IGNORED

Wet Head or Air Head--Tough Choice

Marc

Guys,

I am on the search for a new bike and need some advice.

I am debating between a low mileage 2013 RT or a 2014 RT with about 15k miles.

I am a bit concerned about 2014 being the 1st year of that model and I have heard some issues with the insurance coverage on the bikes that were recalled.

Can anyone bring me up to speed with what to look out for on these 14's or should I just go with the 2013.

Thanks.

Edited by Marc

I have the 8th 2014 in the US and the first in Texas. The recall was over a possible defective rearshock. It wasn't any big deal except for the time in took BMW to design and have made a better shock. It was about 3 months. Even though their communications was lacking they gave all affected owners basically 1 of 4 choices as I remember.

1.They would buy your bike back with all factory BMW add on equipment at full price regardless of mileage.

2. They would loan you a bike of equivalent capability which at my dealer was a K1600GT until you bike was repaired.

3. in addition to item 1 also offered various other discounts like $4000 off of a K1600

4. just wait and receive $2500 cash.

I opted for #4. Easy choice for me as was in the middle of Texas summer heat and I don't ride much then anyway.

The only other issue that I've heard of is a few water pump minor leaks out the weep hole.

The engine power at 125HP vs 110, the wet clutch, the, lower sitting seat, and many others make the 14 and up RT's really incredible bikes.

I'm sure the 2013 is a great bike too, but these new water bikes are in a different league. If the price is close and not an issue, it would be a quick decision for me.

The insurance issue as I understand it...In some states where the dealer bought them back, they had a title issued as salvage. Some insurance providers won't insure a salvage bike for liability reasons. It was stupid to call a $25,000 bike a salvage for a bad shock....I would check the title and local law if buying a 14.

Edited by Skywagon

Please.

A 2013 isn't an airhead. BMW stopped production in 1995 on the airheads.

You are talking Camhead/ Wethead.

MB>

I second Skywagon's post. I came from a 2009 Hexhead RT to this 2015 Wethead RT I have now. It is, far and away, a better bike - in every single functional category I can think of. Not to mention, it's the most reliable RT I've ever owned. I rolled over 30k miles a few weeks ago in my 17 months with it - and so far, knock on wood, absolutely no problems or complaints.

It's no contest. Seriously.

-MKL

Wethead all the way...my RTW was amazing, sat out the shock recall (paid for a nice two post lift in the garage so who's complaining) I was on a long summer trip with our Airstream during that time anyway and Touring Sport BMW came and picked me and the bike up to replace the shock---thanks again Willy. I didn't miss my Camhead RT one bit even though it was a great bike as well. There are still a few 16 leftovers around for around 18K, hard to beat that deal when you consider buying a warranty for a 14 would probably set you back quite a bit (2K?).

Edited by mickeym3

I came from a Hexhead RT... (2005), which was essentially the same engine as the 2013's.

Note: I am not trying to start a range war on this. '05 through '13's were essentially the same bike with some changes to the valving adjustment process while the change from '13's to 14's were to an entirely different design- not only to the engine, but basically everything.

I ride a '14 now, after being on the '05 for about 9 years. The '14 is a superior bike in many ways. (or just let me say it works far better-for me)

You do not mention your size/height. The '14's are lower thus easier to deal with in many ways. The 05-13's were the older BMW standard... tall.

The '14's have many feature-changes and adds.

In other words depending on the specific candidate bike it may have shift assist, hill-start assist, built in GPS configuration on the dash, and many other things- especially the rider information system. If you like music when you ride these features alone are worth the change. The Wonder Wheel on the left grip is truly a "wonder" The wonder wheel in combination with the ability to switch from one entire category to another for rider services and information alone is an entire generation change.

Want to know your tire pressure... just call it up on the display. Temperature- same- Seat heat? Grip heat? how about the ability to synch your phone to the the headset... for tunes communications and navigation prompts, etc. Want to change the suspension settings for a heavier load such as a passenger, or maybe you just want to go firmer or softer or middle of the road settings ... just select it... on the go. Seat heating for the passenger... sure the switch is on the left side easily reachable for the passenger. and so much more.

