IGNORED

New to forum and BMW

aaronazevedo

aaronazevedo

Greetings all -

It's been 21 years since I last rode, and I'm getting back on the horse. I rode an old Suzuki GS850G in the late 80's and early 90's. Then moved into the sport touring world onto a Honda CBR 1000 Hurricane. I was then hit by a car, broken ribs, punctured lung, mangled clutch hand, etc. Fast forward...

I'm stuck on buying an '05 - '09 R1200RT. Everything I've read and those I've spoken to seems to say that the hexhead is a great update to the prior generation in weight, handling, performance and comfort. I'm starting to see them come down into a reasonable price range.

Is there a place I can go to do some further research? I'm a gear head and do most of my own work on our cars. We're a german car family, and I can't imagine anything but a german bike. I rode a Ducati ST3, and as nice as that is, I can't think about maintaining an Italian 'anything'. Current 4 wheel ride is a '01 740i Sport. Past rides are '95 e36 M3 and '95 993.

I've done a lot of searching, and can't seem to find the magic spot that outlines the potential pitfalls of RT ownership, or the unique items that changed from year to year. I'd greatly appreciate any input, advice, or guidance that helps me in my research and purchase of my next bike.

Many thanks, Aaron

Afternoon Aaron

Most of what you need to know is right here in the hexhead threads.

Kind of difficult searching for what you need to know so maybe sit down with a good cup of coffee the start reading the hexhead threads from WAY back.

If you can afford it then the late (late 2008-2009) hexhead is the best of the hexhead line as those have the better

brakes (no wizzy brakes), engine updates, better drive shaft, less oil leakage problems, easily drainable final drives, etc.

The 05 to 07 1200RT is a good bike just the late 08 & 09 is slightly better if you can find a decent deal.

Welcome Aaron,

I have an 08 RT and love it.

It is a vast improvement over my 04 RT.

Dirtrider is the guru hereabouts, but feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.

Cheers,

Overbyte

08-09 worth the extra money to get one.

I agree.

Less cost to maintain and less issues.

If you wan to save even more money on service . Check on the camhead pre-LC

'10-->

Is it the "look" of the RT, weather protection, or something else?

Ask because you don't mention the GS, which is a great sport tourer, plus, in many folks opinion.

Budget?

Pillion?

Long trips?

Welcome.

Edited by tallman

Back when I had 6-7 bikes, customers at the dealership would ask me why I didn't have a GS (very, very popular in our part of Ca.)

I would tell them I had several bikes to ride when I wanted to get cold or wet while riding and they should test ride both to see what suits them.

We still got new GS owners trying to make a GS into an RT.

Bigger screens, winglets, guards, defectors, etc.

I recently got a very nice R75/6 and remember why I have the R1100RT every time I ride it.

Bugs, sand, wind. The GS does have surprising wind protection, but I'm spoiled.

aaronazevedo
Is it the "look" of the RT, weather protection, or something else?

Ask because you don't mention the GS, which is a great sport tourer, plus, in many folks opinion.

Budget?

Pillion?

Long trips?

Welcome.

Budget is $5k - $8k.

Pillion - I had to look it up. LOL. Yes, I need a nice second seat for my better half. Comfort. Happy wife = Happy life!

Long trips, sure - I want to the freedom and comfort to do so if the spirit moves us.

GS are interesting machines - a lot of them around SoCal, but just not my cup of tea. I'm looking for a road bike - suitable for long trips as well as some more sporty solo rides. I was torn between the K12GT and the R1200RT, but every time I look at a K, there are reasons to look away. Maintenance expense, poor mpg, and heavy weight are all the reasons I end up back at the R1200RT every time.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the board.

I have been riding a R1200RT 2007, no whizzy brakes or leaks. It has just past 178,000 miles and is doing fine.

Just keep your eyes open and you will find what you are looking for.

Good luck. :wave:

Mostly just to the Starbucks and back, all real easy highway miles.

:rofl:

My secret is out. Going to Starbucks tomorrow morning. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Aaron,Picked up a nice used 06RT with all the extras with only 10k on it in 2010 for a steal!

Other than several fuel strips only other big issue was loosing ESA. That just gave me my excuse to lower it and upgrade the shocks!

The guys on this forum are awesome. I'm not much of a wrench but with help from the guys on the forum I replaced the suspension myself! :thumbsup:

Now I do everything myself except 12k check ups.

Here's to many long miles ahead for us all! :beer:

Indy Dave

How's it coming Aaron? I have an 06 and love it.

