IGNORED

Oregon SB 385

Twisties

AMA Lobbyist Nick Haris (Deadboy here) is in Salem today to lobby for SB 385. SB 385 gets it's first hearing today in the current legislative session.

The Bill would legalize lane splitting in Oregon when a multilane hwy is posted 50 mph or higher and traffic is moving less than 10 mph. Bikes could go up to 20 mph.

Oregon Legisilative Information System - SB 385

20 mph is too slow to split safely...

Not necessarily true.

Conditions may dictate slower or faster. Sometimes 20 is just enough.

Y(LS)MV. :wave:

MB>

Not necessarily true.

Conditions may dictate slower or faster. Sometimes 20 is just enough.

Y(LS)MV. :wave:

MB>

I agree with MB and say hi to Dennis. :lurk:

Why? I split in California for years. IMHO if you don't go faster than the cars there is no point, but going too much faster than the cars is dangerous. You don't have time to react to what they do, like changing lanes or crowding lanes. So, is 20 the right number? I don't know but I think it is smart to put a limit on the speed differential and 20 seems like as good a number as any.

Hank R1200RT

California lane splittter here. IMHO the differential in speed is more important than the actual speed...I have split at 65 in 50-55 MPH traffic and felt very safe. And there are times where splitting at 15 when traffic is moving at 0-5 MPH is high risk.

On a narrower bike, higher speeds can be safe. And lane width matters a lot.

However, the big thing I see missing is any sort of training for lane splitting. The tricks of the trade may be learned at a cost in blood and bone.

RoanokeRider
However, the big thing I see missing is any sort of training for lane splitting. The tricks of the trade may be learned at a cost in blood and bone.

Which will then be deemed to dangerous and get the law repealed. :(

Dennis Andress

Hi Marty :wave:

At 20 mph controlling the bike took too much of my concentration away from watching traffic. I found I could only watch 2 or 3 car lengths ahead, when 5 or 6 is ideal for splitting.

Dennis Andress

It took the cagers in SoCal about 20 years before they stopped freaking out over somebody splitting.

It took the cagers in SoCal about 20 years before they stopped freaking out over somebody splitting.

They stopped freaking out?!?! I would say it's down. But not stopped here in Northern Cal.

I see CHP motocops splitting all the time here too. They do it much slower than I. I presume they are looking at the drivers and other traffic violations, that I do not do.

From the proposed amendment:

© Traffic is stopped or has slowed to a speed of 10 miles per hour or less; and

(d) The motorcycle operator or moped operator is driving in a cautious and prudent

manner and is traveling at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less.

My opinion, 10 mph over cagers in traffic is about right. It sounds like 20mph max speed for a motorcyclist. I agree it is too slow, but it is a start.

I commute HWY 50 and part of HWY 80 for about 28 miles each way here in Sacramento. There are some (IMO) crazy lane splitters going 65+ while traffic is going 25. I follow what was once our CHP lane splitting guidelines, of the motorcyclist not go over 50 mph and 10 mph difference in traffic.

Experience and rider control is one thing, you still can't control others.

Stay safe

Edited by NickInSac

At 20 mph controlling the bike took too much of my concentration away from watching traffic. I found I could only watch 2 or 3 car lengths ahead, when 5 or 6 is ideal for splitting.

Hi to both of you. :wave:

California lane splittter here. IMHO the differential in speed is more important than the actual speed...I have split at 65 in 50-55 MPH traffic and felt very safe. And there are times where splitting at 15 when traffic is moving at 0-5 MPH is high risk.

On a narrower bike, higher speeds can be safe. And lane width matters a lot.

Everyone makes their own choices about risk. If the traffic is moving at 50-55, I see no reason to split at all. Doing 20 in traffic that is stalled at 0-10 mph means you can get past a couple of miles of stopped traffic in a few minutes instead of an hour(s). Doing 65 instead of 55 saves you what, 10 minutes in an hour long commute. It is not worth the added risk involved in lane splitting in my opinion. Furthermore when cars are moving at 10 mph or less they are pretty much locked into their lanes, they generally don't leave enough space between cars for a car in the next lane to change. When they are moving at 50+, there is lots of space for cars to change lanes, hugely increasing the hazards for lane splitting.