As you can tell... I already voted with my wallet... Wetheads are a better bike and I really enjoy all the "tricky stuff".

Ok, so another point of view and setting the scene, I had a 2001 R1150RT, 2008 R1200RT and now a 2015 R1200RT.

Good points on the 2015, I love the; Hill Assist & central locking, I quite like the; auto opening top-box, in built GPS, gear assist, extra power and so on.

But after 11k miles I still do not like the lack of buttons. The radio is harder to use and do not get me started on how many buttons and wonder-wheel clicks it takes just to turn on the heated grips!

Yes the 2014 and later are better bikes but Herr BMW got so much "not quite right".

The GPS cannot be locked in position nor does it show as much info as on the GS (why??), if you use the stereo you lose the digital speedometer, you keep having to chose which bit of information not to see (e.g. tyre pressure OR air temp), If you used to like the BMW "flappy" indicators (but longed for once on twice to cancel) then the move to rice burner switchgear will also be disappointment.

If the price is close the 2014 is a no brainer, otherwise do not discount the 2013s and earlier. The 2013 should be lot cheaper as it is now an obsolete model so bargains must be out there.

Keep in mind that the 2014s will be due a revamp soon so the value of them will drop, that drop has already been taken on the 2013 and earlier bikes.

Oh yes I almost forgot - Buy the one you liked riding most (everything else is irrelevant)!

If you use the heated grips, set the diamond option on the button to point to heated grips.

I forget which on the menu is first, grips or seat. That that's where I have mine set. Then one more click and I'm at the other.

If you use the heated grips, set the diamond option on the button to point to heated grips.

I forget which on the menu is first, grips or seat. That that's where I have mine set. Then one more click and I'm at the other.

Yes I have set the heated grips as the "favorite" on the wonder-wheel, which means I can select the heated grips in "just" 3 actions:-

1 Press diamond switch up

2 Scroll wonder-wheel to require heat level

3 Flick wonder-wheel off.

Of course back in the day my 2001 R1150RT could do this in one flick of a switch and if I wanted to check what level of heat I was on a quick glance at the switch would tell me. To do this now requires pressing the diamond button before the heat setting can be seen and then flicking the wonder-wheel off so 2 steps more than needed 16 years ago. Progress eh!

Wish List:

Backlit switches: With winter gloves on, your muscle memory isn't enough in the dark.

A dash that lets you see more at a glance: I could see ambient temp all the time on my Oilhead and Hexhead. That's important when riding year 'round. Why do I have to choose between temp and range on this new bike?

The old-style BMW turn signals: Much more logical and easy to use than the Japanese-style thumb switch on the new bike.

-MKL

Wish List:

Backlit switches: With winter gloves on, your muscle memory isn't enough in the dark.

A dash that lets you see more at a glance: I could see ambient temp all the time on my Oilhead and Hexhead. That's important when riding year 'round. Why do I have to choose between temp and range on this new bike?

The old-style BMW turn signals: Much more logical and easy to use than the Japanese-style thumb switch on the new bike.

Morning MKL

I will agree with you on the first two on your list.

I don't on the turn signals though-- The old BMW 2 handed turn signals were OK on the old (pre cruise control bikes) but on the newer electronic cruise equipped bikes the need to use two hands to signal & cancel a L/H lane change is absurd.

Some riders (like myself) that use our signals (even for lane changes) find the newer switching a blessing when riding left hand only on cruise control.

In the new electronics age maybe BMW could make all riders happy & implement a rider configurable turn signal system that could be configured between new style & old style with a simple menu selection.

Wish List:

Yes.....for crying out loud BMW, that's a no brainer.

Not important to me but we are also in a mild climate.

Yes, yes, yes...please!!!!!.....I have had the Wethead over 2 years now and I still hate the new indicator switch. I loved the paddles, best thing ever. It was the only reason that made me hesitate before deciding to buy the new bike.

