IGNORED

Front wheel removal

SteveRTParker

SteveRTParker

Q, must you remove the ABS sensor to remove the wheel or will it pass, I'm asking as the sensor is stuck and I don't want to force it and break it that way

Q, must you remove the ABS sensor to remove the wheel or will it pass, I'm asking as the sensor is stuck and I don't want to force it and break it that way

Afternoon Steve

You can get the wheel by the speed sensor-- just be VERY CAREFUL to not bump or bang the sensor on the way out or in as that can ruin the sensor.

SteveRTParker

Thanks for the reply, hoping after the wheel's out I can remove the sensor (taping it out gently) clean and grease it ready for next time.

Thanks for the reply, hoping after the wheel's out I can remove the sensor (taping it out gently) clean and grease it ready for next time.

Afternoon Steve

Be real careful in tapping on that sensor as they are very easy to damage.

Ok, thanks for the 'heads up' so a question - are they normally stiff/tight to remove ?

Afternoon Steve

Not normally but all it takes is a little corrosion & they can stick pretty tight.

Spray on a light amount of WD40 or other lubricant on to the sensor from the outside and the lightly tap on the mounting around the sensor (NOT THE SENSOR)to move the lubricant into the small space between the mounting hole and the sensor and let stand for 30 minutes, then do it again. Then see if the sensor will come out more easily. The wheel can be removed but the front fender my need to be moved and the brake calipers need to come off.

Evening Steve

Be careful & don't try too hard to remove that speed sensor if you don't really need to replace it. (if you damage it that becomes expensive)

Personally I would soak the outboard flange & inner part where it sticks through with PB Blaster or KROIL. (WD-40 doesn't penetrate worth a hoot)

Then just leave it be & ride the bike, then every so often (when you think of it) give it another shot of PB or KROIL. (let the heating & cooling in the sensor area help the penetrant to work)

Maybe by next wheel removal you will be able to budge it or at least turn it a little with a nylon punch. Once you get it turning then they will usually come out. (I had to drill one out of a hexhead after the owner tried too hard to remove it & ruined it)

beemer chuck

PLEASE DO NOT USE PB Blaster on any plastic parts! It can attack many types of plastic. (spray some in a Styrofoam cup) Kroil should be fine. Try a 50% mix of acetone and auto trans fluid to break any corrosion. I have used this to free many corroded parts, although it does take some time to work.

Edited by beemer chuck