IGNORED

UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes

TyTass

Hi Folks,

We've been having some pretty terrific weather here in the Mid-Atlantic lately. We're guessing more and more of you up north will be turning your attention to riding and ride planning soon as the weather warms.

We're going to be posting information about the area's best attractions ... i.e., THE ROADS ... in this thread.

The routes will be posted in the not too distant future.

• 2 weeks later...
:lurk:

At last, I have near-full use of my hand! So, we'll be posting info on our routes very soon.

:thumbsup:

Edited by marcopolo
:lurk:

At last, I have near-full use of my hand! So, we'll be posting info on our routes very soon.

Great, I am glad you have recovered. :clap:

Looking forward to the routes. :lurk:

THE SMOKY MOUNTAIN SWEET SIXTEEN:

There are nearly countless great roads within a 75-mile radius of Fontana Village Resort. In fact, we think the entire region rocks for sport-touring! And because it RAWKS so hard, we’ve chosen a “rock concert” theme for BMWST UnRally XVI 2017. In commemoration of UN XVI, your hosts have identified 16 roads we believe to be the must-see roads. We’ve dubbed them, “The Smoky Mountain Sweet 16." They are listed in the graphic below (by rough proximity to Fontana Village Resort):

i-x5VW6q2.png

Edited by TyTass

Frank Cheek of T.W.O used to call this loop the "Cooler Run". Approximately 37 miles, with hundreds of turns. Run it clockwise, then turn around and run it again counterclockwise.

0ddp39.png

UN XVI SPORT TOURING ROUTES

Your "UN-Coordinators" have created a range of Sport Touring (ST) routes that we believe best showcase the region’s best paved roads. Note: Dual Sport (DS) route information will be provided later and in separate thread.

We've created two types of ST routes:

- ST Short Loops ... Single-segment, short mileage routes for those who don’t care to or are unable (due to 2ML or 2LS) to crank out 226-310 miles of non-stop twisties and sweepers.

- ST Day Rides ... Two-segment routes: (1) an initial segment that directs a rider to a recommended breakfast/lunch stop and (2) a choice of three return segments route the rider back to the resort.

As most of these routes traverse a large number of roads with many turns, and numerous points-of-interest (POIs), trying to name them by roads, direction, or POIs seemed cryptic at best, to someone unfamiliar with the area. So, in keeping with the Concert Tour theme, we named the routes for well-known songs of the 1970s – 1980s. We’ve changed a few of the names slightly, to be more applicable to the route.

• Dragon the Line

• Roads to Nowhere

• Roundabout

• Highway to Helen

• Maggie Way

• Rock the Pisgah

• Rockin’ Down the Skyway

When we distribute the actual GPS files, feel free to rename, edit, or modify them however to your heart's content. The GPS files will be made available at a later date and in a separate thread. Throughout the remainder of this thread, we will provide information about the UN XVI routes; the fantastic roads and sights to see while sport touring at the UN.

Feel free to add your experiences and knowledge, of course.

Edited by TyTass

The graphic below is an overview of the three ST SHORT LOOPS:

i-XBK67Bm-XL.png

The graphic below is an overview of the four ST DAY RIDES (each having four segments):

i-sm4f79f-XL.png

Edited by TyTass

UN_XVI - Roundabout (129)

[Yes, 1971]

(NOTE: mileage in parentheses)

Call it morning driving thru the sound and in and out the valley.” When Jon Anderson of Yes wrote these lyrics, he wasn’t describing riding this route. However, the lyrics work nicely to do just that. This route heads down two thirds of Moonshiner 28 to Franklin NC, where you may want to stop and have a quality bite at Caff-E Rel, a fantastic restaurant in the rear of a gas station. Before heading out of town, you may want to visit the ABC Store so you can imbibe later that evening. After leaving Franklin, the route heads back to Fontana via Wayah Rd, a perennial favorite of the area, followed by US-129 near the Dragon and then HellBender. Throughout this route, you’ll pass several lakes and the mountains really do “come out of the sky and stand there” while you carve between them. Play the MP3 while you ride and let Chris Squire’s seminal galloping bass line set the tempo.

i-Jw7N6Jg-XL.png

Edited by TyTass

Here's a pic of Danny (Huzband), Matt (Matts_12GS), and me checking out Fontana Dam during BRR I, back in 2008. Fontana Dam is right near the Fontana Resort, being right at the start of HellBender 28, which basically shares some of the same roadway of Moonshiner 28.