I agree about the impact of lane width. The training for lane splitting should be for the cage drivers, but I don't see that happening. Just kidding, there are indeed lots of things to watch out for when splitting, above and beyond the normal things a bike has to watch for.

I think the issue here is control, not speed differential. Lane splitting takes precision. Positioning and accuracy are crucial. We've all seen people who have to paddle all the way across an intersection because they lack the skill to take off and hold a steady line until they're going 25mph or more. That skill and/or ability deteriorates as speed decreases. Take it to an extreme. Would a combination of traffic at 0mph and splitters at 5mph be safer? If you just look at it from a speed differential position, yes. But if you understand that at slow speeds, anything on two wheels is harder to hold on a steady line, then you realize that there is a splitting speed at which slow is too slow.

I don't know if 20mph is that speed. But I do know that I've seen far too many riders unable to comfortably put their feet on the pegs at anything below 20-25. So, at lower speeds they wobble. And there goes the precision that's needed to split between cars.

I agree we need a starting point. And this may be that point. But if it is too slow, and riders can't hold the necessary line to split cleanly, resulting in scrapes and crashes, then the effort to hold the speed down may doom future approvals.

I do think that water will find its own level. At first, enforcement will be stricter. But with time, riders and enforcement will find a safer combination of automotive speed, motorcycle speed, and speed differential. It's going to take a while. And starting where it's starting may be politicians trying to give the public a smaller pill that it can swallow more easily. But I doubt it's going to stay at 10mph for cars and only up to 20mph for bikes.

I think the issue here is control, not speed differential. Lane splitting takes precision. Positioning and accuracy are crucial. We've all seen people who have to paddle all the way across an intersection because they lack the skill to take off and hold a steady line until they're going 25mph or more. That skill and/or ability deteriorates as speed decreases. Take it to an extreme. Would a combination of traffic at 0mph and splitters at 5mph be safer? If you just look at it from a speed differential position, yes. But if you understand that at slow speeds, anything on two wheels is harder to hold on a steady line, then you realize that there is a splitting speed at which slow is too slow.

I don't know if 20mph is that speed. But I do know that I've seen far too many riders unable to comfortably put their feet on the pegs at anything below 20-25. So, at lower speeds they wobble. And there goes the precision that's needed to split between cars. …

Interesting discussion of the impact of control at slow speeds. I don't consider myself particularly adept at slow speed maneuvering but I would have guessed that the cutoff for when it gets easy to control was closer to 5-10 mph than 20 mph. I am going to have to pay attention next time. I know I feel more of an issue stopping than I do starting.

Well, this is one Oregonian that's against lane splitting. All a law like this will do is get people in cars more pissed off at all motorcyclists in general. I will be very surprised if this bill becomes law. About the only area in the state where lane splitting might occur is the Portland metro area maybe as far south as Albany at rush hour. Glad I live 170 miles from Portland. Lane splitting in the Portland area is, at least initially, going to result in an immediate uptick in accidents with even more grid lock at peak traffic times and more stressed out people.

What Washington State has is car pool lanes in metro areas where cars are allowed if there is more than one person on board and motorcyclists are allowed to use these lanes as well. I think a system like this with lane control at peak traffic times is safer and more effective than lane splitting. Of course it would cost big bucks to build a system like this which Oregon doesn't have.

Washington County (Portland area) has experienced something like a 30 percent growth mostly caused by in-migration from California which imo Oregon could do with much less of. This growth has occurred in less than 5 years which has impacted the infrastructure severely on the I5 corridor in the upper Willamette Valley. This state of affairs just makes me sick! :mad:

NATIVE OREGONIAN SINCE 1943

Edited by JamesW
Well, this is one Oregonian that's against lane splitting. …

I infer that you don't live in an area where traffic jams or stop and go freeways are a big part of your daily life. :)

James,

Where we live in Florida has grown some, the area's around us (rural) have in some places quadrupled the past 20 years.

Meanwhile, down north (south of us) in S Fl, it has gone batsheyike w/population continuing to grow like wildfires.

Before the recession our influx was such that a new school was needed for the number of people moving in every day.

