IGNORED

Triumph T120 Street Twin

Red

My spousal unit is looking for a new ride. 5'4'' and inseam challenged. We looked at the new Triumph Street Twins. Of course it is mid winter and no test ride possible. She's a day ride only person so multi day comfort saddle is not important nor is luggage space or all the things that make a touring (my kind) of bike suitable. I ask because I'm not a good judge on this bike as I cut my teeth on Triumphs in the 60's & 70's and the nostalgia force is strong. Anyone have experience or informed opinions on the Triumph Street Twin?

I missed the force you speak of by about ten years :grin: but was at the dealership a while back and they had the bike on the floor. Now, in a room full of very expensive BMW motorcycles I couldn't take my eyes off the Street Twin. :dontknow::thumbsup:

The salesman started the bike for me and I couldn't believe the awesome sound it produced from even the stock pipes. I zipped my Stitch and got out of the danger zone in a hurry. :burnout:

Listen and prepare to spend! :grin:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RuWVlOO6P8I

Pat

So, now I'm a wee bit confused. The literature I have says the motor in the Street Twin is a 900cc rather than the 1200 in the Bonneville. Literature says it's a "...high-torque engine...delivering 18% more peak torque than the previous generation: the1200cc high-torque engine of the Bonneville T120 and the T120 Black; and the 1200cc high-power Thruxton spec engine from the Thruxton and the Thruxton R."

It goes on to say the Street Twin also has a 36% improved fuel economy as well.

So, more torque, 25% smaller displacement, 36% better mileage sounds almost too good to be true. Must be some flaw to balance out all that good stuff; vibrates, eats chains, wobbles on hard deceleration, ride by wire is goofy, what?

Edited by Red

Red,

Yes the Street Twin (and Street Cup) use 900cc "high torque" motors. From what I have read, peak horsepower is down from the last generation air-cooled motor. Significantly, peak torque has increased. No magic; that's just an atypical change. Obviously, our friends at H-D emphasize low-RPM torque at the expense of peak horsepower and it seems to work.

I may have misunderstood your comparison of the 900cc and 1200cc motors. The 1200 motors produce both more power and more torque than the 900s. Interestingly, there are two variations of the high torque 1200, with the Bobber producing more peak torque (at lower RPM) than the Bonneville T120.

Although you asked for empirical evidence, allow me to say that without having ridden any of the new Bonnevilles or their relatives, I like them. Unlike just about every other manufacturer, Triumph understands the appeal of bikes with "classic" aesthetics. Admittedly, they have a series of bikes with irregularly shaped headlamps and way too much clearance between the rear tire and fender, but the Bonneville family is not in that group.

One of the the forum members rode a Bonneville T120 (dual discs on the front) and was underwhelmed by its lack of braking power. That bears further inquiry.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Sheehan
  • 2 weeks later...
Bill_Walker
So, now I'm a wee bit confused. The literature I have says the motor in the Street Twin is a 900cc rather than the 1200 in the Bonneville. Literature says it's a "...high-torque engine...delivering 18% more peak torque than the previous generation: the1200cc high-torque engine of the Bonneville T120 and the T120 Black; and the 1200cc high-power Thruxton spec engine from the Thruxton and the Thruxton R."

It goes on to say the Street Twin also has a 36% improved fuel economy as well.

So, more torque, 25% smaller displacement, 36% better mileage sounds almost too good to be true. Must be some flaw to balance out all that good stuff; vibrates, eats chains, wobbles on hard deceleration, ride by wire is goofy, what?

You might be comparing apples and oranges. The new T120s use the 1200 cc engine, but the prior T100s used an 865 cc engine. The 1200 is new. The Street Twin and some other models use basically the old engine, with updates, as I understand it. Those performance comparisons may be relative to the prior T100, rather than to the T120.

