IGNORED

Securing Camping Gear

djbock

Looking for recommendations to secure camping gear on the RT. On my /7 have been using regular bungee's but want something a little more "substantial". For input recommendations the cargo on the rear rack would be 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads and a 4-person backpacking tent.

Looking for recommendations to secure camping gear on the RT. On my /7 have been using regular bungee's but want something a little more "substantial". For input recommendations the cargo on the rear rack would be 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads and a 4-person backpacking tent.

Afternoon djbock

Roc straps are always a good choice or just some generic flat (about 1" wide) gear securing elastic straps with good quality hooks.

A favorite of mine for securely holding odd shaped camping gear are called Fat Straps. The will even hold my camping gear on my dirt bikes through tress, brush, crashing, & me trying to bounce off of them as the bike tries to toss me off.

Fat Straps

Edited by dirtrider
sebjones906

http://www.bmrproducts.com/

This person sells a flat bed that quickly attaches and hold things in place much better than your luggage rack or your seat. I have delivered, over 400 miles, a muffler system and a gas tank at the same time with no problem. With Roxstraps and this flat bed you can lash down anything and it ain't gonna move.

Thank you both. ROK Straps were what I had in my head, but couldn't remember the manufacturer.

The flat bed appears very hand and would make life a lot easier, but 2-up riding requires both seats.

Here are the Rok Straps that folks are mentioning(with some creative spelling)

https://www.amazon.com/ROK-Straps-ROK-10025-Black-Motorcycle/dp/B00SXJLLBW

These long adjustable versions seem to work best for varied MC use.

Have been using them for years,highly recommended.

Available from many sources besides Amazon,local MC dealers often have them.

Have seen the BMR plates,they look sturdy and well made.

You may have to do some easy fabrication to mount to your particular bike,if they don't already list a custom mount.

JR356

Multiple strap choices. My technic is to run a strap thru the two clips under the rear seat leaving the hook ends just exposed on either side of the seat when reinstalled. This way you can have a secure point to attach your bungee cords Forward of the rear rack.

The absolute best, IMO, is the U pac designs.

I can fit an incredible amount in ours, very secure and stable,

rainproof cover.

But, Mag's Bags stopped production back in '09 and I'm not sure anyone still makes a version.

DSC01209.jpg

Still room for pillion.

Or reverse it and still use topcase.

Short version.

2 chairs, tent, groundcloth/fly cover, stove, pots and pans, food, water, sleeping bags, inflatable matress, pump, silk sleeping bag liners, fleece blankets, 5 pillows, LED lantern, camp towels, laundry rope, eating utensils, and much more.

The small bag on top of U pac carries raingear for easy access.

Mine will be for sale...

glad to hear you're ditching the bungee's. Many years ago, my sister in law was helping her girlfriend secure some luggage to the top of her SUV and when the bungee slipped out of the GF's hand, it took my sister in law's eye out.

All my bungee's went in the incinerator after that.

ROK Straps and Helen Two Wheels bags have served me well over the years.

RPG

I'm a believer in using soft ties along w/the RokStraps.

Secure soft ties to subframe, or, pegs, use thos loops as

a place to run RokStraps through.

Bungees have no business on a motorcycle, if there is weight involved.

+1 RPG - I had a slipped bungee hit my helmet right by my eye. Have used Roc straps since and like 'em.

Rider1200RT

Another option is to ask the BMW dealer for those white straps your bike was secured with in the crate. If you ask nicely they'l give them away. I have seen a dealer or two trying to actually sell them.... :(

I have used them for years including securing the bike on ferries...

I have been using Helen-2-Wheels bags and nylon straps with simple double loop rings.

I am sure they are for sale by the fellow that bought out Helen.

My wife and I traveled and camped this way for over 3500 miles and 11 day/nights.

