IGNORED

08 R1200RT Alt Belt change spec, conflict info.

Tri750

I've seen 2 different BMW Service sheets showing two different

change times for the alternator belt for this bike.

40,000 Kilometers and 60,000 Kilometers.

(roughly 25 and 35k miles)

Does anyone know the correct spec based on BMW, not "what I do"

(no offence)

Thanks in advance.

I've seen 2 different BMW Service sheets showing two different

change times for the alternator belt for this bike.

40,000 Kilometers and 60,000 Kilometers.

(roughly 25 and 35k miles)

Does anyone know the correct spec based on BMW, not "what I do"

(no offence)

Afternoon Tri750.

Yes, BMW does so if you want to be sure on the (current) belt change interval for THAT particular 2008 bike just have BMW put the bike's VIN into the system & print you out the service sheets.

I also have conflicting change time info & there was a belt design change early in the 1200RT run so it's basically either a guessing game or get the (current) service data using the VIN.

I found this helpful..... (2006 r1200RT)

Continental Contitech specifically designed the Contitech Elastic technology for use on the non-tensioned BMW alternators. Use of any other manufacturers belt will not ensure proper tension over prolonged periods.

Use of other brand belts can lead to

Premature alternator bearing failure due to too tight of a belt tension.

Belt slippage due to too loose of a belt tension.

Temperature-stable from -30 to 80 °C

Tropicalized - withstands high heat extremes

Extremely long service life

Conditionally oil-resistant

No retensioning necessary

The Continental Contitech elastic ribbed belts are self-tensioning which cuts drive costs considerably.

NOTE: There can be confusion regarding the new Continental Contitech Belt PART #’s which were modified (2nd QTR , 2012). There are now 2 Continental Belt Part #’s ending with 611

4PK611 Length = 611 mm

4PK611ELAST Length = 592 mm

Prior to ordering, We recommend you look at your old belt to identify the BMW # .

You should be able to confirm the correct millimeter (mm) belt length if the BMW part # or the Continental Reference # is still visible on the old belt . Please refer to the pictures for details of how to identify the millimeter (mm) length of the belt.

Our part #’s end with the last 3 digits of the BMW Part #.\

Additionally, you may refer to our EXTENDED INFO tab for specific Model and Year application.

Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK611

Length: 611mm

Application: BMW R Oilhead 4 valve

Make/Model: BMW : R850, R1100, R1150, R1200C

Model Years: 1992-2002

Manufacturer #: 12 31 1 341 779

EME Part # Belt-4PK611779

Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK611ELAST

Length: 592 mm

Application: BMW R Oilhead 4-valve, Hexhead

Make/Model: BMW : R850, R1100, R1150, R1200

Model Years: 1996-2010

Manufacturer #: 12 31 7 681 841

EME Part# Belt-4PK592841

This belt ***Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK592ELAST ****

Length: 582mm

Application: BMW R Series Hexhead

Make/Model: BMW : R900, R1200

Model Years: 2005-2011

Manufacturer #: 12 31 7 690 571 Superseded by (12 31 8 528 385)

EME Part# Belt-4PK582571

....so the last one is correct for mine... 582 mm long but called a 4PK592ELAST.... God give me strength. No wonder some cannot get them to fit and some complain of screeching when wet!

Don_Eilenberger

Note that BMW spec'd a tighter belt with each specification change. The original belts on an '07 R1200 engine were the 611mm long ones - with a 36,000 mile spec'd change interval.

This was revised to the 592mm belt with a 24,000 mile change interval in about 2009 - retroactive to the earlier bikes (they hadn't changed anything else on the charging system.)

I'm not sure when the 582mm belt came about, or why the PN indicates a 592mm belt..

It is MUCH harder to put the shorter belts on. Holding it and bumping the starter isn't going to work.

The reason for changing them is apparently with time - the elasticity of the belt weakens and with the 611mm belt this could allow the alternator pully to slip on the belt - so full alternator output wasn't achieved and people started experiencing apparent battery failure - which actually was a not fully charged battery.

