IGNORED

Nothing from ignition switch....

chrismckay

2012 R1200RT

Symptoms as follows,

Motorcycle stopped for fuel after 2 hours riding.....would not start, no connection from electronic ignition to starter, after cycling the switches and keys a few times it started.

Motorcycle stopped at traffic lights.....switched engine off and would not start, again nothing from the starter button.....after 30 minutes of random starterswitch/sidestand/ functioning it started.

Motorcycle stopped for lunch break.....same symptoms as above, would not start at all.....called BMW recovery.

Would it be possible to be a problem with the starter/kill switch or side stand switch?

The greater Knowledge of the board members is welcomed...

Chris...

I assume that the 12RT is similar to my 041100S, in the power comes from the battery to the ignition switch then to the engine stop switch then to the starter button then the starter relay. The to pull in the starter relay the ground side has to go through the side stand switch, clutch lever switch, and neutral switch then to the other side of the starter relay for it to pull in when the starter button is pushed. So, all these need to be checked to be sure they are working properly. You will need a VOM to check power through the circuit on one side and continuity on the ground side. It could be one of the switches or the starter relay. Remember this based on my specific bike and yours may differ. Do you have a wiring diagram? This will be necessary.

I assume that the 12RT is similar to my 041100S, in the power comes from the battery to the ignition switch then to the engine stop switch then to the starter button then the starter relay. The to pull in the starter relay the ground side has to go through the side stand switch, clutch lever switch, and neutral switch then to the other side of the starter relay for it to pull in when the starter button is pushed. So, all these need to be checked to be sure they are working properly. You will need a VOM to check power through the circuit on one side and continuity on the ground side. It could be one of the switches or the starter relay. Remember this based on my specific bike and yours may differ. Do you have a wiring diagram? This will be necessary.

Morning 041100S

That is a bad assumption. On the camhead 1200RT the starting is computer controlled so the side stand switch, engine stop switch, clutch switch etc ALL report directly to the Bike's computers through discreet circuits (no starting power passes though any of those switches (they just tell the computer that it's OK to either inhibit starting or allow starting).

2012 R1200RT

Symptoms as follows,

Motorcycle stopped for fuel after 2 hours riding.....would not start, no connection from electronic ignition to starter, after cycling the switches and keys a few times it started.

Motorcycle stopped at traffic lights.....switched engine off and would not start, again nothing from the starter button.....after 30 minutes of random starterswitch/sidestand/ functioning it started.

Motorcycle stopped for lunch break.....same symptoms as above, would not start at all.....called BMW recovery.

Would it be possible to be a problem with the starter/kill switch or side stand switch?

Morning Chris

To be of much assistance to you on tracking your starting problem down we need A LOT more info from you as we need you to tell us if the electronic dash booted & lit up even though it didn't start.

We also need to know if any dash warning lights were on.

Battery voltage before & at starting attempt would also be a BIG help to us in helping you track this thing down.

It might be as simple as failed start button switch or as complicated as side stand switch checksum issue.

If you don't find anything & resume riding that bike again (IF) the no-start problem returns then you might try dumping a very cold bottle of clean drinking water on the start button & engine stop switch of the handlebar multifunction switch (I have seen this allow starting on the newer 1200 switches a couple of times now)-- BMW has replaced a LOT of those handlebar switches under warranty)

2012 R1200RT

Symptoms as follows,

Morning Chris

To be of much assistance to you on tracking your starting problem down we need A LOT more info from you as we need you to tell us if the electronic dash booted & lit up even though it didn't start.

We also need to know if any dash warning lights were on.

Battery voltage before & at starting attempt would also be a BIG help to us in helping you track this thing down.

It might be as simple as failed start button switch or as complicated as side stand switch checksum issue.

If you don't find anything & resume riding that bike again (IF) the no-start problem returns then you might try dumping a very cold bottle of clean drinking water on the start button & engine stop switch of the handlebar multifunction switch (I have seen this allow starting on the newer 1200 switches a couple of times now)-- BMW has replaced a LOT of those handlebar switches under warranty)

Thanks for the reply Dirt Rider,

The dash booted up as normal without any hazard lights.

Not sure of battery voltage but there was plenty of power or so it seemed, i remember lowering the screen when it was on the recovery vehicle and the dash was bright and lights came on etc.

Bike is at the dealership just now, they hadnt time to look today but hopefully tomorrow, even though, i am curious to what the problem may be.

Chris...

Okay fine, just trying to help the guy troubleshoot, said I ASSUME.

Hello 041100S, also thanks for your suggestion, thats the beauty of internet forums....people with different ideas trying to help.. :grin:

Dirt Rider wasnt being rude, of that i am positive, sometimes the typed language is interpreted differently to how it was intended!!!

Hi Chris, i have a 2011RT and it gave me the same symptoms as yours. My problem was sorted out by replacing the right handle bar switch cluster. My problem was the engine cut switch on cluster malfunctions as soon as it gets hot (sun)and then the only way to start the bike was to cool the cluster with a damp cloth. Ths is a big BMW 1200 RT problem all over the world.

Hi Chris, i have a 2011RT and it gave me the same symptoms as yours. My problem was sorted out by replacing the right handle bar switch cluster. My problem was the engine cut switch on cluster malfunctions as soon as it gets hot (sun)and then the only way to start the bike was to cool the cluster with a damp cloth. Ths is a big BMW 1200 RT problem all over the world.

Hopefully that will be the same problem that is up with mine, out of curiosity, wil the dealership diagnostic tool point them towards this even if the problem is intermittent?

Thanks for the reply Dirt Rider,

The dash booted up as normal without any hazard lights.

Not sure of battery voltage but there was plenty of power or so it seemed, i remember lowering the screen when it was on the recovery vehicle and the dash was bright and lights came on etc.

Bike is at the dealership just now, they hadnt time to look today but hopefully tomorrow, even though, i am curious to what the problem may be.

Afternoon Chris

Hopefully the dealer will find the root of the issue for you.

If it turns out to be the R/H multifunction switch pod then the new (updated) one should hold up better as supposedly they have changed the design (old design had that very poor copper printed on plastic designed to fail affair)

Boy, I would love to pipe up with my usual "it's the battery!" suggestion but I've been trying to expand my symptom diagnosis.

So: it's the government ! Line your helmet and windscreen with alu foil !

Dealership called today.....faulty starter motor, happy enough with that, should have the bike back tomorrow...

thanks all...

Chris

Edited by chrismckay