LDOZ7BGQ_1SC2BFrXT32m23kRGWMe3rHT0_IpB1EgkXnwiLcMreHl-m1s0EwdyuswY46EXoT8TvP3wFZZ4xW97oK1jwJTTotnSvTXfFvko3NGX8zrgkzGIaalREbQxRsNcRhXaRiKoszsYDSiqCG7iNJXZK2Oeuv7n239Fp235MveEU_6OsnQ8Hykqw4IEc1vkfREIyg7IrqaYglJBT9klRH3JszFt_X00qLyS-N0x0em8MEGJ4ayjmdZAisYaB13eanMlDreG2WVvm9DPyf_ZvOhk05L34jJpkeq-wq5A9zMTY6h6vI41mI32qRZHCNimrGEvF3cSIXfOUcbmJ1F-8ovxEiFcbgPHuJXKEntCEqM4QicGrISfv0cDR5B3KD5M8k9mLwbL_zAWzohtBbA7zT3kVx5JJtqyzBzHVoQPuRk3Fac83IF536NYITYPBOXOhmiC3CFN3xUVOUXtE8YtS3SzMIDYfvhwyz2PezC7KFYokl7awa-eQ-Rj2Dr2O4NT44QaszZt5YOKIVVWTKl2pkYaH3ovd7MPqqMG4fz9BMRhA-3OS5HNJgGweiRFLCUJBNZbiaV3d2PuZlPzDotb681CiH7PG55enlTu92KzvmLkTmgzo=w1334-h1002-no?.jpg

Here is the view of the rear of the bike at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

zfDcNCg0Q48XZNJUmWoWaJ2dzdo7dWiLDDdTK8GpsCA9HkUk8BEyq1I2Ia3AvB0gWViULf2BtcilFR8HMgrbcBHI6nlbiNNFhEF_ic9XfSKuJUOtkgtPkXhETvWRiwpE24W8QJ7npwsKgNocMcOclAER2X8xA8XeeVWIRWkUtwQ2DOiDxwOsPFLvb2nXJIQYq2QPj-xoO8ddlJgWUfMZNdzy-7j36YqQMVTgPJ4L4px0PGZSRHBnNpwhxHyG4SINDZXzbXsDQ77fAytt7uvT49BORjoOLmQ2ZXTzkMtQjeKDespJ0kdz1T1BrzdvBQOEZVRwayUu4sY08RWqQeYyCg9KgeFWnpmPAK_j1_DDUE7QGn96f-Bs2tMEWS4Tq3BlJkxF92HXKOqSGmXbRwYneQMles38xVo3Ji2xPWNZrI8_RJHEKNM2UsD87igDepL2KJE6H6ZuZQh0ZSzntbEp1q7GErnIm3CZtBO6T5N7vNozARYCfRwB0eUe7lS0723XBW0sHivBusiIcqBKRiLXiaGylWxe9-6fVnTU4CFL-V47SbaLiJUubYiNfW3XITSrPcuhAsyWmZEjL6kZeefSu_iVKe5qQYiLiBqAvLpt4MEzM_84beFRtg=w1556-h1166-no?.jpg

Bernie,

That is why I love the UPac.

Carried everything you did, I'd wager, probably more camping

gear, and 2 sling chairs.

All lower wrt weight and stability.

I attach a board to the GIVI rear rack with bolts, that supports the width of the UPac bag, and, I can access the bag while on the bike to get to anything packed in it w/out unloading/unstrapping other bags.

I have Helen 2 Wheels bags also for other use.

The more I think about, the more I think I need to ask a premium price for the NLA U Pac.

:grin:

Bill_Walker

I'll join the anti-bungee chorus. I lost a tail pack that was secured with built-in bungee cords. Give me non-stretch straps, please, so I can cinch the load down nice and tight.

Helen2Wheels system for me. I've concluded that soft ties for squishy stuff, and Rok Straps for rigid stuff, is the way to go. I only need one tensioning device, either compress my clothing/tent/whatever and let the rebound supply tension, or let the elastic in the Rok Straps do the job.