I can't speak to the T-120 or the new "street" specifically but I currently have a 2011 T-100 and previously had a 09' Scrambler, both of which have the 865cc engine. Besides looking awesome, they ride great, are reliable and easy to service. Just be prepared to spend extra time at stops...explaining it's not a restored 62 Bonnie... :grin:

I can throw-in some data that has not been mentioned ... yet.

I too fell for the Triumph twins and after several look-it-over sessions I finally took a test ride.

It was a fine bike, totally acceptable until... I had to stop the bike for the first red light. Ooops! Where is the breaking?. I was pushing on and pulling the various levers but very little perception of braking.

Of course after years of riding BMW's and their highly effective braking systems- it may have just been a matter of high expectations.

I got it stopped at the light then did a U-turn and putted back to the dealer. They had no explanation or even rationalizations.

My advice is to have a test ride before making any decisions.

Missouri Bob
You might be comparing apples and oranges. The new T120s use the 1200 cc engine, but the prior T100s used an 865 cc engine. The 1200 is new. The Street Twin and some other models use basically the old engine, with updates, as I understand it. Those performance comparisons may be relative to the prior T100, rather than to the T120.

Bill,

The T100 also uses a new water-cooled motor; it displaces 899cc.

Bob

The T-120 is absolutely gorgeous and a blast to ride. It is a great day trip type bike. I gave one an extensive test ride and had a huge grin the whole time. Beautiful, beautiful bike. Great motor, riding position, ABS. I wouldn't choose it as a touring bike as there are no good options for bags and it's a chain drive train. I also prefer linked brakes. But it's a stunningly beautiful bike really enjoyable to ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Honda 750 as a second bike, and love it. My vertically challenged buddy rides it, too, sometimes. It took a few small mods, but for $1500.00, couldn't go wrong.

My bride was riding a 1982 Yam XJ750 previous to whatever comes next. I don't think any new bike today will be a disappointment in braking.

Missouri Bob

Today I rode a Street Cup (a Street Twin with café racer details), and I *really* liked it. That motor is a gem. Yes, the single disc could be stronger. I rode to the Triumph dealer on my 1975 Honda, so the brakes were not a problem.

I also rode a Street Triple. Fabulous brakes, suspension, and power. However, its appearance would probably never grow on me. And something about the Triple seemed to encourage irresponsible riding. "No Officer, it's not my fault."

Bob

Edited by Bob_Sheehan
Missouri Bob

Two days ago, I bought a new Thruxton. Holy smokes. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was in my teens.

Bob

Two days ago, I bought a new Thruxton. Holy smokes.

Announcements such as this require a picture. Rules are rules! ;):grin:

Cool!! :thumbsup:

Pat

Missouri Bob
Nice, Bob! Is it my imagination, or is that temporary plate the size of a car license plate?

I think it might be larger.

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I've been riding a 2008 R1200GS for the past six years, and for the most part, it is a terrific bike. Although mine was lowered at the factory, its seat is still higher than I would prefer. And then there is how the GS looks. It's grown on me, but I wanted something with more traditional aesthetics.

So, the Triumph has a lower seat and the bike is, IMO, much more attractive. It is also quicker, and possibly smoother, than my BMW. However, it does not seem to be as well-designed as a BMW. The BMW's brakes are far better (and linked). The suspension is probably comparable, but to minimize front-end dive, the forks are less supple than those on a tele-lever bike.

The Triumph appears to be put together with an attention to detail that previously eluded Triumph. I hope that its finish will hold up as well as that of my GS.

Because the Thruxton uses inner-tubes, I will most likely get the rims sealed so that I can lose the tubes. Today, I removed the rear wheel just to see how much work was involved. Not a good time. A Street Twin uses tubeless tires and can be ordered with a center-stand; things I would want.

In terms of engineering and "feel", I suppose that I would describe my Thruxton as somewhere between a BMW and a Sportster, but more toward the BMW end of the spectrum. It is very much fun to ride.

Ask me again in a year or two.

Bob

Edited by Bob_Sheehan