IGNORED

BMW can't retrofit TPMS to my 2012 1200RT

GTSDave

I bought a real clean 2012 1200RT last fall with lots of aftermarket additions. Great bike, big improvement from 04 1150RT although replaced shocks with aftermarket Tractive and still not as supple as Ohlins on my '04.

Any case, it didn't have TPMS option and spent last two Saturdays at A&S BMW in Roseville to retrofit it. They added all the hardware but were not able to program the SW to accept it. According to BMW Technical source they consulted, since the bike didn't come with this option, the SW is different, won't accept TPMS and can't be modified. They had to remove the wheels/ tires to remove the sensors, remount, balance and eat all the labor and refund me full amount. I can't believe a factory option can't be retrofitted to a bike that didn't have it from the factory! very frustrating. I am aware of aftermarket TPMS options, but would much prefer the integrated factory option, especially since all the hardware is available.

I have a 2012rt. I found out before I ordered the bike that the tpms is factory option only. The dealership knew this. I'm surprised your guys didn't know this information. The only dealer options are the ASC and theft alarm system. They can be dealer programmed. Supposedly on the 2012 and probably other camhead years the software codes are proprietory factory. BMW won't release them. I don't know what's the big deal. There are good aftermarket tpms systems. I'm sure you can research it.

I bought a real clean 2012 1200RT last fall with lots of aftermarket additions. Great bike, big improvement from 04 1150RT although replaced shocks with aftermarket Tractive and still not as supple as Ohlins on my '04.

Any case, it didn't have TPMS option and spent last two Saturdays at A&S BMW in Roseville to retrofit it. They added all the hardware but were not able to program the SW to accept it. According to BMW Technical source they consulted, since the bike didn't come with this option, the SW is different, won't accept TPMS and can't be modified. They had to remove the wheels/ tires to remove the sensors, remount, balance and eat all the labor and refund me full amount. I can't believe a factory option can't be retrofitted to a bike that didn't have it from the factory! very frustrating. I am aware of aftermarket TPMS options, but would much prefer the integrated factory option, especially since all the hardware is available.

Morning GTSDave

I'm not sure why BMW didn't make the later 1200 bikes allowed to be retrofitted. The early 1200 bikes couldn't because the wheels were different on the non TPMS bikes (no defined pocket for the wheel sensors). I presume this was due to a wheel balance issue as the wheel sensor weight adds a lot of weight in one spot.

Due to the high cost of new wheel or wheels (I can't remember if just front or both wheels were different) retro fitting the early bikes wasn't cost effective)

AFAIK the replacement wheel was only offered with TPMS pocket.

If they got the wheel sensors properly mounted & seated on your wheels then that shouldn't be an issue on the later bikes.

Dealership should have known.

Wonder about that, how long Servie Manager has done BMW's?

Heck, I'm years out of the game and remember this...

TPMS is nice.

But, pretty easy to check.

Visual before each ride, you do that, right?

Check pressure based on rides/weather etc. and a pattern should be clear.

Best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...
freetime2247

I have too have the 2012RT and every available option other than the TPMS. I never checked with my BMW dealer regarding this installation as I've always carry my guage and check before each mornings ride.

Now my next bike will have that option! But I'm years from that with only 18K on the bike now.

Don_Eilenberger

The problem with using a gauge before every ride is I typically loose 1-2 PSI just using the gauge, meaning I then have to find an air compressor to put the correct amount of air in.

The TPMS that I have will read the tire pressure by just turning the ignition on - you can read it before the bike is in gear and pulling out of the garage (Mobiltron system - internal sensors.) Using this system - I can go months without having to add air to my tires.

Perhaps others are more skilled than I am at getting the gauge on the filler stem - with the back rim and the off-set stem, it's really a challenge to do it for me without a "psssttt.." of air for a second or two.

Don,

A solution is use a gauge that is hooke to an air compressor.

That's is my main method.

So, reading, either good to go, or needs a smidge.

I found that on my GT when ridden frequently I rearely needed to add air.

That was w/one brand tire for a long time.

YMMV.

Don_Eilenberger
Don,

YMMV.

That's one solution. Tell you the truth, I prefer mine since I don't leave my air-compressor charged up when I'm not using it.

With the TPMS system I have - I look down, read the pressure, ride off. That works for me.

Don,

YMMV.

Morning Tallman

That sounds way to technical for me. I usually check/set my tire pressure about once a month. (well, at least every 2 months anyhow)

If I think about it I thump my motorcycle tires with a 2' 1/2 drive extension before riding off & if the thump doesn't sound like it has in the last 1000 times then I might grab a tire pressure gauge & check the funny sounding one for being low.

Is it accurate to 1/2 psi?-- I doubt it, but plenty close enough for my riding needs.

If the bike starts to wallow a bit in the turns or gets lazy changing lanes then I might find a pull-off & give the tires a thump or put a pressure gauge to them.

DR,

Not really, did that at the dealership.

If you're going to use a gauge, why not one that will then put air in, if needed.

But, understand.

Personally, I found, after years of checking, my GT didn't change much.

So, yes visucal inspections for intrusives, etc.

then ride.

Best wishes.