IGNORED

Anybody in piedmont/western NC want to help me adjust valves?

jcranfill

'02 r1150rt, never adjusted valves myself, on anything, ever. Purchased this bike last year, a little tick coming from it now, no BMW dealer close by. Ive watched a few videos, would still rather have someone that's done it before nearby. Willing to pay in cash, moonshine, or food.

I'm in North Wilkesboro fwiw.

szurszewski

We are in Florida currently working our way north. I'd be happy to come by and drink your 'shine while watching you do the work. ;)

It's as straightforward as the videos make it look - just take it slow and use a SMALL wrench on the lock nuts.

If you want supervision in maybe a couple of weeks, send me a pm on here.

josh

Eckhard Grohe

Use 2 feeler gauges, one under each swivel cap. I believe it is better to err on the loose side because noisy valves are better than burnt valves.

szurszewski
Use 2 feeler gauges, one under each swivel cap. I believe it is better to err on the loose side because noisy valves are better than burnt valves.

That's four total - one for each of the two intake and exhaust valves.

Here's the set I used - if you have a good local dealer, they might have them there.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/wurthoilhead.html

Well, I've been right by there 5 times in the last three weeks, once Sat two days ago. We could have had it done in 45 min. Not sure when I'll be back, tho. Someone will come to your aid.

I was in the same boat as you, but I bought that set of feeler gauges from Beemer Boneyard and went for it. It REALLY is as easy as it looks in the videos.

While you're on Beemer Boneyard, you may as well order the ABS flush funnel as well. You'll need that down the road. That's not quite as easy as a valve adjustment, but it's certainly not rocket surgery either.

You can do it!!! :)

We could have had it done in 45 min.

Don't tell my wife that! I have her believing it takes 4 hours, music, and a bunch of beer.

Jcranfill - if you don't receive a better offer (through it appears you just did) a whole slew of us are going to be in Maggie Valley in a few weeks at START. Come spend a night or two, and we'd be happy to do an impromptu Tech Daze. We will have that puppy purring.

szurszewski
I can bring four feeler gauges and bourbon...

Wait - there will be bourbon? We may have to look further into this....