IGNORED

Headlight and oil

SoCalBmr

I guess I need a new bulb. On Saturday, noticed in a reflection that my headlight wasn't on, just two small side lights. The momentary high-beam comes on, but not the selected high beam on the switch. For the life of me I couldn't see how to get to the bulb. Does the plastic have to come off, or is there a secret panel somewhere?

Also, in checking the oil, couldn't see any in the sight glass. So I start it, let it run for just a few, stop it, let it sit, then check again. Nada, zilch, zero. Even tipping it side to side didn't show any. I clean the glass. Still none. So I add some, enough to show in the glass, then bring it up to halfway, the dot in the center, and run it for a few minutes. The next day, there is a small puddle of oil on the garage floor under the bike, right under the centerstand!? Maybe that's why it was so low, on purpose to avoid that leak.

szurszewski

The headlight bulb is probably actually where you think it is. You go in from on front of the bars/tank and it is covered by a boot that the plug/wires go through. Having tiny flexible hands helps. So does this link.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?30500-1996-R1100RT-Headlight-Bulb-Replacement-Procedure

For the oil level, google oilhead oil dance - I almost never could see

Any level of oil in my RT... except when I could. It was odd frustrating and amusing all at once. How much did you add?

MontanaMark

Hi,

Headlight bulb replacement on an RT is a PITA. Sorry, no secret access panel. The way I've always done it is to turn the bars to lock and reach down into the space to the bulb socket. Once you've removed the socket, remove the rubber bulb cover. There are a couple of tabs on the cover; grab one a gently pull it back. Once the cover is off, there is a spring clamp that needs to be squeezed to release the clamp. When free, the clamp will swing out and you can then get to the bulb itself. If it's a stock bulb, it will be an H4, available at any auto parts store. Replacement is the reverse of removal. Be careful not to touch the bulb glass as oils from your fingers can cause the bulb to explode. The bulb is keyed so that it will only fit one way into the bulb holder. The rubber cover fits into grooves on the light bulb mount, so be sure to get the cover into the groove. Otherwise, the socket will not fit snugly on the bulb and may pop off with a little vibration.

As far at the oil level is concerned, this is a bit of the black art of owning an RT. I think what may have happened in your case is that the oil did not drain from the oil cooler, thus the low reading. When you filled it up and left it overnight, the oil from the cooler drained down and overfilled the crankcase. The puddle was from the oil overflow tube that goes into the air box. Look up under the air box for a little drain plug. Pop that open and wait for it...

I check the oil by putting it up on the center stand and waiting an hour. Showing at the bottom of the sight glass it ok. Keep in mind, the crankcase holds a gallon of oil. Check your sight glass for weeping. This means that the press-fit sight glass is getting ready to fail. Please replace it before it fails, because it's a spectacular failure.

Cheers,

Mark

Pulling the bulb isn't too bad, but requires small hands.

Once you get the bulb out, check to see if the bulb is good; if it is, the problem may be the switch assembly itself.

You don't say how many miles are on the RT. The high/low beam switch does not use a relay, and routes full current through its contacts. Sooner or later (~100,000 miles, in my case), the contacts will burn out. You may be able to extend the life of the switch a few thousand miles by disassembling it, and dressing the contacts, but that is only a temporary fix, and there are lots of little bits, including tiny springs, in the switch assembly that are wont to go flying across the room.

Not necessarily a "now" project, but consider upgrading the wiring harness to the Eastern Beaver high capacity harness, which uses 2 relays, and will save your switch contacts. Installation isn't too difficult, and I managed to do it without even removing the gas tank. I used an existing hole in the frame to mount a bracket for the two relays:

relays2.png

With the upgraded wiring harness, you can drive a brighter bulb, such as a Hella 100/55W.

Here are photos of the OEM wiring with a 60/55W bulb, and a Hella 100/55W bulb on the Eastern Beaver harness:

OEM:

Before-high.JPG

Eastern Beaver/Hella:

100-55-High.JPG

I guess I need a new bulb. On Saturday, noticed in a reflection that my headlight wasn't on, just two small side lights. The momentary high-beam comes on, but not the selected high beam on the switch. For the life of me I couldn't see how to get to the bulb. Does the plastic have to come off, or is there a secret panel somewhere?

Also, in checking the oil, couldn't see any in the sight glass. So I start it, let it run for just a few, stop it, let it sit, then check again. Nada, zilch, zero. Even tipping it side to side didn't show any. I clean the glass. Still none. So I add some, enough to show in the glass, then bring it up to halfway, the dot in the center, and run it for a few minutes. The next day, there is a small puddle of oil on the garage floor under the bike, right under the centerstand!? Maybe that's why it was so low, on purpose to avoid that leak.

Evening SoCalBmr

That headlight is the least of your worries if you had a big puddle of oil

under the center stand. That is a serious oil leak & needs to be addressed

quickly (you REALLY need to severely overfill a BMW boxer to get oil to run

out on the ground)

If the oil leak is serious then you might end up with all the plastic off &

that will make headlight bulb replacement a piece of cake.

Edited by dirtrider
szurszewski

If the oil leak is serious then you might end up with all the plastic off &

that will make headlight bulb replacement a piece of cake.

This is a fantastic look at the bright side kind of thought. I love it!

SoCalBmr,

If you REALLY want to light up the road, try the H4 LED, 4000 lumen headlight. I just put one in my R1100RT. BIG difference. $49 on Amazon (for two bulbs).

Amazon H4

Then I added a two-speed modulator for it.

Lowndes

At this point I would drain the oil into something and measure how much you actually have in it. Refill with proper amount per your owners manual, then check for leaks.

At this point I would drain the oil into something and measure how much you actually have in it. Refill with proper amount per your owners manual, then check for leaks.

+1... engine oil quantity is quite important! (and easy enough to do)

To add.

Not only is this oil issue much more relevant than the headlight.

If is is as you say, you need to act quickly because there is a chance that it is coming out the back of the motor. That will destroy your clutch and then the costs escalate quickly.

Thanks to all- I don't ride at night, so don't really need a superbulb, just the stock one. My good bud is a small guy, and has little hands. The PO added two driving lights so there is light to be seen by.

As for the oil, it was a very small puddle. I'll keep an eye on it. I'm gonna ride out to my BIL's place and use his lift to do a basic service to establish a baseline. The bike has a 100k mi.I can't find an owners manual, but there appears to be a lot of user-compiled information on the net.

I am still concerned to know where this oil is coming from. Does it drip from the centre of the bike or one side? Is it from the metalwork or from a drain pipe?

I am, too. After the daily labors, I'll get out to the garage, and get under there with a flashlight and inspection mirror.

The Amazon reviews for that bulb are not very encouraging.

Hey, Selden,

I did read the reviews and it seemed to me to be mostly young noobs having beginner probs and blaming the bulb. The only thing that did cause me some concern was the "3 months" lifespan mentioned by a few. Also, the way Amazon laid out the "reviews" made it seem ALL the reviews were bad. The overall "star" graph looked pretty good. If it does go bad, I still have the other LED bulb and the OEM!!