:P

Literally 350-400 new schools every year, for years...

:dopeslap::dopeslap:

The recession slowed that, slightly, for a while.

Now, wish they'd build the damn wall at our border...

Only lane split a few times.

All slab.

All involving trucks, hills, and damn semis going 50-60-65-70-75-60-50 side by side.

Stupid and immature on my part.

But after 20 miles and a log jam of 13,856,999 vehicles behind those clowns, well, I had spasms in my R wrist.

Illegal, stupid, dangerous. In retrospect, if I was going to be that stupid I should've used the shoulder.

I think filtering to the front at lights (is that in the bill?)

and splitting is a good thing, done properly.

Hopefully a huge public awareness/education/safety explanation will be part of the package including billboards on the roads where it is most likely to be needed.

Edited by tallman

YES FILTERING TO THE FRONT AT LIGHTS IS WONDERFUL. It should be allowed everywhere/hard to believe Europe is so far ahead of us in this respect.

Edited by Marty Hill

I infer that you don't live in an area where traffic jams or stop and go freeways are a big part of your daily life. :)

You are correct and I would give up motorcycling in a NY minute if I did live in such an area. On the central Oregon coast south to the border with CA (aka the Mason Dixon Line) it is difficult to build houses because of mountainous terrain and much federal and state forest land so we are protected from uncontrolled expansion. And then we have Oregon's land use planning laws which literally save the day and have for many years. At around 4 million in population the vast majority reside in the upper Willamette Valley and they can stay there! Problem is they often travel into the hinterland on weekends which means the northern coast is overrun by these screaming meemies. :mad::mad:

Ever wonder why, if human beings are the most intelligent life form on the freaking planet, we can't control our own numbers any better than rabbits!

Edited by JamesW
Dennis Andress

Spliting, in California, is a pattern of behavior between motorcyclists and people in cars. Over time cagers have become more aware of splitting bikes, and motorcyclists have become better at anticipating their actions. Not everyone, cager or biker, has done this, but it's way better than it was in the 90's when "Sorry officer, I didn't see him" covered all sins.

(Once upon a time) I split to reduce risk. If I were in heavy traffic and moving at the same speed as the cars around me then I would have to pay attention to every car, ahead, behind, and to either side of me. If I moved over a bit and started passing between the cars all the risk would be reduced to just those cars ahead of me. And being between the lines of cars I would then be able to see further ahead.

None of this can be legislated. Splitting reduces risk. Restricting splitting through speed limits then increases risk. Yes, some control is needed, but passing between a clump of cars at 60 is no different than at 30. California law allows two vehicles to share a lane. That's the whole basis for splitting. The CHP has from time to time published guidelines describing how they could enforce the practice. Enforcement was left up to the patrol officers. I think this is something other states should consider. (I got stopped once and lectured for following too close while waiting for an opening to split through.)

It is exciting to see Oregon, and other states, work on legalizing lane splitting. It's hard to remember how dangerous splitting was when I first tried it in the Bay Area in 1981 and not say something negative.

As a SoCal rider, this is an issue close to the bone for me. I split, but only when I think it's safe, and I do so in a safe and sane manner. The problem is, I sometimes ride with other guys who never split. We end up miles apart.

The rest of the world allows lane splitting. Some countries even have separate stop areas at light and things. I rode a motorcycle in Asia, and you have to be on the ball at all times to do that. But, I was much younger then.

All a law like this will do is get people in cars more pissed off at all motorcyclists in general.

Splitting has been proven safer. If motorcyclists have no advantage when commuting, then they might as well be in cars. Would 25,000 more cars a day, going to and from work, be something that Oregonians would welcome?

Or are you suggesting that if they have the advantages explained to them, that it actually benefits THEM by reducing congestion, that Oregonians are incapable of understanding the benefits they'll derive, and will instead revert to hatred because someone is taking a risk (riding a motorcycle) in order to gain an advantage that they themselves are unwilling to take in order to get? . . . therefore, let's hold everyone back? Seriously, if these Oregon-bound Californians you so clearly dislike are capable of understanding this, why aren't the Oregonians you so dearly protect capable of similar comprehension and rationale?