IMG_2224-L.jpg

Here's a pic of Danny (Huzband), Matt (Matts_12GS), and me checking out Fontana Dam during BRR I, back in 2008. Fontana Dam is right near the Fontana Resort, being right at the start of HellBender 28, which basically shares some of the same roadway of Moonshiner 28.

IMG_2224-L.jpg

That was a great day. Danny on the POS Aprillia...

And me in the Ed Boudreaux's Bayou BBQ shirt....

UN_XVI – Roads to Nowhere (185)

[Talking Heads, 1985] Back when most of us were, well, more svelte!!

:whistle::dopeslap::rofl:

Roads to Nowhere? Not Hardly. You’ll ride on a part of Moonshiner 28, US-441 thru the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Foothills Parkway, the Dragon, and finish up with HellBender. However, there are two roads that that drive you into the interior of the US National Park that has more diversity of fauna and flora than all the other US National Parks combined. Fontana Rd. behind Bryson City is affectionately named “The Road to Nowhere” as it ends at a landmark dubbed “The Tunnel to Nowhere.” Bryson City will afford opportunities to stop for breakfast/lunch and/or pick up some ‘packages’ at the ABC Store for an evening cocktail. You can also visit the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad to consider a possible train excursion while at the UN or simply visit the model railway museum. Back to the route, the other road that dives into the park, the Cades Cove loop, really displays the beauty of the Smoky Mountains. No worries as to being bored returning on either of these roads though, as they aren’t long and provide great sightseeing and riding. Besides that, you know what they say; riding a road the opposite direction is to ride a completely different road.

i-LFn7WrK-XL.png

UN_XVI - Dragon the Line (139)

[Tommy James, 1971]

This 139-mile loop includes the Cherohala Skyway, the Tail of the Dragon, and HellBender. What more could anyone want in a 139-mile route? Tommy James was writing about “work” when he crafted the tune, “Draggin’ the Line.” While each of these roads requires no small amount of concentration and effort to ride well, no self-respecting rider would call it “work.” And the only draggin’ goin’ on here might be someone’s pegs if they aren’t ‘smart’ about how they ride these roads.

i-B6ZNNrx-XL.png

Fun Fact: You may notice a series of poles along the Cherohala Skyway. The endangered Carolina Northern Flying Squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus) uses them to launch themselves across the road.

-G3e8m2vLyc6Hh5M0ULxUw4vFlyQ4U56b09FY5Q7YWMG0weoS5RAlSlYdgzkDW4d1wB3X1-zmUql-g=w700?=.jpg

F1bRUjm_rvb4RfmOw9OFltLMz6yS220Ai_0w3JwsmjFgvUDq7-p5CHh6-hwDp9a5kckSQ5ftOXzEcg=w600?=.jpg

Move through the area quickly. You don’t want to chance an encounter with these beasts. Don’t let the photo fool you, they are terrifying.

pftGUPvWIdSVKkeGnzrPvhtYBfIujOSbF6Uxyy0-2zel6wcdx89k4fjB0Fk4oTFuA6hOnJwfuvfRNQ=w600?=.jpg

I have been across the Cherohala so many times I lost track ... 20, 30? I don't know. However, I can't believe I never noticed those poles nor heard anything about these flying squirrels until you told me about them. Quite fascinating!

I have been across the Cherohala so many times I lost track ... 20, 30? I don't know. However, I can't believe I never noticed those poles nor heard anything about these flying squirrels until you told me about them. Quite fascinating!

Perhaps you should slow down a skosh :/

This is Terri and me on the Cherohala ... photo by Killboy or US-129 Photos. The was taken during START 2015 in Dillard GA. If I recall correctly we were riding with Shawn (Lone_RT_Rider) and his SO, and I believe Dan (S.O.B.). If I forgot anyone, I apologize.