What have you looked at so far?

Welcome!

sardineone

Hi Aaron, On the subject of which year hexhead is right for you, like others have said just browse the hexhead forum. One clarification on the 'whizzy brakes' of the 05-07 models not being as good. The 'whizzy brakes' STOP my bike better than on any other bike I've owned (many brands & models over 48 years). My R1200ST is the ONLY bike I've ever done an unintentional stoppie :grin: on and that was with 50 lbs. of luggage on the back! The brakes are all linked to the hand lever and that was all I used during my panic stop I just described.

The down side is these brakes are a servo powered and do require more fluid changes by design as the fluid being sent to the servo pump is recirculated and I believe therefore vented to the atmosphere. BMW calls for a fluid change the last I heard of every two years and it is a pain as you have to access the ABS unit under the gas tank to get the job done. I do the job myself. With that said my bike is garage kept except when I'm traveling and I haven't had any trouble stretching the interval to every 4 years. A GS run through water might be more the application for the 2 year spec.

Happy hunting for your ideal BMW.

• 4 weeks later...
aaronazevedo

OK Team - I ended up pulling the trigger faster than I thought I might. I ended up buying an '06. And from all places, a dealer. I've purchased a ton of used cars in my life and most of the fun is the search. The typical MO is how to find a private seller who is just as much a gear head as me; all the records, and somehow is ready to part with their toy. I nearly never even look at dealers. Yet cycle trader had this bike on the one random day that I did not exclude dealers.

Someone is bound to ask, and I'm not that private, so I'll just throw it out there. I paid $4999 for the bike. 1 owner, bought, serviced, and sold back to the same dealer. 24k miles. 24k service just completed. New tires and battery. Evidently the prior owner bought the bike new as his 'last bike' and after 11 years, he grew older and one day tipped it over in his garage. Yes, it now has a few scratches on a saddle bag. As the story goes, he and his wife agreed it was time for the bike to go.

The bike came with all records and I'm just waiting for my helmet and jacket to arrive from Amazon. Super fired up to get back on a bike again. It's been nearly 20 years since I've ridden.

Anyway, that's the update! I'm sure I'll have questions as I get familiar with my new bike. I'll do my best to contribute here as well, yet I'm sure you're all far more experienced than I am.

Thanks for the tips during my purchase process.

Aaron

How's it coming Aaron? I have an 06 and love it.

What have you looked at so far?

Welcome!

Love my 06, you'll love yours too! Let us know how the first rides go.

There is kind of a rite of initiation on this board - trying to figure out HOW to post a picture! There's a whole thread devoted to it. Once you get it, like riding a bike you won't forget. Please show us a pic or two of your R bike!

The 06 is much the same as the 05 and my 05 is still the best ride I know.

Caveats: I have not ridden the 2014-2017 RTs - I have also changed the seat to a Russell Day Long and the shocks to Ohlins.

But I bet you will love the 06.

Love the RT looks found it easier to service the GS and do most repairs and after a few years riding the GS got on an RT had a hard time rounding a corner just a different motorcycle so is it K bike vs R bike

aaronazevedo

OK Gents - back with my first ride report.

A really nice ride. Typical need to get used to clutch and brakes, but overall I like it. It's my first BMW and first Boxer motor so you'll probably laugh at me when I describe the motor as 'thumps'. It's also my first motor mounted 'wrong' in a longitudinal manner as opposed to horizontally opposed.

I haven't yet determined if I can use the word 'refined' to describe it. I'm leaning towards yes, but it is so unique; onlike anything I expected.

I LOVE the adjustable windscreen. I thought it was a gimmick until I raised it a bit and experiences compete quiet! What a great feature!

Question - what rpm do you guys typical find yourself in? I find the motor lugs a bit anything under 3k rpm. I find i spend a lot of time between 3500 - 5500 rpm regardless of backroad or freeway.

Handling and chassis dynamics are outstanding. More later.

Welcome,

I bought my '06 in 2010 with 5800 on it for $10k. The bike now has just over 98000 on it. Besides a transmission swap (rare issue according to three dealers), everything else is fine.

I do my own maintenance save for the whizzy brakes fluid change, of which, I've only had done one time at 60k and they still sound like a flock of seagulls.

While I lust after a new bike, I can't seem to drop the "go-to" bike for all weather riding,......and it has been off pavement too ;)

duckbubbles
I find i spend a lot of time between 3500 - 5500 rpm regardless of backroad or freeway.
That's the sweet spot for ordinary riding. Let it rev for more speed right now.

Frank