IGNORED

Motorcycle Shipping

Stbell

Does anybody have any recommendations on motorcycle shippers? I have recently been transferred to Northern, VA but my family will continue to stay in AZ. I normally would ride it out there but my current schedule does not permit me flying back to AZ and getting my bike out to VA anytime soon. I find myself really needing to ride and am looking at possibly shipping my bike to me in VA. Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I second the Haulbike recommendation! I had used them in 2012, when I had them bring my prior '07 RT from WA to OH. All they do is transports bike with their specialized double-decker tractor trailers.

For premium shipping, like what BMW uses, it's Allied.

They palletize the bike on pick up (special pallets) the drivers are trained to do bikes correctly. Then loaded . At the dock, they are covered with padded blankets and shrink wrapped.

I've used Haulbikes for my personal use and the bike is loaded and put on sidestand and strapped down securely. Uncovered.

Haulbikes is less expensive .

In both cases, the fine print says something like the battery and or fuel must be removed but in every instance the driver will ask " is the battery out?" You say yes, and he loads after the standard bill of laden and inspection of pre existing damage.

Just don't be flip and key up to put the screen down.

Be ready ! The driver wants to load up and move on down the road.

They normally call you an hour or so in advance but be prepared.

Lock all luggage and do not leave the key in it. They will not take your box of riding gear etc "while thier at it" . Remove any stuffed animals you have on the antenna or anything velcro'd on. Bolted on mounts are fine.

For delivery call ahead to the local dealer and ask about receiving it for you.

Good way to start a relationship .

Most states ICC laws won't allow delivery or pick up at a residence . So actually ANY business address can work . Your employer, a donut shop, etc.

If you can be there for delivery, check the bike over, and get it home as the shop may need the room. A box of pastries or a couple pizzas goes a long way in thanking the receiving shop if they have to sit on it for a bit.

Edited by Tri750

I've been happy with HaulBikes. It's been a while but no issue dropping at a private residence, I'd just insure it's not some little gated condo deal that a big rig can't negotiate.

Most states ICC laws won't allow delivery or pick up at a residence . So actually ANY business address can work . Your employer, a donut shop, etc.

That's an interesting statement since Allied has picked up my bike 6 times at my house and delivered it to friends homes all over the country.

Similar to Marty...Allied has picked up multiple bikes and cars and have shipped them from California to Texas and vice versa as well as from California to Florida... Mine wasn't in a crate but was on a plywood platform with straps to eyebolts.

On one transport they scratched the front fender. The settlement conversation took all of about 10 minutes. They paid for a new fender and installation with not a whimper.

All,thanks for all of the advice. I went with HaulBikes. Thus far the process has been easy. My bike gets picked up this Wednesday and delivered 10 days later. I am excited to get my bike out and do some east coast riding.

Thanks again

Sounds like your bike's on the way. I recently learned that some airlines will ship bikes too. A friend is shipping a bike from LA to Anchorage on Alaska Airlines. They only take bikes on certain flights. Fuel is supposed to be drained and battery disconnected.

They load the bike on a pallet, then put it in an shipping igloo before loading it on the plane. He found the price to be comparable to other shipping methods that would have required the purchase of a shipping crate for the bike. Fully insured.

I realize this may be different from shipping around the lower 48 states, but it was interesting news to me.

Interesting. I have had a friend's bike picked up at my house several times. I was never asked if the fuel was out and the battery removed or disconnected by a driver. They just loaded it on a pallet and were gone.

Having air shipped to Germany 4 times and out of the UK once I can assure you that I have never been asked to disconnect the battery or drain the fuel. Its always mentioned in the rules but never at the shipping point. Quite frankly

the rule is stupid. Anyone with a brain should know that you want either an empty or a full tank. Fuel sloshing around is not a good thing/do some research on aircraft explosions.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Allied=Fun Bikes=Federal = Coleman. They are all the same company.

Wouldn't be surprised if they had a few other names.

I plan on using Haul Bikes this summer.

I received my bike a little over a week ago from Haul bikes. Excellent customer service and the bike arrived unharmed. It was a very easy process and they took care of my bike as if it was their own. I will definitely use them again. Great recommendation.

szurszewski
I received my bike a little over a week ago from Haul bikes. Excellent customer service and the bike arrived unharmed. It was a very easy process and they took care of my bike as if it was their own. I will definitely use them again. Great recommendation.

:)