IGNORED

1150r; strange noise with neutral throttle at 2800-3000rpm

Marko

The engine is idling as it should, revs up ok, and accelerates fine but when cruising on 3 rd gear (roughly at 2800-3000rpm_ I hear a strange noise. It does not happen always unless I can't hear it due to the wind noise. it does not sound sinister; its more annoying than anything else. I wonder if this is likely to be due to the cam shaft tensioner. would an engine oil change help? ( I have just changed to synthetic Castrol magnate 10w-40).Grateful for your advice!

Edited by Marko

I would not be cruising in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM. I generally ride my Oilhead at 4000-4500 RPM. At 3K you are close to lugging the motor.

But you may have a noise from a problem, so others will chime in with some other questions or places to investigate.

I meant riding slowly in third gear between 2800-3000rpm when I do not need to accelerate; the noise start coming on slowly but is more pronounced at between 2800- 3000rpm to then go completely above 3000rpm. the bike is from 2002 and has done 23k.

Edited by Marko
The engine is idling as it should, revs up ok, and accelerates fine but when cruising on 3 rd gear (roughly at 2800-3000rpm_ I hear a strange noise. It does not happen always unless I can't hear it due to the wind noise. it does not sound sinister; its more annoying than anything else. I wonder if this is likely to be due to the cam shaft tensioner. would an engine oil change help? ( I have just changed to synthetic Castrol magnate 10w-40).Grateful for your advice!

Morning Marko

Engine noises are VERY difficult to diagnose over the internet, they are difficult enough to pinpoint when leaning over the bike but when working over the internet we need your eyes & ears to even have a chance.

So with the above said can you give us a LOT more info on that noise?

Like, EXACTLY what does it sound like ,(anything in nature or at home that comes close to making the same noise)

Does the noise change with engine RPM (like frequency or intensity, or change with engine load or engine speed?)

Is it there both hot & cold or only at (or above) a certain engine temperature?

Can you hear the noise in any other gear than 3rd?

Can you get the noise if just free revving the engine in neutral?

Can you revv the engine above the 2800-3000rpm in 3rd gear, then hit the kill switch & coast down through that 2800-3000rpm disturbance period? If so is the noise still there, if there does it sound any different?

On the early 1150 bikes any unusual noises in the drivetrain should be identified if possible as the noise could be as simple as loose engine attachment, or something vibrating, to as bad as the trans input splines getting ready to strip out.

If you can give us more (specific) info on your drivetrain noise then we might be able to help you find & define it.

I would not be cruising in 3rd gear at 3000 RPM. I generally ride my Oilhead at 4000-4500 RPM. At 3K you are close to lugging the motor.

But you may have a noise from a problem, so others will chime in with some other questions or places to investigate.

Eliminate this, first.

I know you said, going slowly not needing to accelerate, but...

how fast are you moving at 2800 in 3rd, going slowly not needing to accelerate?

Thank you so much for all your posts and your advice! I took my bike to the BMW dealership in Alton and apparently there is nothing wrong with it! I will just continue riding it and stop worrying unnecessarily.