IGNORED

Givi Tank Bag 308 or 3D 604?

Bodhi65

I'm looking for tank bags for 2016 RT. I don't like the style of the BMW bag so I am leaning towards a Givi. I like the system. Are there any issues with these two bags? Can you see the instruments and GPS clearly? Any handlebar clearance issues?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Not quite the same, but I've got the XS307. I find that the build quality is good and the mounting system is a breeze to operate. Since it's a different size than those you're considering, I can't offer much help on the visibility or clearance issues, but I'll give a thumbs up to the overall product line.

I did two razor blade modifications to it, cutting off the front retention/carrying strap (which flopped around) and the interior rain flap (which gets in the way and diminishes capacity). Bottom line: I'm happy with XS307, but I cannot, unfortunately, help with your questions about clearance and visibility with these other models.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for tank bags for 2016 RT. I don't like the style of the BMW bag so I am leaning towards a Givi. I like the system. Are there any issues with these two bags? Can you see the instruments and GPS clearly? Any handlebar clearance issues?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have the smaller GIVI and LOVE IT! I have never ever been a tank bag guy assuming at some point I would scratch the tank. I did not even use the rack system bag on my '06 RT. But with the reduced storage compartments on the 2016 RT I decided to go along with my buddies and try the GIVI system. It is really nice and works like a charm! I love the smaller bag and it in no way blocks anything. Hope this helps.!!

Good luck!

p.s. Both my buddies had originally owned the SW Motech bag system and hated it and both swapped to the GIVI. That is why I went with the GIVI as well. It just works better and LOOKS great!

This is what I have

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-3d603-tanklock-tankbag

Edited by RTinNC

I have the XS308 on a 2016 R1200RTW. I bought it despite having read reviews that state handlebar and switch gear, when at full turn in either direction, can contact the bag sides. This occurs exactly as advertised, however has not caused any real life problems for several reasons. First the bag does give enough to allow full turn of handle bars when required. Second in normal cross country riding a full turn of the handle bars in either direction is not required very often. Third, the great majority of the bags space can be utilized without the removable front and side pockets, which are very easily removed, and which reduces handlebar/bag side contact. The bag will hold a full size Canon 5D MKIII with Canon EF24-105 lens along with a couple rags, glasses, wallet, gloves, phone, etc. Its a nice roomy bag with a handy map pocket on top. I've not had any issues viewing instrument panel or GPS. No regrets. The bike specific tank flange is BF17.

Edited by LATiger
Will these bags mount on a 2012 RT? mine has the "rack" on the tank.

I checked on the GIVI site and did not see the '12 RT listed but you may want to just give them a call.

I have the Givi 3D 604. Wanted a tank bag that ( finally ) didn't beep the horn or turn on turn signals when bars are turned to lock in either direction! Plenty big enough, actually the size has worked out better than I thought. I like to carry the bag in with me on gas and food stops...

DSC01927_zpsoleuwhkj.jpg

DSC01928_zpsvkiuci8w.jpg

The 3D 604 has been discontinued. You may find one at a retailer, but Givi is no longer shipping them and has no stock. They've been replaced with the ST 603, dimensions aren't listed as yet - but it's also a 15l bag. (the 3D604 is 13.4l x 9.8w x 9.4/11.8 (expanded). New bag will probably have similar dimensions, the new version of the smaller 4 liter bag increased by 1 inch in length, but is 3/10ths shorter.

Linky

I just opted to go with a RKA 4/10l bag. 10x9x3.5 = 4 liter

Expands to 10 liter 10x9x9. I like that it has a small footprint that can expand as needed.

There are so many tankbag options, I just thought I'd share. I'll post a review and my pics in the review section to help develop a database. I would encourage others to do so too. There are always bike specific issues/questions that only owners can discover/answer.

RT_853C.jpg

Edited by workin' them angels

That new replacement for the 604 looks almost the same. I see they eliminated the very easily fastened and easy to use map pocket for the top. I put route sheets in that. I would miss that. Otherwise appears to be about the same. Price didn't go down......