IGNORED

K1300S Tourers ???

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Anyone older than 45 using one of these for long distance touring? I see a lot of these bikes with super low miles, all fiddled with, bar risers, different windshields, etc. Ergos look pretty uncomfortable for long riders, but I'm just wondering....

I don't need the KGT any more, since my wife quit riding with me, and am thinking about something lighter. Uh, I'm not asking for suggestions for other models here. :Cool:

A guy I work with has a 2010 model and I've ridden it a few times. It's a fun bike but not particularly comfortable but his has a low seat and suspension. Not a all day bike for me.

Dennis Andress

At 6' 4" the footpegs were too high for me. A wider bar would have been nice to have. Compared to the K1200 RS I had previously, the K13S was an easy bike to ride well. 400-500 miles a day were not a problem. Wind protection was marginal, and there was a lot of helmet noise no matter what windshield I tried.

Having said all of that, have you rode the new R1200 RS?

I'm asking the same questions over on k-bikes.com. My GT is 11 this year and I don't want a heavy K16 or less powerful (don't hate me) R12. My biggest concern is 98% of my riding is two-up most of that touring. I need a trunk and comfy passenger seat. May have to go test ride one with the wife soon.

Dennis Andress

The K13S is a tool. A damn sharp tool. We're selling ours because they don't work well in the slow, congested, roads of the Olympic Peninsula. Honestly, they don't come alive until over 80 mph. They're not fun until you've learned how to ride them hard. They don't really shine until you've pushed through 2 hours of urban traffic.

I found that to keep the in its power band of 7-9.5K wasn't easy in anything less than 3rd gear. By then the bike is doing around 90. That's fine, if you are riding somewhere like Utah.

The bike was incredible in L.A. traffic.

I'm a bit biased being a twin guy, but the two things besides ergonomics in general I see as an issue is the cost to maintain it and the gas mileage.

Call any bmw dealer and see what the 12 and 24k services are.

This is a good suggestion for any bike considered for touring.

A Triumph Trophy, a Guzzi, HD, etc.

markgoodrich

Thanks, especially Dennis. Your experience helps me conclude its probably a wonderful bike, but wrong for my needs. Durnit.what are you and Laney going to replace them with?

Edited by markgoodrich
Dennis Andress

Laney bought an F800 GT, and I bought an F800 GS. They're a huge difference from anything either of us have had in the past, but for some silly reason, I'm smiling every time I get off the GS :grin:

fourteenfour

can't see any reason to not get a K1300GT, you can ride it like a S if you want and why give up the extra comfort and convenience that comes with it. plus I cannot recall and good bag options for a S

pedro cerveza

Guys... seriously??? I'm 61 and not what you'd call an example of peak fitness. I have been touring on KS bikes since 2006. If you are 1 up and don't need to take along the kitchen sink it's a spectacular touring machine. I use a SW moto rack with a Givi case and I can carry enough for 2 weeks on the road. The engine is smooth and strong at any RPM. It's meteoric above 8000. The wind off the stock shield is clean. I get less buffeting on the KS that a K1600GT no matter where the windshield is set.

Dennis Andress

I'm not saying it won't tour, I'm saying touring is at the bottom of its abilities and kind of a waste.

• 5 weeks later...

It's a relaxed but sporty posture for sure, compared to a touring bike. If that's your comfort spot (it is for me) you can do nice long days on the KS. I put 30k on a 1200 while I had it. Some raise the bars and lower the pegs, but I say get a GT instead if you need that. The KS is great as is. Perfect wind protection (head in clean air). I agree with the comments here - it's not a bike for traffic or goaty roads. It's a beastly missile. It comes alive above 80. It's miraculous on Sweeper Madness. You can throw it around and carve like a sportbike but you feel it at the end of the day. Put a topcase on it and go wherever. But I did throw a rod on mine so there's that. :D