IGNORED

Valve cover bolts and bushings

mkjennison

Hello forum people!

I recently removed the highway pegs and associated brackets from my ’00 R1100RT, and I think my bolt/bushings for the valve cover is missing a washer. Is there supposed to be a washer between the bolt head and the rubber grommet for each of the valve cover bolts? If so, mine is missing… but it’s missing on all eight bolts (not just the ones which held the highway peg bracket). See attached for picture for what I’m talking about – my bike does not contain the parts circled in red.

zKHrjCo

I also don’t think these are referenced in the parts fiche for my year… see picture below… although it's really tough to tell.

S0S8eeW

Are these parts available for purchase, or should I find close-fitting standard washers to replace? Suggestions?

Mark

Hello forum people!

I recently removed the highway pegs and associated brackets from my ’00 R1100RT, and I think my bolt/bushings for the valve cover is missing a washer. Is there supposed to be a washer between the bolt head and the rubber grommet for each of the valve cover bolts? If so, mine is missing… but it’s missing on all eight bolts (not just the ones which held the highway peg bracket). See attached for picture for what I’m talking about – my bike does not contain the parts circled in red.

zKHrjCo

I also don’t think these are referenced in the parts fiche for my year… see picture below… although it's really tough to tell.

S0S8eeW

Are these parts available for purchase, or should I find close-fitting standard washers to replace? Suggestions?

Afternoon Mark

No washer between the steel hat looking cap & the rubber.

Those red circled hat-looking washers are only availably with the bolts from BMW but they are usually MUCH cheaper on E-Bay

11127654223_1_B.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

Thank you very much dirtrider. I think whoever installed the highway pegs (before my time) removed the steel 'hat' caps; so my bike is missing them. I'll take a look for replacements - but are they necessary? They look pretty thin.

Thank you very much dirtrider. I think whoever installed the highway pegs (before my time) removed the steel 'hat' caps; so my bike is missing them. I'll take a look for replacements - but are they necessary? They look pretty thin.

Afternoon mkjennison

Something is needed between the bolt head & the rubber grommet-- A thin washer about rubber diameter might work but that hat-shape is formed to hold the rubber grommet from oozing out from under the bolt head over time & heat cycles.

szurszewski

My RT was also missing three of those on each side where a set of cover guards and highway pegs were attached. The bolts with caps were about $12 each last spring from the dealer.

My understanding is the bolts are just long enough to bottom out, so you would not want to run them without the proper cap or a suitably thick washer or spacer of some kind. Is that correct, or are the bolts not that long?

"My understanding is the bolts are just long enough to bottom out, so you would not want to run them without the proper cap or a suitably thick washer or spacer of some kind. Is that correct, or are the bolts not that long?"

szurszewski,

That's my understanding, too, fwiw.

Also:

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN these bolts. WAY TOO EASY to strip the threads. And THAT can lead to fru$tration.

"Also:

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN these bolts. WAY TOO EASY to strip the threads. And THAT can lead to fru$tration.

Yeah, did a bit of reading and I'm sure happy I haven't overtorqued these by accident yet. Thanks for the notes guys... I'll follow up :)

Are you leaving the highway pegs off? If so, I would recommend you revert back to BMW's solution. Those cupped washers help contain the rubber bushing and keep things right.

Do not be tempted to over-tighten these bolts or you will kick yourself later when they shear off.