This was often misdiagnosed by mechanics as a bad alternator. It seemed as if their diagnosis was correct since they typically replaced the belt as part of replacing the alternator, and the new belt was tight enough that no slippage occurred.

Thing is - a new belt would have resulted in the same end result, without the $600 cost of replacing the alternator.

So - long story short - I replace mine at 24,000 mile intervals, even if it looks PERFECT. I bought a GATES RUBBER tool used to make changing elastic belts easier - cost was about $12 from Amazon (and it's a pretty red color IIRC..)

It's an easy job (on an R1200R) to do in the garage, much less so on the road. So while it may not be a nuke-sub, if you take care of your bike, it will take care of you.

I'm not sure when the 582mm belt came about, or why the PN indicates a 592mm belt..

Afternoon Don

I believe the 592 was used on the R1200R with the 40 amp alternator & I think 582 is now speck'd for the R1200RT with the 55amp freewheeling alternator.

I haven't really kept up with the belt versions as I still use the slightly longer original belts as they are easier on the alternator bearings.

BMW shortened the belts due to customer complaints of a short-term squeal upon first start-up after sitting out in the rain all night or after washing the bike.

Personally the short squeal on first start-up on a very wet belt doesn't bother me so I trade the short squeal at wet-belt startup for longer belt life & less stress on the alternator bearings.

Don_Eilenberger

DR - could be - but it came with the 611mm belt.

Probably not a bad idea to use the longer (611mm) belt though, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

The only place it might be a concern if you have two 100W driving lights bolted on somewhere. In that case - the draw from the lights might be enough to cause the belt to slip as it gets older.

• 3 weeks later...
So, If I understand correctly. The interval for the replacement of the alternator belt went from 60,000km to 40,000km for my 07?

Morning Dann

The only way to know for sure is to have a BMW dealer input your VIN into their computer & bring up the (updated) recommended service sheet for your particular motorcycle.

Or, if you want to guess at it then use the 60K if you still have the original (slightly longer) belt & use the 40K if you have the replacement shorter belt. (remember time could be a factor also)

Or, if you don't want to worry about it then just change the belt at 40K & be done with it.

Another way to look at it is: if you ride 30,000km per year then 2 years & 60,000km would not be a big deal (probably go even further). On the other hand if you ride 10,000km per year then 6 years would be 60,000km & that is a lot of years on a rubberized belt.

I just replaced a belt on an early 2008RT with only 21,000 miles on it for a friend that is leaving on a trip soon. The belt looked like new when installed on the engine but he wanted it replaced before the trip. When I removed the belt & twisted it inside out & bent it back a little it was just covered in small hairline cracks across the ribs.

So, If I understand correctly. The interval for the replacement of the alternator belt went from 60,000km to 40,000km for my 07?

Morning Dann

The only way to know for sure is to have a BMW dealer input your VIN into their computer & bring up the (updated) recommended service sheet for your particular motorcycle.

Or, if you want to guess at it then use the 60K if you still have the original (slightly longer) belt & use the 40K if you have the replacement shorter belt. (remember time could be a factor also)

Or, if you don't want to worry about it then just change the belt at 40K & be done with it.

Another way to look at it is: if you ride 30,000km per year then 2 years & 60,000km would not be a big deal (probably go even further). On the other hand if you ride 10,000km per year then 6 years would be 60,000km & that is a lot of years on a rubberized belt.

I just replaced a belt on an early 2008RT with only 21,000 miles on it for a friend that is leaving on a trip soon. The belt looked like new when installed on the engine but he wanted it replaced before the trip. When I removed the belt & twisted it inside out & bent it back a little it was just covered in small hairline cracks across the ribs.

I'm kind in the middle of your example. I ride about 20-22,000Km per year.

I went digging in the service record of the previous owner and I found a service sheet from the dealer that mentions a 40,000km interval.

This answers my question.

• 2 months later...