Lane splitting (filtering, as we call it) is a normal part of motorcycling life in the UK.

It is generally accepted as one of the few "advantages" of riding a motorcycle and essential to those on air cooled machines.

Our roads are some of the most congested on the planet yet there is no evidence to suggest that lane splitting is any more or less dangerous than other maneuvers on a motorcycle and indeed I have often experienced (95% of the time) cars moving over to make more room for me to safely pass whilst caught in congestion.

My recent trip to Texas demonstrated some significant differences to my riding "technique" - either cars are bigger or the lanes are smaller in Texas (well Houston anyway). I was stuck on I10 (amongst others) in heavy traffic a few times and was disappointed to realise that there was not really a comfortable space between lanes making filtering a bit tricky. I soon discovered it was illegal anyway (so refrained) and found it quite frustrating and hot!

I have to say that I was a bit surprised to find that lane splitting is illegal in most of the USA. Most of the time private transport seems to be prioritised and you can do just about everything from and in your car! Why are motorcycles frowned upon/restricted in this way?

...as an aside, I did notice that whilst fuelling up or popping into stores I was given the distinct impression that people were a bit wary of me (I assume as a motorcyclist?). I even began removing all my biker gear and waving the cash about as I pre-paid for my fuel to allay peoples apprehension!!!

Motorcycling in the UK used to be socially unacceptable (Hells Angels, Greasers and all that nonsense) I wonder how motorcycling is seen by the general public in the USA?

ps - lane splitting is pretty much only ever used when the traffic is bad and the roads are congested.... it is not used in "normal" conditions.

Edited by farmerboy

Afternoon Effbee, One very good thing we have going for us is wet weather and this year takes the prize. You would have to be a real dedicated motorcyclist to ride a bike in the Portland area at all this winter let alone try and lane split. The other thing is the average age of residents in Oregon is years higher than in CA I don't remember the exact number. The big problem in Oregon on the I5 corridor is thru traffic between WA (Seattle area) and CA especially in summer months. This adds to the congestion problems in the upper Willamette Valley big time.

As far as adding 25K more cars on the road as a result of motorcycle commuters giving up their motorcycles for cars I really doubt the number would be anywhere near that high since there just isn't a large community of motorcycle commuters here in the first place. Where I live on the central coast there are very few locals that even ride road motorcycles. If I were to sell my bikes it would most likely be to someone living way inland or out of state. I recently sold my R1150RT to a guy from Texas and my R100RT to a fellow from the Seattle area. The guy from Seattle bought the R100 almost 4 years ago and still hasn't changed the registration from OR to WA.

Oregon just isn't like CA in many ways and all related to weather and population density not even in the Portland area. I mean jeez, we can't even pump our own gas motorcycles being the only exception and who wants to anyway. I recently wrote a letter to the governor suggesting the state staff up the OSP (state police) and rigorously enforce speed limits. Turns out this is already in the works and I say great!

If I were a state cop it would be open season on Californians especially.

...If I were a state cop it would be open season on Californians especially.

I've only traveled to Oregon and Washington once. I was told over and over again, don't speed there! Not one mile an hour over. :thumbsup:

I'll say one more thing. In any state that allows lane splitting by only two wheeled motorcycles I think to be fair other motorists should not incur any increased liability if a motorcyclist is injured or killed by a motorist that was not aware of the presence of the lane splitting motorcyclist. In other words the motorcyclist assumes all risk and responsibility for his or her actions without recourse against any other motorist in the event of an accident.

This might cause motorcyclists with a functioning brain to think twice before they lane split just to save a few minutes getting from point A to B if they know they do so at their own risk with no chance for injury compensation.

To date no state other than CA allows lane splitting.

Wow, really great to hear your opinions on splitting. If you are that frightened by it, don't do it. Your preaching to the wrong choir.

Wow, really great to hear your opinions on splitting. If you are that frightened by it, don't do it. Your preaching to the wrong choir.

Ya know, Marty. You're probably right.

Charles Elms

I guess I'll jump in here now. For background I've been driving since 59. I've also put about 130,000 miles on my RT and then V-strom.

