BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#983265 - 03/28/17 12:25 PM Re: MC lifts for pickup beds [Re: Living the Dream]  
realshelby Offline
realshelby  Offline

Houston, Tx
Never seen a Jeep or any car in a Toyhauler! Fits well, but my concern would be weight. These things often run on the edge of maximum tire load ratings, as well as axle ratings.

I have had two RV's that you could put a motorcycle in. One was a bumper pull that you loaded from the side and the bike sit sideways in front of the couch ( RT fit just fine there! ), and a fifth wheel that had a rear entry door not quite as wide as the standard toy hauler. This was for a golf cart or bike and the area that you stored in was a nice room with desk, tv, etc. Should have kept that rig, it really was the best compromise of all. The problem with most Toy Haulers is that you simply give up too much room in the living area. I like a really nice area for watching tv and preparing meals. Most toy haulers have a very industrial area for toy storage. While you can have beds and couches, it is a compromise I am not willing to make.

#983284 - 03/28/17 02:33 PM Re: MC lifts for pickup beds [Re: mikeR1100R]  
mickeym3 Offline
mickeym3  Offline

Savannah, GA and Port Ludlow, ...
Richard, there are exceptions to about everything...glad you had good success with yours. If you'd like a wider view of how others have done there are RV forums that provide that. I went a little different route in 2001 when I bought a "conventional" enclosed car trailer with small living quarters, had big torsion axles and served me well for many years. Probably not the best deal for creature comforts or having kids along though. In today's market ATC makes a great all aluminum trailer that's roughly comparable to what I had but plusher and just as much max weight rating.

Jim Carter
2013 WR250R
#983304 - 03/28/17 05:10 PM Re: MC lifts for pickup beds [Re: mikeR1100R]  
tallman Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist
tallman  Offline
Picture Perfect Humorist

Tallahassee, Florida
Sage Rider, not around these days, used thhis one.
link

If my mind wanders, should I follow it?
Tim
Conch Town Krewe
2003 K 1200 GT
1996 R 100 RSL
1980 R 100 RT
1972 R 75
1968 R 50
All now gone...

#983336 - 03/28/17 07:47 PM Re: MC lifts for pickup beds [Re: realshelby]  
Living the Dream Offline
Living the Dream  Offline

Walnut Cove, North Carolina
Originally Posted By: realshelby
Never seen a Jeep or any car in a Toyhauler! Fits well, but my concern would be weight. These things often run on the edge of maximum tire load ratings, as well as axle ratings.

I have had two RV's that you could put a motorcycle in. One was a bumper pull that you loaded from the side and the bike sit sideways in front of the couch ( RT fit just fine there! ), and a fifth wheel that had a rear entry door not quite as wide as the standard toy hauler. This was for a golf cart or bike and the area that you stored in was a nice room with desk, tv, etc. Should have kept that rig, it really was the best compromise of all. The problem with most Toy Haulers is that you simply give up too much room in the living area. I like a really nice area for watching tv and preparing meals. Most toy haulers have a very industrial area for toy storage. While you can have beds and couches, it is a compromise I am not willing to make.

That trailer was rated with a NCC of 5k lbs. I actually contacted Coachman to see if it could haul my Jeep and I weighed the Jeep prior to purchasing.

I had to draw up the dimensions in my driveway and use a level to see if the Jeep would fit the "garage area". It was tight, but she did fit.

My ideal trailer at the time would have been the 5th Thor Wanderer Wagon I believe that one had 16ft of vehicle space and a nice layout once you moved the vehicle out. The nearest one was too far to test the fitting so I settled on the bumper pull Catalina.

If I remember right, the Catalina had a total weight of 12500,...pretty hefty and I think the trailer dry weight was around 6600.

Richard
Laborare pugnare paratus sum
2014 HP4
2010 Shadow RS
2006 R1200rt
PRC-E7
#983395 - 03/29/17 09:36 AM Re: MC lifts for pickup beds [Re: tallman]  
Bud Online
95% of an RT
Bud  Online
95% of an RT

Southern Illinois
Originally Posted By: tallman
Sage Rider, not around these days, used thhis one.
link

I miss his posts. Hope all is well with him.

95% of an RT.

I haven't had too many Beemers, I just don't have enough time.
Page 2 of 2 1 2