IGNORED

02 RT Antenna mount.

Redman

Kenwood radio KRC-335

IMG_8181n82c_w800_zps2tt3qoou.jpg

THe plastic ring around the base of the antenna broke (can see the pieces laid on top of the radio, upper right side).

Question:

Would that anntenna be BMW? (I cant seem to find it in microficshe).

Would the antenna base be BMW?

Looks to me that stock BMW is a hole in the fairing? THat correct?

In picture, my finger is lifting up the rubber base, so can see under it. But this part that broke goes over top of the rubber base.

At the moment I have the top of the anntenna stuck under the windshield and tie-wrapped to the "shelf" to keep it from flopping around.

Anyway, Maybe I can figure how to dissasemble this somehow, and see what size threads are there and maybe get some generic nut to put on it.

Anybody have any words of wisdom....?

Morning Redman

Your antenna parts (what few there are) are on (page 65_1158 - LOUDSPEAKER / ANTENNA) in the BMW parts diagrams (or microfiche).

Morning Redman

Your antenna parts (what few there are) are on (page 65_1158 - LOUDSPEAKER / ANTENNA) in the BMW parts diagrams (or microfiche).

B0008339.png

Yes!

That looks more like it, more than what I had found before.

THanks

B0825-65212325382-EMBASE-D-ANTENNE.jpg

Yah, yah.

Edited by Redman

Thank you again Mr DR.

You continue to impress me.

I was still annoyed that I did not find that myself.

I had found something else that was "antenna" but did not look at all like this fairing mounted antenna. It looked more like a horizontal surface mounting and the antenna straight vertical, perpendicular to the mounting. And I recall the microfiche said something about "authority". I took that to be some translation of "this is the authoritative reference material". I bet you are going to tell me that it meant RTP police model. har har har

Hi!!

I have the same problem Redman has with my antenna. The base is broken. How is the best way to make the repair? Can I replace the antenna base without taking apart the upper fairing? I have the threaded antenna, rubber seal, and the cog wheel looking thing attached to the threaded antenna. What do you recommend before I start? Better to ask now than to go thru trial and error. Thanks!! 2003 R11500RT.

........... The base is broken. How is the best way to make the repair? Can I replace the antenna base without taking apart the upper fairing? ......

I also need to know how to dissasemble and reassemble all that after I get the base.

And lets clarify what you are saying. WHen you say "base", I assume you mean the part that is missing in my top picture, and is in pieces in the 2nd picture )laying on top of the radio). The part number 2 on the microfische posted above.

I see that part does have a sepertate part number, and still shown on various sites with a price of about $12. I have an inquiry into local dealer to verify that it is available.

Do you still have the pieces of the base, and can you inspect things? Does the base have internal threads?

(my bike is 2200 miles away).

I do not have much of any idea how to gain access into the inside of the fairing, but do want to know.

Here is the best pic I have of the temperary restraint to hold the antenna up.

0220171335-00c_w800_zpsqeyvwjat.jpg

Edited by Redman

Yes, we are talking about the same part. My old part is in pieces but it does not look like it has internal threads. It is part #2. The cog wheel looking part has internal threads that screws into the antenna. It looks like the base sits between the rubber seal and the cog wheel, I think. I'm hoping it can be replaced without taking apart the upper fairing.

I replaced mine several years ago and don't remember what all had to come off. I do believe it was more complicated then was expected. Left side panel did come off. You can't access it with nay removing the mirror.

2003 R1150RT

Some of you may be saying "why bother with an antiquated antenna?".

Well, because it is there.

............. I'm hoping it can be replaced without taking apart the upper fairing.

Assuming the base part is still available (for $12). How about I get two, and send one to you. THen, in return, you can report on the installation. Then I don't have to figure it out on my own. Of course that means you have to answer all my ignoramus questions har har har

I replaced mine several years ago and don't remember what all had to come off. I do believe it was more complicated then was expected. Left side panel did come off. You can't access it with nay removing the mirror.

2003 R1150RT

I know that have to remove mirror (just push it forward) to get a at one of the many torx screws to remove the side panel. THat what you mean?

Or are you saying that if remove the mirror, then can reach in to get fingers on back side of the antenna mount....?

Edited by Redman

Mirror must be removed first before you can remove the side panel. Do you have some type of manual? The speaker may have to come out, just cant remember.

Edited by PAS
Mirror must be removed first before you can remove the side panel. Do you have some type of manual? The speaker may have to come out, just cant remember.

Yes, I have the big thick Clymers manaul. Has a section for removing side panel (early step is removing the mirror). Has section for removing this panel and section for removing that panel and section for removing other panbel (most start with Remove Side Panel).

Isnt a section in manual for "to gain access to back side of the antenna mount".

I was just asking to better understand what you were saying.

Thanks for further comment.

I already ordered the part. When I get it, I'll know more about what I'll have to do to install it. I'll let you know. I might have the part by the end of the week.

........... When I get it, I'll know more about what I'll have to do to install it. I'll let you know........

Do let us know how avaiable the part ("base") was, and what you found about installing it.

Seems like the major factor is getting access to inside the upper fairing.

This other microfische page shows the antenna somewhat differently

150251.jpg

That part 5 has same part number. THis view doesnt show that base part as well as the other page does. But this page shows the other parts better. But does Give a better idea of how the antenna comes apart.

Edited by Redman
  • 2 weeks later...
I already ordered the part. When I get it, I'll know more about what I'll have to do to install it. I'll let you know. I might have the part by the end of the week.

Got mine.

IMG_8365n6n7n8_w1000_zpshi2b7yrl.jpg

Any update on your end....?

(will be a while before the part and me and the RT will all be in the same place at the same time.)

Edited by Redman

Yes, that's the part I received. Problem is I don't understand how it works. The antenna with the cog wheel fits into the cup but what keeps the antenna in place? Not sure if this is the right part. Since the old part was destroyed, I have nothing to compare with the new part. Not sure what to do at this point. Don't want to remove the upper fairing only to find out I don't have the right part. I may do nothing at this point. I don't have a radio, just wanted to repair the antenna mount should I decide to sell the RT.

Yes, that's the part I received. Problem is I don't understand how it works. The antenna with the cog wheel fits into the cup but what keeps the antenna in place?

I dont understand your question? Antenna unscrews from it's pivot base "cog wheel" and that fits into your new piece. Your "cog wheel" is a stud with nut inside the fairing.

1150%20radio_zpsarknvhxn.jpg

Edited by PAS

Redman: I tried replacing the part without taking the upper fairing off. Couldn't do it. I don't have a radio so I'm not going to take apart the upper fairing. I was wanting to replace it since I might be selling my RT this year. But radios are going the way of the dinosaur and if I wanted music I would go Bluetooth and/or download tunes to my GPS. I'm not taking this further, it's not worth it to me. If you replace yours, please let me know what you did.

BB,

THanks for reporting back.

I am thinking that if take off the left side panel (not the upper fairing) that maybe can reach into/inside/behind the upper fairing to get at the back side of the antenna mount. But I dont really know.

I want to fix it so the antenna doesnt rattle around, and so not that hole there for water to get into (I dont really know if that is a problem or not).

I have been riding the bike on a total of about 20 different days so far, and have had the radio on for about 3 minutes.