Photo companies like these set up initially on the Dragon. KillBoy was first, but then came others. They can also sometimes be seen on other roads like the Cherohala and Hwy 215 Parkway Rd. They set up their various 'locations' on the roadsides, put up their signs, and take a short series picture of most everyone who rides by. Sometimes they can't capture everyone if a long line or there traffic coming from the opposite direction.

Later they post the day's shots on their websites, which are usually pretty easy to find even if you failed to remember which was which, on which curve. If you like your pics you can buy copies from them.

727317-L.jpg

Perhaps you should slow down a skosh :/

It's not the speed at all (bc I'm really not fast). It's the lack of processing power! :dopeslap:

A shot of kinsley and me on the Dragon from during START 2014 Robbinsville. The only reason I managed to be in this pic behind Ken is that we'd had just passed a line of slower vehicles so I had been able to catch up again. I'm quite certain that one or perhaps two curves after this pic was taken, I lost sight of him again.

%271735566-129Slayer-L.jpg

A shot of kinsley and me on the Dragon from during START 2014 Robbinsville. The only reason I managed to be in this pic behind Ken is that we'd had just passed a line of slower vehicles so I had been able to catch up again. I'm quite certain that one or perhaps two curves after this pic was taken, I lost sight of him again.

That is a nice picture of you and Ken! I hope these routes and pictures will motivate a few more BMWST new Board members to join us at this years UN! :thumbsup:

I shot a good bit of video that day. The idea was to stay really close to him, because as you may know GoPro's fisheye lens makes s it all but impossible to discern who is in front unless you are really, really close.

In the end I wound up with a whole lot of video of something that kind of looked like it might be a motorcycle somewhere out in the distance (on straightaways, of course). :dopeslap:

There were times that he followed me (poor bastage), like going the other way on the Dragon. Let me just say, not only could I never pull away from him, I think he managed to get in frame on a few of the tighter curves, so close he was to me. He'll deny it, but it's true! I swear! :whistle:

The video was pretty damned useless for Ken's purposes, but the few moments we were close did a great job of illustrating to me a much better way of riding.

Joking aside, that was a great day of riding. Ken showed me and taught me a lot that I'm still working on.

UN_XVI - Maggie Way (104)

[Rod Stewart, 1971]

Maggie Valley is the site of many BMWST events in the SE; Blue Ridge Rendezvous events (Lone_RT_Rider & Matts_12GS), FART/START events (Kinsley, TyTass, & Workin’ Them Angels), as well as several ad hoc events. Although El Paseo events (David & Stretchmark) weren't technically in Maggie Valley, Cherokee is practically the same area and it was THE original SE event.

Because of these events, many a current member on this side of the Big Muddy have been enticed away from aimless, solo riding, or riding with other groups/clubs by “the love” on display during these BMWST events. The love of motorcycles, fantastic scenery, countless technical roads, and last but definitely not least … fellowship with kindred souls (and more than a few goof-balls).

However, the nostalgia of riding here is not for the SE Crew alone. If you can afford some time from the route, stop by Wheels Thru Time motorcycle museum to get a serious dose of nostalgia. Please note that viewing the entire collection can take a while, so you will want to plan accordingly. Keep in mind that before the route has you taking lunch in Hot Springs, The Rattler (Hwy 209, one of the region’s longest set of twisties) beckons, so don’t dawdle too long in yesteryear.

i-zXTR8zn-XL.png

There were times that he followed me (poor bastage), like going the other way on the Dragon. Let me just say, not only could I never pull away from him, I think he managed to get in frame on a few of the tighter curves, so close he was to me. He'll deny it, but it's true! I swear! :whistle:

The video was pretty damned useless for Ken's purposes, but the few moments we were close did a great job of illustrating to me a much better way of riding.

Joking aside, that was a great day of riding. Ken showed me and taught me a lot that I'm still working on.

I will only admit that the curves were tight and I was late braking :bike:

You were pretty tired at the end of that long day getting there, so it was unfair to expect you to be at your peak riding ability. I did enjoy discussing proper lines for safety and efficiency, something not covered in RideSmart.

A shot of kinsley and me on the Dragon . . .