Yes, yes, yes...please!!!!!.....I have had the Wethead over 2 years now and I still hate the new indicator switch. I loved the paddles, best thing ever. It was the only reason that made me hesitate before deciding to buy the new bike.

Just to be clear, the old style turn signal for me is from a /5 where it was a single switch on the left handlebar:cool: Not sure what vintage BMW started to use the HD style two button version started, but it took me a while to get used a button on each side on my '99 oilhead...and took a while to get used to the original 1 button on the left side layout on my waterhead.

Wish List:

-MKL

I would have to disagree with this. I never could understand someone could think the old three button approach was more logical. The left for signaling left, right for signaling right was logical but many time I almost hit the horn button for canceling the left signal before I realized that I needed to use the right side cancel. With thee Japanese style, you push right to signal right, left to signal left, and center to cancel.

I would have to disagree with this. I never could understand someone could think the old three button approach was more logical. The left for signaling left, right for signaling right was logical but many time I almost hit the horn button for canceling the left signal before I realized that I needed to use the right side cancel. With thee Japanese style, you push right to signal right, left to signal left, and center to cancel.

Still makes me laugh. :rofl:

I use the horn to alert the convertible full of cute girls in front of me that I just tried to cancel my turn signal.

Oh yeah on the original question. Hard to give input as the price/value calculation depends on what you want in your next bike.

I have not ridden a pre wet head 1200, but the '14+ model offers performance in spades, making the RT much more desirable in the sport riding mode. If that means little to you then the '13 could be a better value.

I jumped from a R1100RT to the R1200RTW and the new bike is better in every conceivable measure...except one. I still like those bodacious curves of my R1100RT better than the star wars x-wing fighter lines of the R1200RT wet head. It will take more time to be sure, but I believe the R1100RT garners more "cool bike" comments than my wet head will ever get.

Wish List:

-MKL

I was for ever blowing the horn on my Hex head. Hate that 3 button set up. There ain't much to not like about the wet head.

GT

I will add one to the list. I currently have a 2008RT (60K) and just bought a 2015RT with 3400 miles on it. The new bike has a much better engine and seems to handle better. But the one big disappointment that has me wondering whether I should just keep the 2008 is what I am going to call internal storage. On the 2008, I had room under the seat and in the rear fender well for tool kits, a little compressor, jumper cables, tire plug kits, a relay, etc.

With the 2015 if you put one riding glove in each of the glove boxes you are out of storage. Its nuts. I guess BMW thinks all you really need for an emergency is a credit card. I sort of like the looks of the 2008 better too, especially the front end. On the other hand, the 2015 is fun to thrash on a bit. I will most likely keep the 2015, but I wish it had more storage.

It's little details like storage that have made it easy for me to resist the wetheads. I also don't care for the change to a single low beam headlight, and I expected HID or LED lights anyway. Power outlet on the right makes no sense for most heated gear. I wonder about rebuilds for the DESA struts. Continuing to do my own maintenance would mean replacing my GS-911. And more...

I have hopes that some of these details will be changed for 2018, or with the next EU upgrade.

But meanwhile, I am also very careful not to take a test ride.

;)

duckbubbles
Not sure what vintage BMW started to use the HD style two button version started...
My '85 K-bike has the three button turn signals- That is about the time BMW started that.

Frank

As for storage, in late 2015 I moved from an '06 RT to a '15 GSA. Yes, I missed the storage under the seat and in the tail, but it took little time to adapt (of course, having the bigger cases on my GSA helped). In terms of the turn signals, that too required some adapting, but it was pretty easy to do, and I do not miss the older style turn signals. These are hardly reasons not to consider a wethead.

Edited by marcopolo

I went from a 2013 to a 2014. Night and day change, to me. No way I would go back. Are there some minor issues, sure. Some are complaining about having to go to different screens for info. Driven a modern car lately? I miss the info available when I ride the XR. Two totally different bike. But it makes me appreciate the RT's interface.

Wish List:

-MKL

BMW missed a trick, the left paddle for left and right paddle for right is just so good. But the silly cancel with the right thumb but horn with the left thing was never going to catch on.

