IGNORED

RPM after 600 mile seevice

Bodhi65

I just got the 600 mile service on 2016 RT. I broke it in in the twisties and mountains in Catskills and dutchess county backroads. My question is can I now go above 5000 rpm and test the rev limiter or should I continue to climb up in revs gradually?

I would be more cautious than strataj and increase RPM by 1000 up to 700 miles, then another 1000 rpm up to 800 miles, then another 1000 rpm until 900 miles at which point your maximum engine rpm is almost met. Then after this to redline. During this gradual phase you could go above the maximum rpm for short bursts, but not to redline.

I just got the 600 mile service on 2016 RT. I broke it in in the twisties and mountains in Catskills and dutchess county backroads. My question is can I now go above 5000 rpm and test the rev limiter or should I continue to climb up in revs gradually?

Evening Bodhi65

It should be in your riders manual around pages 100-103 (called something like running in engine)

As a rule after 600 miles (1000Km) you don't have to limit the RPM's to 5000 any longer.

Lots of different opinions on how to proceed after the 600 mile run in check-- My personal way is to take it up gradually another 1000-2000 RPM's or so on each riding session (overnight engine cool down & re-heat)

Even then I don't hold it at elevated RPM's for long periods (just up to, then dropped throttle high vacuum decel)--then back up again then dropped throttle again.

After 1000 miles all caution is off & I start bouncing it off the rev limiter as time or two each ride.

Like I said above, lots or opinions on this, but so far doing what I have been doing on many new BMW's I haven't ended up with an oil user yet.

You are already past the very critical first few hundred miles & it sounds like you ran those in correctly.

I'll point out, as I always do in break-in threads, that most modern motorcycles are run to the red-line multiple times before they leave the factory. I suspect that most break-in mileage is aimed more at the rider (and preventing an accident from inexperience with the machine) than it is at the motorcycle itself.