IGNORED

Need Your Thoughts

Dave Faria

Hi List. I'm considering adding another bike. I currently own a 2004 R1150RT with 104k miles. I'm looking at a 2013 R1200RT with 12k miles. My 1150RT has all the problems you've read abt and I take care of them myself(transmission input shaft grease every 12k miles, the original wizzy abs modulator and it still works, rear drive failures). I've ridden used 2013 1200RTs. I like them but I was wondering will I be getting any of the similar problems that the 1150RT has. I'm 66 and the thrill of doing my own work is gone. The 1150RT will always have a home. It handles great and will be an around town bike but having been stranded 200 miles from home due to a rear drive failure I'm gun shy about just hopping on the bike and going.... Has the R1200RT turned out to be a bike that you just need to change the oil and air the tires and go??? I just don't have the time and energy to maintain two bikes. I also own the GS911 and use it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi List. I'm considering adding another bike. I currently own a 2004 R1150RT with 104k miles. I'm looking at a 2013 R1200RT with 12k miles. My 1150RT has all the problems you've read abt and I take care of them myself(transmission input shaft grease every 12k miles, the original wizzy abs modulator and it still works, rear drive failures). I've ridden used 2013 1200RTs. I like them but I was wondering will I be getting any of the similar problems that the 1150RT has. I'm 66 and the thrill of doing my own work is gone. The 1150RT will always have a home. It handles great and will be an around town bike but having been stranded 200 miles from home due to a rear drive failure I'm gun shy about just hopping on the bike and going.... Has the R1200RT turned out to be a bike that you just need to change the oil and air the tires and go??? I just don't have the time and energy to maintain two bikes. I also own the GS911 and use it.

Morning Dave

For the most part the final drive issues are pretty well gone on the camheads-- still an occasional failure but no where near as many as on the old 1100/1150 bikes.

Same with the ABS brakes-- a few failures (usually a motor brush problem) but not nearly as pronounced as on the 1100/1150 bikes.

I haven't ever seen a spline failure on the camhead (seen one on the hexhead but not on the camhead).

Some handlebar switch failures on the camhead (new switches are not real robust) but BMW seems to be taking care of most of them.

Even the electronic suspension on the camhead seems to be working with very few problems.

I have seen a few broken windshield arms on the camheads (usually with oversized windshields) & a LOT of handlebar switch failures, a lot of headlight bulb failures, but overall a pretty decent motorcycle considering how complex they are.

Put 87K miles on a ’10 Camhead, which was bullet proof even after tossing it into a ditch at speed. Only needed one valve shim and a couple handlebar switches outside of normal maintenance items.

Have put 25K miles on a ‘13 that also has been bulletproof not even needing a valve shim. Has had both handlebar switches replaced.

Bikes are very easy to maintain, plastic is 10 minutes off and 10 back on, and only annoyance is draining tranny fluid. Best of all, there is little heat coming from the engine, which should be a plus in TX.

freetime2247

Ditto what others have posted here. Purchased my 2012RT in mid 2014 and 10K later no worries. I too do my own maintenance and report no heat from the engine unlike my last bike a 2006 Honda ST1300. Also a great bike but lots of heat from that bullet proof motor.

I echo freetime and Highway41. I have a 2013 with 38000, it had one valve shim at 600 and one at 12000, no more since. I ride a lot in the southeast and it is warm/hot for 8 months each year and there is little heat coming from the engine. Arrest me speed in 3rd if you are inclined. I also had the handlebar switches replaced as part of the program, though they had not failed. I also do my own maintenance for the most part.

2013 was the last year for the camhead and probably the best. It's improved in countless ways over the R1150RT (except maybe the turnsignal layout -- I preferred my R1100RT signal buttons to today's layout).

12k is not even broken in. Having owned a 2013 for three years mine was a great bike and agree with others' prediction that it's likely to be bulletproof.

54,000 miles on my 2012. A couple of valve shims and the usual scheduled servicing. Bike has been reliable at best. Now that I said that? LOL.

The switches I went through the BMW replacement program and I think they got it right this time.

It's been pretty much a gas and go operation.

I have a 2012 R1200 RT.

No problems other than switch-gear replacement.

Usual maintenance & no other problems.

Although I am noticing the tire pressure the tire pressure monitors is sending, looks a little doubtful, most likely the batteries are going.

Still have the OEM battery & it still strong, but most likely will replace it this riding season, just to be safe.

~25K Miles

Edited by RSH

Thanks Everybody. I ride the bike this coming Saturday morning. I assume the transmission input is like the 1150. Has anyone pulled back the transmission and looked for grins??? I still check ever so often on the 1150 by removing the starter and hanging a coat hanger over the tranny input shaft and extend the end of the wire out the starter hole. I would then rotate the back wheel with the transmission in gear and to get an idea of how much wear there was between the clutch disk and transmission input shaft.

Take care and Thanks

Dave Faria

Don_Eilenberger
Thanks Everybody. I ride the bike this coming Saturday morning. I assume the transmission input is like the 1150. Has anyone pulled back the transmission and looked for grins??? I still check ever so often on the 1150 by removing the starter and hanging a coat hanger over the tranny input shaft and extend the end of the wire out the starter hole. I would then rotate the back wheel with the transmission in gear and to get an idea of how much wear there was between the clutch disk and transmission input shaft.

Take care and Thanks

Dave Faria

The R1200XX engines simply do not wear out clutch splines. I've only heard of one that failed - and that was a BMW mistake on assembly - it was replaced and worked just fine. Many of us have gone 100K miles and never given a thought to the clutch splines (thank DOG after owning K bikes and R1150's..)

They finally got it right.

Now that the Wetheads have been out for a few years the '14's and '15's are not too much more than the asking price for the Camheads. The Camheads did seem to be pretty reliable less switch clusters noted here but those switch issues were BMW wide, not RT specific. However, the Wetheads are such a nice improvement in every respect they are worth a look if you can stretch the budget a bit.

When I went from a Hex to a Camhead I was surprised at how little changed. Going to a Wethead is better in every way.