Exceptional - thanks for sharing! I agree with Bob - this is a great teaser and illustrates nicely some of what this area has to offer in abundance. :dance::thumbsup:

Below is a link to a video I made a few years ago when Matt, Alan, and I met up at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground to celebrate Matt's 50th (yes, he's the youngster in that group). It was a fun weekend where we got silly as can be, largely because we were freezing our butts off (it got into the 20's each evening and none of us had anticipated that).

Anyway, this video opens with a longish segment of The Rattler (Hwy 209), which is on the Maggie May initial route. Click here for the video.

If you care to know the whole story behind the video and the things that show up in it, click here for the whole ride tale.

(NOTE: If you don't like any sort of Heavy Metal, you might want to turn this down.)

UN_XVI - Maggie Way_A (134-238)

[Rod Stewart, 1971]

Sated by lunch at the Smoky Mountain Diner, this second, and optional leg of the route has plenty to offer those who are brave, curious, and willing to risk a little bit of "Dilly-Dollying" around. You’ll head up into Tennessee, skirting some of the more populated areas, though you shouldn’t see too much of that until you snake through Pidgeon Forge and Gatlinburg. We don’t recommend a trip to Dollywood, or going much off-route as the crowds and traffic are often ridiculous. Keep to the route and you will be rewarded with the fastest, most traffic-free route through/around those towns, to where the scenery makes it worthwhile. That said, wild-fires last summer did some damage in this area but there should be some new growth (and some new buildings as well). Finish the day with a jaunt down Foothills Parkway and then on to the Dragon and HellBender before retiring for the day. An exceptional 238 miles.

i-xcR5cpD-XL.png

Here is a favorite image taken during BRR II on the Hellbender 28. It's a pretty place to ride trust me, you'll love it!!!

28_2-M.jpg

Bud, this pic of this poster in Wheels Thru Time makes me ask two questions:

(1) Is this your rig?

(2) Do you remember this ad? :rofl:

phone%20stuff%20117-XL.jpg

Edited by TyTass
Bud, this pic of this poster in Wheels Thru Time makes me ask two questions:

(1) Is this your rig?

(2) Do you remember this ad? :rofl:

phone%20stuff%20117-XL.jpg

Cold, really really cold! :rofl:

I love a wicked, twisted sense of humor. :wave::clap:

I understand that Bud is now an "experienced" hack pilot.

Yes I am. 1/2 hour in parking lot trying not to run into light posts. Then 7 miles home with Josh in the car, screaming the whole way! :grin: (or maybe that was just in my head????)

Just a taste of things to come.

April 10 is when I pick the hack up in MI. Let the fun begin!!!!!! :clap:

UN_XVI - Maggie Way_B (170-274)

[Rod Stewart, 1971]

After lunch, you may decide that The Rattler was worth experiencing more than just the one time. So, go ahead and do it the other direction. Bypass Maggie this time and head on up to Balsam Gap to hit the last two segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mount US-441 (away from Cherokee) and cut through the heart of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Be wary of wild animals in the park; but not just deer, turkey, and bear. Watch out for Smoky the Bear, as they patrol frequently. Also be wary of drivers stopping suddenly when they see an animal. Clingman’s Dome, Tennessee’s tallest mountain, has a fantastic vista from the overlook at the top, but it’s a bit of a hike from the parking lot. Head down the western side and enjoy the depth of the forests. Finish the day with a jaunt down Foothills Parkway and then on the Dragon and HellBender to close the day.

i-d8mDPPw-XL.png

UN_XVI - Maggie Way_C (195-299)

[Rod Stewart, 1971]

For those who get up really early and/or can maintain a relentless pace over numerous twisties, try this one on for size. After lunch, head back down The Rattler (I know, throw you in that briar patch, right?). But this time, at the Trust Diner/gas station, head east on Hwy 63 (Leicester Hwy). About a year ago, much of this twisty road got a sorely needed topping of fresh asphalt. After several miles on Hwy 63, a right turn starts you on a many-road journey marked by hopping up and over several short but steep peaks (can you say Paved Goat Paths?) all the way back to Hwy 209 again.