There are a couple of videos on the site with useful information on how to secure the load.

Link below goes to a picture of my packed bike. I can't seem to get the actual photo to display :(

https://goo.gl/kKzO3P

I'm thinking all of my camping gear will be inside my hack! :rofl:

I have seen you camp, your hack is not big enough, maybe if you pile it on top. :)

I'm thinking all of my camping gear will be inside my hack! :rofl:

I have seen you camp, your hack is not big enough, maybe if you pile it on top. :)

I have been using Helen-2-Wheels bags and nylon straps with simple double loop rings.

I am sure they are for sale by the fellow that bought out Helen.

My wife and I traveled and camped this way for over 3500 miles and 11 day/nights.

LDOZ7BGQ_1SC2BFrXT32m23kRGWMe3rHT0_IpB1EgkXnwiLcMreHl-m1s0EwdyuswY46EXoT8TvP3wFZZ4xW97oK1jwJTTotnSvTXfFvko3NGX8zrgkzGIaalREbQxRsNcRhXaRiKoszsYDSiqCG7iNJXZK2Oeuv7n239Fp235MveEU_6OsnQ8Hykqw4IEc1vkfREIyg7IrqaYglJBT9klRH3JszFt_X00qLyS-N0x0em8MEGJ4ayjmdZAisYaB13eanMlDreG2WVvm9DPyf_ZvOhk05L34jJpkeq-wq5A9zMTY6h6vI41mI32qRZHCNimrGEvF3cSIXfOUcbmJ1F-8ovxEiFcbgPHuJXKEntCEqM4QicGrISfv0cDR5B3KD5M8k9mLwbL_zAWzohtBbA7zT3kVx5JJtqyzBzHVoQPuRk3Fac83IF536NYITYPBOXOhmiC3CFN3xUVOUXtE8YtS3SzMIDYfvhwyz2PezC7KFYokl7awa-eQ-Rj2Dr2O4NT44QaszZt5YOKIVVWTKl2pkYaH3ovd7MPqqMG4fz9BMRhA-3OS5HNJgGweiRFLCUJBNZbiaV3d2PuZlPzDotb681CiH7PG55enlTu92KzvmLkTmgzo=w1334-h1002-no?.jpg

Here is the view of the rear of the bike at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

zfDcNCg0Q48XZNJUmWoWaJ2dzdo7dWiLDDdTK8GpsCA9HkUk8BEyq1I2Ia3AvB0gWViULf2BtcilFR8HMgrbcBHI6nlbiNNFhEF_ic9XfSKuJUOtkgtPkXhETvWRiwpE24W8QJ7npwsKgNocMcOclAER2X8xA8XeeVWIRWkUtwQ2DOiDxwOsPFLvb2nXJIQYq2QPj-xoO8ddlJgWUfMZNdzy-7j36YqQMVTgPJ4L4px0PGZSRHBnNpwhxHyG4SINDZXzbXsDQ77fAytt7uvT49BORjoOLmQ2ZXTzkMtQjeKDespJ0kdz1T1BrzdvBQOEZVRwayUu4sY08RWqQeYyCg9KgeFWnpmPAK_j1_DDUE7QGn96f-Bs2tMEWS4Tq3BlJkxF92HXKOqSGmXbRwYneQMles38xVo3Ji2xPWNZrI8_RJHEKNM2UsD87igDepL2KJE6H6ZuZQh0ZSzntbEp1q7GErnIm3CZtBO6T5N7vNozARYCfRwB0eUe7lS0723XBW0sHivBusiIcqBKRiLXiaGylWxe9-6fVnTU4CFL-V47SbaLiJUubYiNfW3XITSrPcuhAsyWmZEjL6kZeefSu_iVKe5qQYiLiBqAvLpt4MEzM_84beFRtg=w1556-h1166-no?.jpg

Are you the pot or the kettle? :wave: