IGNORED

One Hit Wonders and Deep Tracks > play list

Indy Dave

As thoughts turn to preparations for the riding season - somewhere on your prep list is probably music. Been lots a great threads on this, I wanted to focus one on often overlooked songs that may be known as 'One Hit Wonders' - you might know them when you hear them, but they might be obscure otherwise. I would contend that an excellent playlist could be composed of these. As long as we're on the subject - I'd also be interested in 'deep tracks' that are must haves for you list. Please make a distinction when posting 'deep tracks', as they may be more 'selective' audience wise.

I'll start with Donnie Iris - Ah Leah

And a deep track REM -Oddfellows 151

Edited by workin' them angels

You could ride all week on one hit wonders.

Wikipedia has several lists, and links to others.

I didn't see

anywhere though. Remember that one? HA HA!

Oh, and then there's

. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Music is a world within itself

With a language we all understand

With an equal opportunity

For all to sing, dance and clap their hands

But just because a record has a groove

Don't make it in the groove

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke

No doubt there are lists one could google up, not to mention previous threads here on music in general.

I was hoping to get some insight into what riders felt were 'must haves' with a bit of a obscure twist - tunes that otherwise might not be in heavy rotation - be they kind of one hit wonders or deep tracks. In other words, great songs that might not be on others radar for whatever reason.

I was hoping to: 1) find out what you're listening to that the rest of us are missing

And

See where tastes intersect.

I tend to lean ( :spittake: ) towards rock, but certainly not exclusively. Here's 3 more tracks that rate highly for me, 2 deep and one hit that's been lost:

Listed Slow to fast.

A much mellower song - but this has no problem getting me down the road. This song offers a lot. Subtle and powerful.

Lyle Lovett - North Dakota (with Rickie Lee Jones)

Another deep track - Kasey Chambers - Runaway Train. A bit infectious - the tune seems to encourage the RT to runaway :burnout: .

A popular song that got lost. Dada's songs are well represented in my touring rotation.

Dada - Dizz Knee Land

Dave and Everyone Else:

Here is one of my favorites that is in every riding rotation I have. I tend to get a little throttle heavy when it comes on:

These always seem to "appear" in my playlists as well:

Lastly:

I could on for pages...I will spare you all the agony.

Edited by Medic Mike
Another deep track - Kasey Chambers - Runaway Train. A bit infectious - the tune seems to encourage the RT to runaway :burnout: .

I think the copy/paste sequence got out of sync here, it also links to the Lyle Lovett song. Try this:

I think the copy/paste sequence got out of sync here, it also links to the Lyle Lovett song. Try this:

Larry - I appreciate the assist, unfortunately your link points to the wrong song as well. :dopeslap:

The new and re-improved TESTED link:

+1 for Oddfellows 151

Most of my riding playlists are exceedingly eclectic, from bluegrass to 80's synth pop, with most of my go-to sources from growing up in the 70s and 80s but here goes:

by Moby is neither a deep track nor one-hit wonder, but you have to dig a bit to get the "real" version recorded with Gwen Stefani. Apparently there were technical issues and her vocals were omitted from the official release (album), but together they make a hell of a duet!

- The Stone Roses (OHW, unless you're into 80's Manchester alternative)

- Classic IV (OHW)

- New Order (this is the official video, I prefer the "deep track" 8 min 12" single version)

- Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia

And finally, if you're like me and don't listen to any country music produced in the last 20+ years, make an exception for Brad Paisley. Lots of great riding tunes on the album Fifth Gear, including

, and especially
I still chuckle every time it reaches the chorus!
Larry - I appreciate the assist, unfortunately your link points to the wrong song as well. :dopeslap:

:facepalm:

Sheesh, that's what happens when you don't READ the search results. Had the right artist, a least.

And a train.

Edited by lkraus
One hit wonder, although they did have a few other minor hits...

Head East - Never Been any Reason

Flashback. So it's 1985 and there I am - a USAF newbie finally earning some time off from the training base in San Antonio. We all head to a decent sized club downtown that has a band jamming away up on an easily accessible stage. On comes "Never Been Any Reason" and I lean over to a buddy and say (or scream - it was loud)

"Wow, these guys sound like the real band that does this song!"

Buddy with deadpanned and disappointed look "They ARE the band that does this song."

Head East cost me a damned beer. Worth it. Great tune.

Jake is actually one of the inspirations for this thread!

Flashback: It was my first FART (Mrs WTA strongly disagrees with this statement) and Jake reached out and offered to meet me in TN. He graciously shared some of his favorite roads with me on the way to Asheville. Apparently a glutton for punishment (or maybe out of concern for his friends), Jake cast off his normal riding buddies and let me trail along with him the next day too. I was lacking GPS and Jake probably surmised I'd still be out there somewhere looking for a right turn if I were left to my own devices.

So as we climbed up a near vertical, goat path like crumbing asphalt narrow sidewalk – with switchbacks and dense tall timbers only separated by our path – I began to wonder if those were banjos playing the background. Jake expertly navigated the obstacles and all of the sudden we crested out of the thick forest and were stunned by one of the most rolling scenic valleys you can imagine!

When we broke for lunch the 'awkward silence' came as we waited for our meal. I'm used to this. What happens is, this is the silence that comes when others realize they are in the company of a wafer-thin man with God like looks. Jake had been so busy leading the ride he'd been distracted till then. Wanting to avoid the usual groveling and “I'm not worthy”, etc I asked about music. The next thing I knew, an hour had passed as we discovered a shared passion and got to know each other.

I haven't missed a FART/START since.

A week or two later, Jake posted a video he'd put together. Most of us wished it was longer (especially the parts that featured Yours Truly). He also introduced us to this gem of a song:

And Jake's Video:

A hackneyed phrase but appropriate none-the-less

Music makes the world go round

One that has always, for 50 years, been important to me

Brian Wilson ... I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

Two completely different styles of the same song. Funny how the artist that created it isn't really all that famous for it, AFAIK. :read:

VS

Pat

Joni's voice is beautiful, but I think the more lively, upbeat CSN version is a better riding song. So I have both versions.

Edited by lkraus

I think the majority of what I have on my list would be considered deep,....at least by me. Anyway, mostly what I have on my list has never been on American radio and only discovered by me by searching various genre's. I do have a good chunk of music by people and bands that others have heard of, but mostly what I listen to on the road is stuff that can take me "into" the ride and if I mention the band name,...I get the :dontknow:.

Just imagine riding down a winding wooded road with ups and downs listening to

. York, Tiesto, E.S. Posthumas, Blank and Jones, Hybrid, much of this is the soundtrack of good riding.
roadscholar
867-5309

Now would that be Jenny's, or Jody's number? ;):grin:

:thumbsup:

Pat

Uh not Jody's : ) I was just honing in on the One Hit Wonder thing which Tommy Tutone was known for. Our next door neighbor in N.C. was friends with him and they'd come play at his parties. Of course I was never there on the right weekend.

Jake nice video, somehow I missed it before, good stuff!

Aww shucks. That was mostly your route as I am sure you know. Gotta get back there for some of those restaurant recommendations.

My one hit wonder pick is from a band called Rush. The song is called "Tom Sawyer". I think these guys are from Canada, eh. Why a bunch of Canucks are singing about an iconic American figure I just don't know. Haven't heard much from them since.

The band Rush had MANY hits in the past (remember 'Working Man'?) and are revered in Canada on a same footing with the game of hockey. I have had good Canadian friends for over 25 years. In general they have been very supportive of the USA and are very interested in what goes on here. :thumbsup:

This one's kinda out there, but puts a smile on my face every time I hear it. It's a blue grass version of a Snoop Dogg song (told you it was out there).

The band Rush had MANY hits in the past (remember 'Working Man'?) and are revered in Canada on a same footing with the game of hockey. I have had good Canadian friends for over 25 years. In general they have been very supportive of the USA and are very interested in what goes on here. :thumbsup:

Yup. Rush has had a dedicated following around the world for decades, and were inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame a couple of years ago. And of interest to BMW riders, drummer (and lyricist) Neil Peart rides a GS, and has written a umber of books that feature his riding very prominently. One book is all about the riding he does between concert dates (while his two band mates fly in a private jet). He and his security guy hop on a tour bus after the gigs, and their GSs are in a trailer behind the bus. The driver drops them off at some pre-determined spot the next morning, and they make their way to the next stop on the tour on their bikes (the bikes are actually both owned by Neil, and the trailer also hauls a third backup GS, just in case).

Edited by marcopolo
roadscholar

Aww shucks. That was mostly your route as I am sure you know. Gotta get back there for some of those restaurant recommendations.

Yeah I recognized some of those orange groves : ) Hey I was in Lake Placid day before yesterday what a great little town, hadn't been thru it before. :thumbsup: I've been extending my dirt route from E.Tenn into N. Fla on down to Everglades City. From Avon Park south it's 'mostly' paved (what isn't is hardpack) but from there north you'd want a GS or KLR. Back to tunes..

My one hit wonder pick is from a band called Rush. The song is called "Tom Sawyer". I think these guys are from Canada, eh. Why a bunch of Canucks are singing about an iconic American figure I just don't know. Haven't heard much from them since.