Either they should had right thumb to cancel right with left thumb to cancel left or (better?) one press on the paddle turns the indicator on with a second press on the paddle to cancel. Simples !

I really hate the current switch gear which is now the universal standard especially when using the clutch and trying to signal at the same time. A paddle press was easy, finding a tiny button to move not so much!

Wish List:

-MKL

BMW missed a trick, the left paddle for left and right paddle for right is just so good. But the silly cancel with the right thumb but horn with the left thing was never going to catch on.

Either they should had right thumb to cancel right with left thumb to cancel left or (better?) one press on the paddle turns the indicator on with a second press on the paddle to cancel. Simples !

I really hate the current switch gear which is now the universal standard especially when using the clutch and trying to signal at the same time. A paddle press was easy, finding a tiny button to move not so much!

Well, it is what it is! If they ever build a perfect bike I don't think you guys would recognize it because nothing is ever up to your expectations . I think I'll buy a Harley.

But the one big disappointment that has me wondering whether I should just keep the 2008 is what I am going to call internal storage. On the 2008, I had room under the seat and in the rear fender well for tool kits, a little compressor, jumper cables, tire plug kits, a relay, etc.

The ability to store a compressor and plug kit, etc in the tail light area and under the seat just seems like it should be a 'given'. Price of progress I guess - Things change. My hope has been that the electrical boxes would shrink and maybe even morph into each other as the model progresses. Hard to imagine that happening on a mid model'refresh'.

I think pretty much everyone is unanimous in recognizing that BMW got the 'Majors' right with the Wethead, and to be sure - that was vital for the brand.

We can hope that some of the brain and engineering power/time that went into the powertrain can be diverted to the many improvements identified. Backlit switch gear is long overdue. Adaptive forward lighting to some degree should be an option on all bikes, if not standard.

And yes, the paddle turn signals rock! :wave:

Well, it is what it is! If they ever build a perfect bike I don't think you guys would recognize it because nothing is ever up to your expectations . I think I'll buy a Harley.

Why shouldn't people have a wish list. This Wethead is a fantastic bike. Indeed it is one of the best bikes ever to be built from any manufacturer, but it has LOTS of room for improvement. We have seen some this year with upgrades to the transmission so it shifts smoother. However,there are loads of others which need to be implemented. The saddles, and the screen are 2 areas. Horn, low beam lighting. Headlight bulb replacement and storage areas and some nice colour schemes are also up there.

Keep letting BMW know and maybe, just maybe, word will get back to them and they will implement some of those things!

Andy is spot on as usual. It would also help if the dealership supported their customer instead of the manufacture, not the other way around.

When I took delivery in February 2014 and did the walk around with my dealer I pointed out the lack of supplied tools and no space to store any, his response was see the clove box it's all you need holds your Roadside Assistance card. This response didn't make me happy. And now that my bike is out of warranty I better have my CC card there too.

Jay

The saddles, and the screen are 2 areas...... nice colour schemes are also up there.

Keep letting BMW know and maybe, just maybe, word will get back to them and they will implement some of those things!

A good saddle seems to be a lost art at BMW. Both my '99 and '15 RTs had very pretty torture racks that had to be replaced, and I am sure the seats on the intervening models were no better. So, the seat would not a differentiator between the '13 & '14 RTs unless one of them already has a aftermarket seat.

I think it is hard to have the perfect screen that work with all sizes of folks and their prferences who would buy this touring bike....At least BMW was a leader to have the screen that is power adjustable. A feature found on all modern RTs and I thought was superfluous until I owned a bike with a power adjustable windshield!

Anyway, these gaps we are pissing and moaning about have been opportunity for the entrepreneur and these folks have responded with some really nice offerings. Just a shame a $20,000+ motorcycle needs mo-$$ to make it right.

Colors! Don't get me started there. It seems BMW slipped into the Henry Ford approach. You can have any color you want as long as it is Grey! It wasn't until they offered San Marino Blue that they finally got me to crack open my wallet and that bike still has a lot of grey. Where are the bold colors BMW!