My 08RT has about 52,000 KMS on it, original belt, I'll be changing it soon, I was hoping to change it after the next riding season. Good advice to have the dealer enter the VIN to find out the interval. - Thanks

• 2 months later...

Glad I saw this thread. I've got an 06 RT with 21,000 miles on it. I ordered a belt from Boneyard, not realizing there are different sizes. The new one is a 592. Makes me wonder. I'm near the replacement mileage, and it's 11 years old, I bet it's getting tired. I'm going to take a peak at it before the 3k trip next week. But now I'm worried about putting on this 592 if there is a 611 coming off.....

Took a peek at mine, (06 R 1200RT) It's got a 582 on it, looked ok, didn't want to put the 592 on it that I bought until I think about it a bit more. What a mess.

Took a peek at mine, (06 R 1200RT) It's got a 582 on it, looked ok, didn't want to put the 592 on it that I bought until I think about it a bit more. What a mess.

Morning Ed

As far as I can tell they ALL look OK from the outside unless there are threads sticking out of the sides.

I have put a couple of belts on the 1200 bikes that looked like new from the outside but were full of hairline cracks across the ribs when removed & turned inside out then flexed back on themselves.

On the upside, the only 1200 belts that I have seen actually fail on the 1200 bikes were split the full length (like someone took a knife & split the belt into two narrower belts). Both belts that I found like this were previously installed by the rider (different bikes/different riders) & they had problems installing them (so my educated guess would be that they caused the damage when installing by not getting them all the way on the pulleys correctly the first try)

• 2 weeks later...

DR,

So just to be clear.. I'd be better off using the 611 mm belt? (4PK611).

I don't mind the wet squeal either, if it means less stress on the alternator bearings and makes the belt easier to replace.

I found this helpful..... (2006 r1200RT)

Continental Contitech specifically designed the Contitech Elastic technology for use on the non-tensioned BMW alternators. Use of any other manufacturers belt will not ensure proper tension over prolonged periods.

Use of other brand belts can lead to

Premature alternator bearing failure due to too tight of a belt tension.

Belt slippage due to too loose of a belt tension.

Temperature-stable from -30 to 80 °C

Tropicalized - withstands high heat extremes

Extremely long service life

Conditionally oil-resistant

No retensioning necessary

The Continental Contitech elastic ribbed belts are self-tensioning which cuts drive costs considerably.

NOTE: There can be confusion regarding the new Continental Contitech Belt PART #’s which were modified (2nd QTR , 2012). There are now 2 Continental Belt Part #’s ending with 611

4PK611 Length = 611 mm

4PK611ELAST Length = 592 mm

Prior to ordering, We recommend you look at your old belt to identify the BMW # .

You should be able to confirm the correct millimeter (mm) belt length if the BMW part # or the Continental Reference # is still visible on the old belt . Please refer to the pictures for details of how to identify the millimeter (mm) length of the belt.

Our part #’s end with the last 3 digits of the BMW Part #.\

Additionally, you may refer to our EXTENDED INFO tab for specific Model and Year application.

Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK611

Length: 611mm

Application: BMW R Oilhead 4 valve

Make/Model: BMW : R850, R1100, R1150, R1200C

Model Years: 1992-2002

Manufacturer #: 12 31 1 341 779

EME Part # Belt-4PK611779

Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK611ELAST

Length: 592 mm

Application: BMW R Oilhead 4-valve, Hexhead

Make/Model: BMW : R850, R1100, R1150, R1200

Model Years: 1996-2010

Manufacturer #: 12 31 7 681 841

EME Part# Belt-4PK592841

This belt ***Continental / Contitech Part #: 4PK592ELAST ****

Length: 582mm

Application: BMW R Series Hexhead

Make/Model: BMW : R900, R1200

Model Years: 2005-2011

Manufacturer #: 12 31 7 690 571 Superseded by (12 31 8 528 385)

EME Part# Belt-4PK582571

....so the last one is correct for mine... 582 mm long but called a 4PK592ELAST.... God give me strength. No wonder some cannot get them to fit and some complain of screeching when wet!