Ya can't be serious!?!?!?!, Tom Sawyer wasn't even their highest charting song.

C'mon, Subdivisions, New World Man, A Farewell to Kings, 2112, Distant Early Warning, Free Will, Closer to the Heart,.....the list goes on and on and on and on, Rush has an awesome catalog.

Ya can't be serious!?!?!?!,

I'm sorry, I can't let this continue, Dave was supposed to bail me outta this. You channeled John McEnroe with that one, so I must fess up with apologies.

Jake's Bike - May 2014

20140517_143650-M.jpg

Neil Peart's Bike - June 2015

TW_cabin.jpg

The guy won't stop following me.

Big Fan.

Neil Peart's Bike - June 2015

TW_cabin.jpg

My in-laws are from Canada and use his shampoo.

Hey Jake, I remember a band like that from 1967.

They only did one album, no singles were released from the LP and they never performed the songs live.

Have you ever heard of these fellas, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

They only did one album, no singles were released from the LP and they never performed the songs live.

Ya, but those guys really do suck :)

Ya, but those guys really do suck :)

Obviously you are not a supporter of the small vintage indie bands!

A little housekeeping.

While I haven't missed a START/FART since the Jake encounter - he hasn't been back since! Hmmm. . . :stir:

I'm a fan of music, and a bigger fan of Rush (and many others). Nice to see some others come out of the woodwork to support the Holy Trinity. :beer:

Workin' Them Angels is a song about Neil (as mentioned who rides a GS and writes all the lyrics) and I found the theme of the song to more or less self apply.

All this time

I've been workin' them angels overtime

Riding and driving and flying

Just over the edge

Workin' them angels - Overtime

Workin' Them Angels lyrics

If nothing else - think a case can certainly be made that the title relates nicely to the decision we've all made to ride.

But I digress. . .

I have listened to every song posted, and in many cases other songs by groups that were new to me. Good stuff - Thank you! I'll comment a bit later about whats been posted so far. Please keep them coming!

Jake - We were out yesterday seeing the Gold Dust Woman (Stevie Nicks). Saying that - you got what you deserved! :rofl::whistle:

And that was a bit of a joke about the shampoo - Neil Peart had played drums on Dave Letterman's show and Dave did a joke about the shampoo.

Neil%20Peart%20Plus.jpg

Well OK then...

Jake has me thinking that there may be something about that noise that comes from our neighbors to the north.

I give you, Chillawack - My Girl.

And because the Un has me thinking about the South...

Georgia Satellites - Keep your hands to yourself

Dave and Everyone Else:

Here is one of my favorites that is in every riding rotation I have. I tend to get a little throttle heavy when it comes on:

These always seem to "appear" in my playlists as well:

Lastly:

I could on for pages...I will spare you all the agony.

Mike - Thanks for sharing! These are all new to me. I'd not heard of Brandi Carlile, and I've enjoyed those songs and learning about her career. I must have missed her when she was on APHC.

I've heard of Old Crow Medicine Show - but hand't heard them before.

Dan Auerbach and Fleet Foxes were also new to me - I enjoyed them both. I look forward to exploring all of these further.

A bit along the same lines, I offer this song - which is on several of my bike mixes. Excellent guitar throughout.

Hank R1200RT

I don't listen to music on the bike, have only used my sound system for AM radio traffic reports, so not the best person to be a critic. However...why no motorcycle songs? Leader Of the Pack? Little Honda? 1952 Vincent? Arlo's Motorcycle Song?

Probably many others...or did you all decide you just wanted a pickle?

Here ya go, Hank.

Nicolette Larson does some great accompanying vocals on this song and album.

I don't listen to music on the bike, have only used my sound system for AM radio traffic reports, so not the best person to be a critic. However...why no motorcycle songs? Leader Of the Pack? Little Honda? 1952 Vincent? Arlo's Motorcycle Song?

Here you go,....every song by this group is a motorcycle song,.....because the name of the group is

. Might not be everyone's taste but it is a great tune.

Just trying to stay with the one-hit-wonder or "deep" track criteria, though the discussion has wandered off a bit.

roadscholar

As long as we're in the 60's..

And a little travelin music.

Edited by roadscholar

My music tastes run similar to Richard (Living The Dream), 97% of my Amazon/Pandora selections are almost never heard on mainstream radio. That makes it difficult to quantify a One Hit Wonder. My apologies for breaking from the main gist of this thread.

Dave:

That is one of the fun things about places like this. To share and swap those little things that make our rides more fun and enjoyable (beyond seats, comm systems etc).

Mike

My all-time favorite motorcycle riding song is Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson. Technically I think he is a one-hit wonder, even though he is one of the best guitarists ever.

• 2 weeks later...