Comparing my '75, '99 and '15 boxer bikes shows remarkable evolutionary improvements, so maybe BMW does listen. You just have to view these improvement on a geologic scale :smile: Although I concur there was a quite a leap between the '13 and '14 models with me favoring the new model...warts and all!

Edited by Paul De
... Although I concur there was a quite a leap between the '13 and '14 models with me favoring the new model...warts and all!

Most definately. A HUGE step forward in so many tactile and visual ways.

Not quite there visually when compared to my lovely old Oilhead though! ;-)

... Although I concur there was a quite a leap between the '13 and '14 models with me favoring the new model...warts and all!

Most definately. A HUGE step forward in so many tactile and visual ways.

Not quite there visually when compared to my lovely old Oilhead though! ;-)

Agreed on both counts. My 2015 wethead is the most powerful, most torquey, smoothest running, and best handling bike I have had. Many of the new electronic goodies really add to the quality of the ride: keyless ignition, true cruise control, tire pressure monitoring, digital gas and range estimates, two trip odometers (used for fuel and trip). However, my 1999 RT had the best lines in my entirely subjective opinion.

Thanks for all the replies.

After researching, I am definitely leaning towards the 2014 as I had the 2006 and the 2013 is not that much different.

I like the banter on the horn/signals asI used to ride Japanese bikes so the thumb signal should be an easy transition from my days of hitting the horn on my beemers.

II agree that BMW ridiculously lame on colors.

I miss my 99 glacier green or my 2006 Red RT.

These recent colors are completely lame and the velveetaville stripes on the Marino blue from 2016 looks cheap.(no offense for those of you with the Marino) I love the blue but dislike the stripes.

I like the mint green from 2010 & 2012 but it looks like that is not going to be a color in my future as I cannot find those bikes fitted with what I like.

My main requests for the bike are ESA and I would like a radio as I am tired of the autocomm speakers that use to irritate my ears.

I will continue on my search for a clean title 2014 RT with ESA Radio heated seats & Grips in a decent shiny color with less than 15k miles. Hopefully this is not a tall order to fill. f you see any please let me know. Thanks.

Wish List:

-MKL

Ironically (and I'm sure you meant this,) it is Harley-Davidson which has the most logical turn signal switchgear in the industry, hands down! Left switch actuates the left. Right switch actuates the right. Hold same side down to cancel (no separate cancel switch like BMW.) Speaking of cancelling - the Harley self-cancelling turn signals actually work, too! Nobody does turn signals better. They got one thing right! Give them credit.

-MKL

Edited by moshe_levy

Ironically (and I'm sure you meant this,) it is Harley-Davidson which has the most logical turn signal switchgear in the industry, hands down! Left switch actuates the left. Right switch actuates the right. Hold same side down to cancel (no separate cancel switch like BMW.) Speaking of cancelling - the Harley self-cancelling turn signals actually work, too! Nobody does turn signals better. They got one thing right! Give them credit.

Morning -MKL

Harley might be the most logical but to me they didn't get it right either.

If a rider pays full attention to the turn signal process then the Harley system works pretty good-- BUT the Harley system isn't without fault.

The rider has to consciously look to see if the turn signal is on or off before & after a lane change or turn.

With the old BMW system the cancel button could just be hit as many times as the rider wanted without re-applying the turn signals. (ie if a rider isn't sure that they have cancelled the turn signals they only have to hit the cancel button again without taking eyes off the road)

On the Harley system if the turn signal is cancelled a 2nd time the turn signal will come back on again so the rider needs to purposely take their eyes off the road & look at the dash to determine if the turn signal is on or off before canceling a 2nd time. (kind of a pain in very heavy traffic or high awareness situations). If the turn signals self cancel THEN you cancel manually without taking eyes off the road to verify if T/S on or off that can bring the T/S back on again.

Well Marc it seems your off the schneid on deciding :Yes:.

That's a good thing as I was wondering if the banter, as you put it, was helping as it seemed to become more about us than you and your decision.