Bypass Maggie this time head on up to Balsam Gap to hit the last two segments of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take US-441 (away from Cherokee) and cut through the heart of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. As with the B option, be wary of wild animals in the park, cagers making sudden stops in the road, and Park Rangers on patrol. Despite the potential for slow going, at times, it is a beautiful place. Clingman’s Dome has a fantastic vista, but you probably won’t have time for the hike. Head down the western side and enjoy the depth of the forests. Finish the day with a jaunt down Foothills Parkway and then on the Dragon and HellBender … then back to the resort for some much needed refreshment.

i-6Q3mQMz-XL.png

UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah (125)

[The Clash, 1982]

Once known to the Cherokee as Warwasseeta, this ridge of Mt. Pisgah has offered up long views, revealing a “promised land” of great riding in all directions. Leaving the resort you’ll head past Bryson City and Dillsboro before you enter the Blue Ridge Parkway at Balsam Gap. There you’ll enjoy the twisties, sweepers, and scenic overlooks of the BRP. You’ll be thankful you’re there on a weekday in early summer when there aren’t three-mile back-ups caused by 5-mph-fall-color-leaf-peepers. It’s a sure thing that “Shareef don’t like it!”

You’ll detour off the BRP at Hwy 215 and head down Lake Logan Rd (one of The Beastie Boys’ favs), which plunges into the Pidgeon River gorge alongside Cold Mountain. Hold your breath through the small town of Canton NC (dubbed Stinky Town … you’ll see) and you’ll be rewarded with Hwy 151. Though it starts off rather ‘ho-hum,’ several miles before it ends at the BRP the curves get so tight you can see yourself from behind if you go fast enough. A quick sprint on the BRP leads to the Pisgah Inn for breakfast, lunch or even just a cuppa Joe. Take time to enjoy the views from the patio. This is one place even “Shareef” would like!

i-jb9RTcq-XL.png

UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_A (111-236)

[The Clash, 1982]

Despite this being the shortest return route, you’ll still want to have your “A” game on hand. Before leaving the Pisgah Inn cue up a lively playlist and head west on the BRP. Exit again at Hwy 215, but head toward Rosman this time on Parkway Rd. A short way down Parkway Rd, after several really nice sweepers, there is a nearly-hidden right turn that puts you on a nearly-unknown and nearly-uninhabited road, Charley’s Creek. There’s never a dull moment in a nearly-unbroken series of twists, curves, and switchbacks until you intersect with Hwy 281, Canada Rd. A dozen or so sweepers later you’ll use Hwy 107 as a connector to get to Cullowhee Mountain Rd, which you’ll leave shortly after to use Tilley Creek Rd to climb up out of the valley. That becomes Ellijay Rd as it plunges into the next valley. Using US-23 to bypass Franklin (unless you want to stop by the ABC store in town to take liquor back to the resort), Sanderstown Rd. gets you to the middle third of Moonshiner 28, which undulates more than perhaps any other major roadway in the region. It ROCKS & ROLLS! The most northern section of “Moonshiner 28” returns you to the resort.

i-SBLFpwR-XL.png

roadscholar

I've been "driving" Porsche's on those roads since the mid 60's and bikes since about 1981. :old: Charley's Creek, Tilley Creek, and Ellijay are great roads and are getting real close to my 'secret stash' : )

If you just took one day and rode all the paved roads within the Silva/Franklin/Highlands/Cashiers quadrangle it might be some of the best riding in the eastern U.S. I've highlighted some of the main ones here starting with Walnut Creek after you leave Ellijay Rd.(also named 1001). 28 is a great road but is so busy between Franklin and Highlands now that it's more frustrating than anything.

The Norton Triangle

I've been "driving" Porsche's on those roads since the mid 60's and bikes since about 1981. :old: Charley's Creek, Tilley Creek, and Ellijay are great roads and are getting real close to my 'secret stash' : )

If you just took one day and rode all the paved roads within the Silva/Franklin/Highlands/Cashiers quadrangle it might be some of the best riding in the eastern U.S. I've highlighted some of the main ones here starting with Walnut Creek after you leave Ellijay Rd.(also named 1001). 28 is a great road but is so busy between Franklin and Highlands now that it's more frustrating than anything.

The Norton Triangle

Thank you for posting this - don't believe I have been on any of the Norton Triangle roads. Plan on doing it this year. :thumbsup: