IGNORED

Tour of USA

Had in mind, and this year will try to make it come true:

A tour of the USA! Invited an old friend from Germany ,

and together will begin our journey in June of this year.

Only have 4 weeks, and that may play a role in if or not

will be able to complete the planed tour.As well as our old

bones,(58) weather and the way the bikes perform.

Since my friend wants to see New York, will spend 2 days

there. Park at a secure motel outside the city, and use the subway

to see the city. If anybody can suggest an area, a motel that can

be safe, yet close enough to use public transportation, would be

greatly appreciated! From N.Y. Would like to ride down along the

coast maybe up to Jacksonville. From there along the southern

boarder up to Vegas.Zion national park would be nice to see as well.

San Francisco up along the coast up to Seattle. Maybe Vancouver,

but I don't think will have the time. And from there, along the northern

boarder, back home! I believe this last stretch will be the hardest!

Theoretically, is possible. I have never been in any of this areas. If anyone

can suggest points of interest along the way, would be glad to hear it.

Any better ideas are welcome!

Brief, more later.

Many places "along the coast" aren't very scenic as far as roads "along the coast" where you actually see water.

I live in Fla and don't want to di$courage tourists, but a ride through the Smokies is more rewarding, IMO.

Is there a goal/purpose wrt Jax?

There are water places there etc.

There are options if it is just "water" you want to see/enjoy/eat seafood etc.

If not, a route down the Appalachians/Ozarks, then??

Heading to the Colorado/Utah/Sierra's/Million Dollar? etc over to the PNW would keep it "cooler" and have some of the bestest roads

Am open for suggestions, Tim!

Along the coast usually is a better scenery. Am sure there is a better alternative, if you know the area. I don't, there fore that is all i could think of.

And by all means, seafood is totally off my table :P But the West coast i hear is nice. And as my friend from Europe wants to see New York, i want to

see San Francisco! Which way we take to get from one to the other, is the big dilemma.Considering that we ride, not drive, highways are not desired.

Will do if have to, or rain and want to save some time.

I sure thought i would get more help here, but i guess the question is of a way to wide area.

Any help, for remote areas would be just fine!If anyone would like information including area

i am familiar with, am more than glad to offer a suggestion for that area.

I guess i asked for to much!

As Tim (tallman) suggested, rather than a ride along the east coast down to Jacksonville,a ride

along the Appalachians/Ozarks should do.

It is a great suggestion, and is all am asking for!

Hi, I am from the UK and will be riding from Houston to Alaska in July this year. I too was interested in route suggestions and found a great deal of "motorcycle routes" on t'interweb. Bike routes that I favour are generally full of curves and epic, usually mountainous, sometimes coastal scenery and preferably warm and dry!

I have done some limited riding in Texas and the mainly straight roads are not particularly interesting from a riding perspective. I am told the heat in the southern states is oppressive in the height of the summer and have been advised to head for higher elevations and away from the humidity.

So, I am planning to head for the mountainous areas north west of Texas towards Albuquerque, continue on to Lake Tahoe and then north following the mountain ranges to BC etc.

I would avoid Las Vegas. Death Valley is a great drive with air con but not sure if it would be fun on a bike due to the heat!

Loads of National Parks up that way with glorious scenery. I will set my sat nav to the "avoid motorways" option and make it up as I go along! Obviously the west coast could be epic as well!

I hope you have a great trip and maybe a shorter route may be advisable if you are limited to 4 weeks? Maybe not going too far south? My trip will be about 10,000 miles and I have 6 or 7 weeks and that will involve 230 miles, or so, each and every day. Hopefully some days will be double that mileage allowing "days off". I shall take my time and "about face" if it looks like I shall be running out of time. Alaska is the "target" but it will not bother me if I do not end up getting that far north.

Enjoy the ride.