And I am especially glad the pissing and moaning we did on the turn signals, which seemed off the mark to your question, helped you as well. I guess another way to look it is if the turn signal button logic is all we had to complain about, then any of the boxer versions are pretty damn reliable.

Yes I wish the SM Blue didn't have those graphics...they look like they were borrowed from a Hot Wheels toy. Even with the toy car graphics I bought the SM Blue color anyway as I just couldn't get excited about any of grey color schemes.

And FWIW, I put a Kissan Signal Minder on my '99 set to the 8 second timed limit and the pause lead attached to the brake light line and got darn close to HD like functionality with the bonus of being able to use the extra cancel button. Unfortunately, the on the 14+ (not sure about the '13) you can't modify the length of time out which is way too long for any conceivable situation. Here we go again :ohboy:

Unfortunately, the on the 14+ (not sure about the '13) you can't modify the length of time out which is way too long for any conceivable situation.

Morning Paul

I would be very surprised if the turn signal cancel length couldn't be changed or even turned off.

The 1200 hexhead & camhead are dealer changeable (about 3 menus in though) to either lengthen or shorten the delay time-out & on my 2016 800GS I actually turned off the auto cancel. (on my Harley I just cut the auto cancel wire ruining to the turn signals & that stops the auto cancel program).

You do need a dealer that is progressive enough to not just tell you "NO, we can't do it so go away" but to do the research in the BMW system to find the correct menu on their computer to make the change. (a lot of BMW dealers don't know that the 1200XX bikes have programmable delay times/features)

Personally I find that not being able to significantly lengthen (or turn off) the turn signal auto cancel is a real deal breaker for me personally. I seldom put my foot down at a light waiting to turn left or right but do use the brake so with normal auto-cancel settings my turn signal will usually turn off before or during the turn.

Nothing more dangerous than a L/H turn signal turning off just as you roll off as the opposing traffic thinks that you changed your mind & are not turning but traveling on straight ahead.

Added: If you ask the dealer to re-program your turn signal time-out on a new-vehicle-buy they already have the dealer computer hooked up to the bike so most will re-program the turn signal time-out for free as part of the pre-sale prep.

Edited by dirtrider

Thanks. Seemed too weird that this parameter can't be adjusted. I asked to have it done @ my 6,000 mi service and was willing to pay extra. The service writer even asked the mechanic and came back with a no can do. I either got the uniformed answer, or the brush off.

I will try to get the info for the needed menu path and parameter name detail to get past the brush off no when I go in for my 12,000 mile service. I guess this is another reason I justify doing my own service after the warrantee expires. That and I'm old enough to be from the days when most of us had to be rider/mechanics just to keep our bike running from week to week!

I checked the Hex Code web page to see if the GS-911wifi unit has the ability to adjust this parameter, but it does not seem to have this capability. Oh well, but this tool is still on my wish list when I start doing my own service.

I loved the old turn signals.

I also have my 2nd running lights wired up thru a Euroswitch to R paddle so I can put signals on/off going into a turn, change in the turn, re signal coming out of turn w/no change in hand position.

And if needed flash brights or 2nd running lights all with hand position constant.

Moving thumb sux.

Guys,

I am on the search for a new bike and need some advice.

I am debating between a low mileage 2013 RT or a 2014 RT with about 15k miles.

I am a bit concerned about 2014 being the 1st year of that model and I have heard some issues with the insurance coverage on the bikes that were recalled.

Can anyone bring me up to speed with what to look out for on these 14's or should I just go with the 2013.

Thanks.

I had a 2011 R1200RT. Very competent bike but I missed the power of my K bike and ST1300. A bit tall feeling and good handling but not great. My 2015 R1200RT is so much better. I'd be hard pressed to find a reason to pick the previous model other than what should be a noticeable price reduction for the older model.

The past version of RT was a very good bike. The current model may be a great bike.

The 2014 model did have the early recall for the suspension part but that has been well sorted for a while now. I see less complaints about the current model than I did the previous model.

As others have said .... the 2005 Hexhead and Camheads were good bikes and I love my 2006 .... the WetHead is BETTER !!

Edited by RTinNC