blown away by his generosity and kindness - a fabulous all round good guy.

Heartfelt thanks from a visiting Brit. :)

Hey Farmer and Shelby.... Mancuso BMW is having an open house with band, food, and test rides tomorrow from 11-3. You should go by. If you guys decide you might, let me know and I'll come by too; if I can pull myself from the Houston Fishing Show.

Supposed to rain.

Terry if you need my phone number let me know.

Is Mancusso in Houston? If so I shall go. What time are you planning to arrive? I shall be on a bright green Kawasaki Versys with a GB sticker on the back!

I think Shelby may be going away in his huge camper van?

Edited by farmerboy

They are in Houston. Here is there website. Was thinking about 12ish but can be influenced to alternative time. They are on Motorway 59 South of Downtown Bellaire Exit. Like that motorway comment instead of Interstate 59? They have BMW Kawasaki, Yamaha, Triumph, and Ducati...

www.tmpsw.com/

12 noon is great - sent you a text so we have each others mobiles... if you want to confirm in the morning that would be ideal. Anything for free food and a band! :)

It was wet at Mancusso!!

Skywagon looked after me extremely well and trailblazed a wet ride to his house so I could try out his dead sheep on my saddle! Another fine example of a southern gent with a gorgeous R1200RT... I am officially jealous!

I am getting used to the Houston roads and traffic now (sort of) but I have to admit to being a bit nervous, especially in the wet. I came across some seriously deep puddles and it ended up being an adventure just going to the bike shop. Good news is my new Richa rainsuit is watertight!

Time for a snooze......

ps Shelby - the screen is fabulous in the rain... thanks again.

Edited by farmerboy
  • 3 weeks later...