John

What bikes will you be riding and how much tent camping are you looking to do? If I only had a month after NY I'd hit D.C. for the Smithsonian, Lincoln and the war memorials. No matter your nationality the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown is something you'll never forget. After D.C. I'd pick up Skyline Dr and follow it and the BlueRidge their entire lengths (using I-81 if you need to make time). From the Knoxville area I'd slab straight to Colorado for some of the best riding to be had (the Million Dollar being high on my list) If you don't want to slight the south follow the Natches Trace down from W. TN and then make haste for CO. If you want more southern exposure the Barber Museum outside Birmingham is great. From Durango prepare yourself for some real hot riding to the North Rim, then skip over to Zion and then slab to SLC and Reno, dropping into the Bay area. I'd hit the coast north of Santa Rosa and deviate from it as necessary to make up time all the way up to Tillamook (catch the Air Museum in McMinnville if you have time) then slab north to Olympia and catch 101 again and run up to Port Townsend (you can ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria if you'd like) for the ferry up to Whitbey and pick up the North Cascades (Hwy 20), make your way on Hwy 2 all the way over to Glacier and enter Canada at Roosville for a run up to Banff and of course the Icefields Parkway. Lots of options going back east, I like Hwy 2 on the US side but that's just me. Sorry for a brief and cryptic suggestion but fat fingering on my iPhone.

Hi, I am from the UK and will be riding from Houston to Alaska in July this year. I too was interested in route suggestions and found a great deal of "motorcycle routes" on t'interweb. Bike routes that I favour are generally full of curves and epic, usually mountainous, sometimes coastal scenery and preferably warm and dry!

I have done some limited riding in Texas and the mainly straight roads are not particularly interesting from a riding perspective. I am told the heat in the southern states is oppressive in the height of the summer and have been advised to head for higher elevations and away from the humidity.

So, I am planning to head for the mountainous areas north west of Texas towards Albuquerque, continue on to Lake Tahoe and then north following the mountain ranges to BC etc.

I would avoid Las Vegas. Death Valley is a great drive with air con but not sure if it would be fun on a bike due to the heat!

Loads of National Parks up that way with glorious scenery. I will set my sat nav to the "avoid motorways" option and make it up as I go along! Obviously the west coast could be epic as well!

I hope you have a great trip and maybe a shorter route may be advisable if you are limited to 4 weeks? Maybe not going too far south? My trip will be about 10,000 miles and I have 6 or 7 weeks and that will involve 230 miles, or so, each and every day. Hopefully some days will be double that mileage allowing "days off". I shall take my time and "about face" if it looks like I shall be running out of time. Alaska is the "target" but it will not bother me if I do not end up getting that far north.

Enjoy the ride.

John

Thanks, John for your suggestions. I agree with all you say. We are going to be early June down South. May not go as far down South as expected,

may just take the mountains, as you mention. Just like you, i hate the strait highways and love to ride in the mountains. I also hate big cities, but

my friend wants to see NY, so will go there.Is like for us here, going to Europe and not visiting Paris , or pardon me, London! From NY will just ride

as far South as the weather and time permits. And am considering any advice from riders that have been in the area.

I sure wish your trip to be great! I never thought of riding up to Alaska!I would rather ride down South America! How many in your group?

Funny what you say about going to Europe and not seeing Paris. I'm ashamed to say that I've been to Europe at least 10 times and visited France at least 8 times but have never stopped in Paris. I did ride thru the city in the rain a few years ago on my way to Belgium. Oh well, maybe next time.

Edited by Marty Hill

Marty, do it next time for sure. Notre Dame alone is worth the congestion. Many years ago we were wandering in the Louvre and rounded a corner to find myself just a few feet from Michelangelo's David....unbelievable experience. I'm still waiting for my CFO's approval to take European Delivery on my dream BMW. If it happens Paris and London are both on the list. My more recent work trips to Europe didn't permit much time except for one day in Paris and one day in Windsor, enjoyed them immensely. But New Zealand is the next big one and I'll be calling you when I get closer for pointers. This summer the Motorhome pulls out day after Easter for the Pacific Northwest again. Won't make it there till June, maybe it'll be dried out by then.

Guess my post didn't resonate with the OP, wherever they head this country offers treats around every corner and just beyond every horizon.

Jim, I spent a month riding in NZ. It was truly wonderful. We have members there for pointing you toward the good stuff. :thumbsup:

What bikes will you be riding and how much tent camping are you looking to do? If I only had a month after NY I'd hit D.C. for the Smithsonian, Lincoln and the war memorials. No matter your nationality the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown is something you'll never forget. After D.C. I'd pick up Skyline Dr and follow it and the BlueRidge their entire lengths (using I-81 if you need to make time). From the Knoxville area I'd slab straight to Colorado for some of the best riding to be had (the Million Dollar being high on my list) If you don't want to slight the south follow the Natches Trace down from W. TN and then make haste for CO. If you want more southern exposure the Barber Museum outside Birmingham is great. From Durango prepare yourself for some real hot riding to the North Rim, then skip over to Zion and then slab to SLC and Reno, dropping into the Bay area. I'd hit the coast north of Santa Rosa and deviate from it as necessary to make up time all the way up to Tillamook (catch the Air Museum in McMinnville if you have time) then slab north to Olympia and catch 101 again and run up to Port Townsend (you can ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria if you'd like) for the ferry up to Whitbey and pick up the North Cascades (Hwy 20), make your way on Hwy 2 all the way over to Glacier and enter Canada at Roosville for a run up to Banff and of course the Icefields Parkway. Lots of options going back east, I like Hwy 2 on the US side but that's just me. Sorry for a brief and cryptic suggestion but fat fingering on my iPhone.

Thanks, Jim! Every single suggestion is great! I love historical sites and anything related to. We will be riding a 2008 RT and a 2007 Triumph Sprint.No camping.I like camping, but when weather gets bad, that is a option that i rather pass. Nothing like opening a tent that was packed wet...Will use motels. After a long day of riding, there is nothing like a clean and dry room to rest our old bones!

Will look into every single suggestion of yours, You must have done some great riding! Zion is for sure in our way! West coast is something i wanted for a long time. Back East will be on the US side,and, at your suggestion, Hwy 2 is on the plan. And i believe that is going to be the longest part of our journey! It is like after 3 weeks or so of riding, we are going home!And that home is still so far away!Can't speak for my friend, away for a month from the usual, from people that he understands. He lives in Germany, and no English at the beginning of this trip! Am sure there will be a few words that will stick to him for the rest of his life! Am not going to mention them here... Am sure he will have the trip of his life! And so will I, although am planing on a few more, like South America, and Europe. Just like life, possibilities will diminish, as getting older,and will be left with the wonderful memories! We are just guests on this world, so live it at the fullest, be nice with all people you know and leave with grace, at the end of a great journey!

Funny what you say about going to Europe and not seeing Paris. I'm ashamed to say that I've been to Europe at least 10 times and visited France at least 8 times but have never stopped in Paris. I did ride thru the city in the rain a few years ago on my way to Belgium. Oh well, maybe next time.

New York is the symbol of USA, from a European point of view. Now Europe, has, besides Paris, London, Vienna, Berlin, Bratislava,

Budapest, Copenhagen, Moscow, and so much more ! Even the smallest town in Germany having their own castle/museum, and brewery with

their own beer! Gawd,do i miss Europe...

I do find most of Europe more interesting, perhaps because it is so different. We are lucky that we get to see both on our motor bikes. :thumbsup:

I do find most of Europe more interesting, perhaps because it is so different. We are lucky that we get to see both on our motor bikes. :thumbsup:

Europe is more compact! You ride(drive, walk... ;)for 50 miles, you are in a different country, different language, traditions.You can go in one day thru 5 countries!Most drivers respect motorcyclists, unlike here.

I remember spending a night in Austria, going for a ride into Italy and having lunch in Switzerland before returning to the B and B in Austria. The owners insisted that I park the moto in their laundry room where it would be safer. I need to go back one more time!

I remember spending a night in Austria, going for a ride into Italy and having lunch in Switzerland before returning to the B and B in Austria. The owners insisted that I park the moto in their laundry room where it would be safer. I need to go back one more time!

Am not trying to divert the subject the OP started, (that would be me)

but Austria is the cleanest country i have ever seen! Vienna is a must see!

Am not sure if they still make motorcycles. Used to make the Puch

many years back. A weird engine, if you look into it!

I hope to go back there some time!