If I had not resumed motorcycling after 35 years and read about lane splitting, this was my auto driving habit for MANY years: If there was a serious slowdown, traffic stop, or crawl, I would often pull over as far as I could to the left of my lane so that I could see around the car in front of me, and try and see what was going on.

Here is the issue I see for lane splitting. Out of state motorists, that are from states where they never experience lane splitting, will not find in necessary to check their rear view mirror before they pull over into the left of "their" lane. They just don't have a clue that anyone would be passing them.. That would have been me 20 years ago.

So, BE CAREFUL when you lane split.

I've only put about 500 miles on my bike on the California highways, and picked my travel times carefully so as to avoid heavy traffic as much as possible. I left L.A. at 3 am to get out before the morning rush..barely made it!

I'm sure if I lived in southern California I would lane split, but I would definitely be watching out for my "old" self.

As an aside, when I took the MSF course in Maryland in 2001, I was told that I "owned" the lane and to occupy all of it over time to protect my lane from cars that might want to move into my lane if if rode to far in the right.

As they say BE SAVE OUT THERE.

We have lit signs here in California on our freeways. They advise of traffic conditions, Amber alerts, and sometimes just public service announcements. Like "Buzzed driving is drunk driving." And "Watch for motorcycles ".

Anyone in an automobile should be driving and paying attention. Not expecting a motorcycle that is lane splitting because your state doesn't allow it and you aren't used to it is a poor excuse. As a driver you should be checking your mirrors regularly, not checking your phone or scratching your nuts. We'll, maybe there's an exception for that.

I lane split for position. Not to "save time". Really? That what you are pissed about?

Be a motorcyclist, a city biker, and not a rural rider. Ever been rear ended in stop and go traffic? Once you have, you'll never put yourself in a position to be rear ended again. At any speed. Including filtering.

It's about situational positioning.

Some riders do it, others don't.

I'm gonna split. Thankful to live in a state that recognizes it.

YMMV.

:wave:

MB>

Evening MB, I can't resist. I'm so glad you're thankful to live in CA. Now if you could just convince your fellows to feel the same way and just stay there. I'm just sayin'.

And now I'm really done, promise.

You are correct and I would give up motorcycling in a NY minute if I did live in such an area.

And yet, thousands of people ride in these conditions everyday.

Conclusion: We're all different. Different does not mean wrong or stupid or brainless. It can be hard to learn the difference, and to appreciate differences. We see evidence of that everyday Coke vs Pepsi, etc. The challenge is not to reduce others we disagree with by defining them and to strive to understand what they're saying and their position. I find when I listen, I learn and see things in a different light - parallax. Sometimes this exchange changes my position or theirs - the only exception to that is when we choose not to consider what's being said - then the exchange is pointless.

It's OK to disagree, we stray when we treat others as adversaries because we disagree.

Lots of discussion about lane splitting here and other places. People who lane split have their reasons, just as those who don't have theirs.

If unwilling to consider differing views, just agree to disagree. When comments turn to denigrating others of differing views, that indicates a closed mind that isn't interested in listening to what others are saying.

Edited by workin' them angels

Nicely put Dave. Thanks.

I responded because I thought it necessary to point out to another motorcyclist that perhaps rural riding doesn't include some of the hazards us city folk encounter. That those dangers he/she in high traffic scenarios encounters need to be considered in the discussion.

I hope folks don't take it the wrong way. I'm looking out for myself. I'll say it again. I'm happy my state recognizes it. I'm sorry your state doesn't. Thanks Nick (deadboy)for doing what you do. Looking out for the interests of fellow motorcyclists, regardless of state

or political affiliations.

Now the fools that blast up the side of folks at a high rate of speed and with loud pipes, that's entirely a different matter. Suffice to say, don't think that's any of us here.

MB>

John Bentall
In any state that allows lane splitting by only two wheeled motorcycles I think to be fair other motorists should not incur any increased liability if a motorcyclist is injured or killed by a motorist that was not aware of the presence of the lane splitting motorcyclist. In other words the motorcyclist assumes all risk and responsibility for his or her actions without recourse against any other motorist in the event of an accident.

James, do you think the above rule should extend to further cage/motorcycle interactions where the motorist is not aware of the motorcyclists presence. If not, why not?

