IGNORED

Givi break light

Andrew Harmsworth

Andrew Harmsworth

Hi

I am looking to add a high level break light to my givi top box. Givi make a kit that looks ideal fits onto the monokey box I have. Question is if I then tap into the rear break light will I get a canbus error.? Anyone got any experance with this? Thanks

Andrew

Chances are it is a AddMore kit. Look them up before you buy.

You can tap the running light for switched power. Only once though as anything too much on the running light will cause a error.

Another switched is front or rear Aux outlets.

I run a Shad and I used a AddMore run/turn/brake light in it an love it.

One of the admins might want to fix the spelling in the thread title. I thought the thread was about installing a work light of some kind for either break downs on the road or rest breaks.

Hi

I am looking to add a high level break light to my givi top box. Givi make a kit that looks ideal fits onto the monokey box I have. Question is if I then tap into the rear break light will I get a canbus error.? Anyone got any experance with this? Thanks

Morning Andrew

You definitely won't get a CanBus error as there is no direct connection of the rear lighting to the CanBus or LinBus.

Now you could get a light-out error, or some other brake light or braking system lighting error.

First off, what bike are you working with.

Is the rear light that you intend to use an LED or other type (a lot of LED's will work OK with your bike's brake light circuitry.

My suggestion is to call that light manufacturers customer service & see if their light will work with your bike.

The Givi brand brake light kits for the E52 trunk are incandescent. I believe the Givi brand brake light kits for the E55 trunk are led. I also believe that the Admore light kits are led. But check to be sure.

I added the Admore LED light system to my E47 Givi top box. I have a 2015 Wethead. I hooked into the existing plug under the rear seat that is for the BMW top box. No fault warnings. Works great and is tidy.

GT

Again I say look around before you buy a kit.

I would think you want LED.

AddMore is LED

And while I was not clear you will throw a running light error if you overload the running light wire as a switched power source.

At least that is what my 15 did and the GS-911 said.

Andrew Harmsworth

Hi yes it is a LED kit, for the GIVI E55 top box the kit reference is E112 and its going onto a 2015 RT. I am hopeful that the low consumption of the LED's is not enough to cause a blub failure warning on the dash. If it does I have the perfect need (read excuse) to by the EZCAN canbus opener to wire it in, may be a better solution as that would enable me to make them flash etc....

If that is all your tapping then no problem.

However if they are just brake and running lights my advice would be buy the ezCAN.

No cutting or tapping of any wires to get Brake/Flashing Brake/Deceleration brake lights by just plugging something in.

Well 160 bucks but you still have 3 other channels to connect stuff. Worth it not to tap any stock wires.

If you have the plug/harness under the rear seat that is intended to provide lighting for the BMW top case why not tap into it as I did. It's clean, it's easy to access and makes for a very clean installation. You will not get any faults by using this source of power. I have brake lights and turn signals by using this source of power. I think you're over thinking this if you have that source of power available.

GT

Andrew Harmsworth

Interesting, what does the harness look like under the seat for the topbox?

Edited by Andrew Harmsworth

If you don't have central locking, there should be a capped plug under the rear seat. Drivers left side I believe. I don't recall the wiring colors though. It's a fairly flat plug though. I used a wire tester to figure out which one is the brake light.

Mine is directly in the middle at the rear of the backseat. It is a round plug with a On the end sitting in the holder but you can on snap it from. You have to remove the rear seat to access it.

Round plug means you likely have the Central locking option on your bike. The round plug is what would go to the BMW top case. One of those wires is a hot wire for the brake. You'll also find an always hot in that plug for the inside light of the top case.

Round plug means you likely have the Central locking option on your bike. The round plug is what would go to the BMW top case. One of those wires is a hot wire for the brake. You'll also find an always hot in that plug for the inside light of the top case.

That's the one and yes I do have central locking.