IGNORED

1150RT won't start

Aram

2004 1150RT was running perfectly last fall. I have barely ridden it in the last few months. I started it up the other day, starter made machine gun noises (never did that before) and the engine kicked over. Today, just the machine gunning but no start.

I'm not familiar with this symptom. What might be going on?

Thanks all.

Aram

Have you had the bike on a trickle charger? Sounds like the battery is weak or there is a bad connection at the starter maybe.

Check the battery voltage as it sits and then when you try to start it. In the past if the battery voltage drops below 10 volts it may be a bad battery.

2004 1150RT was running perfectly last fall. I have barely ridden it in the last few months. I started it up the other day, starter made machine gun noises (never did that before) and the engine kicked over. Today, just the machine gunning but no start.

I'm not familiar with this symptom. What might be going on?

Morning Aram

That machine gun noise is more than likely the starter solenoid quickly kicking in & out.

That is usually due to a very low battery condition.

Try jumping your bike from a NON RUNNING car, truck, or from another motorcycle (not all that easy on an 1150RT).

Or if you have a battery charger give the battery a good charge then try starting it.

Or if you have some help try push starting the bike in 4th or 5th gear-- with the key-on get it rolling then engaging the clutch after rolling out (take a couple of good pushers or a good down hill run)

Once you have it running then make sure the charging system is working correctly (& make sure the alternator belt is tight)

Also have your battery load tested (a lot of motorcycle dealers will do that for free)

Thanks guys. Duh. I feel stupid. Of course it's the battery.

Thanks for the help! Battery Tender won't stuff electrons back into it, so time for a new battery.

Aram