I lane-split on my commute to work in the UK in posted 30 mph limits in very heavily congested traffic. I pull over for the bikes who are splitting at a faster speed than I. I commute on a particularly suitable vehicle, namely a twist-and-go lightweight scooter which is not difficult to control at low speeds.

Since most lane-splitting accidents in the UK happen when folks make right turns out of or into side roads - not so much changing lanes on dual-carriageway roads, acute observation of surrounding traffic conditions is essential> A moderate splitting speed is required to give ones self enough time to gather all the relevant information.

Edited by John Bentall
What kind of oil do ya'll use?

Michelin oil and Mobil ONE tires.

Just ordered a set of Mobil One tires. Thanks for the tip! :wave:

Dennis Andress
I'll say one more thing. In any state that allows lane splitting by only two wheeled motorcycles I think to be fair other motorists should not incur any increased liability if a motorcyclist is injured or killed by a motorist that was not aware of the presence of the lane splitting motorcyclist. In other words the motorcyclist assumes all risk and responsibility for his or her actions without recourse against any other motorist in the event of an accident.

This might cause motorcyclists with a functioning brain to think twice before they lane split just to save a few minutes getting from point A to B if they know they do so at their own risk with no chance for injury compensation.

To date no state other than CA allows lane splitting.

Dude, you would be much happier if you would let this stuff go...

Since California law allows two vehicles to share a lane liability in the event of an accident comes down to which side of the line the motorcycle was on when hit. If a car comes across the line and hits a motorcyclist the car driver is at fault. If the car was in the same lane as the motorcycle then the rider is at least partially at fault.

If any other state were to legalize lane splitting there would be a period of time without established case law regarding personal injury and lane splitting. That would be a risky time to be splitting.

What kind of oil do ya'll use?

Michelin oil and Mobil ONE tires.

Just ordered a set of Mobil One tires. Thanks for the tip! :wave:

:rofl:

MB>

Actually, a sign that says "Watch for Motorcycles" doesn't, IMHO, say anything, or provide enough information to drivers from other areas about the topic, lane splitting.

Now signs that say "Watch for lane splitting, it's legal :) " might help.

Billboards picturing lane positions of vehicles and motorcycles would also go a long way to help illustrate the concept.

I learned a long time ago, never assume.

The more information, education, and opportunity to learn someone has when exposed to a new concept, the more likely they will have a positive experience.

I've been hit from the rear on a motorcycle (well, R50 not just a mc :Cool: ), intentionally, by a drunk driver (yes, understand intoxication and legal concept of intent),

from the side on a bicycle, and from the front as a pedestrian.

All drivers left the scene, the truck that hit me on the R50 was going over 100 and never slowed or stopped.

Knowing what is "right", "legal", etc doesn't mean the driver in another vehicle will do so.

The more positive interactions and images drivers have of riders, the better the chance they will respond appropriately.

Be safe out there.

Edited by tallman

"Dude, you would be much happier if you would let this stuff go..."

No argument thereI think you are right.

"James, do you think the above rule should extend to further cage/motorcycle interactions where the motorist is not aware of the motorcyclists presence. If not, why not?"

No, I see no similarity between cage/motorcycle interactions and interactions caused by lane splitting in heavy traffic. Maybe someday when accident avoidance technology is in common use lane splitting can be safely accomplished but not now. Often times when the cage operator says they didn't see the motorcyclist they are telling the truth and juries are often sympathetic to this argument and rightfully so. This is one of the inherent hazards of motorcycle riding which we as motorcyclists should be aware of and accept.

All I'm saying is if a motorcyclist makes a decision to lane split then that motorcyclist needs to accept the possible consequences for his actions 100%.

Dennis Andress

All I'm saying is if a motorcyclist makes a decision to lane split then that motorcyclist needs to accept the possible consequences for his actions 100%.

That's the way splitting in California was in the 80s. The stories of drivers opening their car door to stop a motorcycle from passing began then. At the very least car drivers could swerve into a splitting bike and not be ticketed. Why in the world would you think such behavior is acceptable, let alone encourage it by removing any recourse available to motorcyclists?