IGNORED

I'm not in Kansas anymore...

mtd076

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I'm a Kawasaki owner since 95. I'm riding a 900Classic LT and a 91 Vulcan 750.

Well, yesterday, I came across a deal I couldn't refuse. I purchased a 1994 R1100RS with a little over 50,000 miles. It was selling for 3800 but I got it for 1300. The place is going out of business and this BMW has been on this lot for awhile. it's a Kawasaki dealership. They are going out of business.

I have worked on my VN750 changing out the clutch, brake system, and other minor work. I'm no gear head. I was hoping this would be a great place to learn and meet those in the area who would like to ride.

BMW4_zpsa2sof4le.jpg

Edited by mtd076

Welcome, Mike. Where are you located? This board is a wealth of information and is made up of a great bunch of like-minded folks that LOVE to ride.

Welcome, Mike. Where are you located? This board is a wealth of information and is made up of a great bunch of like-minded folks that LOVE to ride.

I'm currently in Lambertville, NJ but moving up the road to Titusville. I'm looking forward to learning. Where should I start?

Hi,

Looks like a great deal!

Think I see an aftermarket shock in front,always a good upgrade and many can be rebuilt unlike the BMW stock units.

Those lights look like Hella FF50's,great lights and take a commonly available H7 bulb.

At you bike age and mileage(which is low for its age)look up HES wiring replacement,so that won't leave you stranded somewhere.

http://www.jvbproductions.com/DVD_Info_Sales.html

This guy,who is on this site makes excellent DIY repair/upkeep videos and lots of good tips on his website.

I had a 95 RS,great bikes.

JR356

Welcome,one of the better sport tourers out there.

Since it has been on the lot "a while", I'd do a 12k/annual service on it.

Then you have a baseline for a good starting point.

There are all kinds of potential needs to be done.

Was the alternator belt changed at 36k, HES, brakes flushed,

TPS/valves, how old are the tires, find some luggage, all fluids/filters...

You have made a really nice purchase.

You got a great price.

$inking $ome money into part$ will prevent mo$t on the road failure$, IMO.

At 50k, the shocks are poor, at best, if stock.

Hagon makes some nice ones that wont bu$t the bank.

A manual like Haynes/Clymer has most info, but some errors too.

GEt one and peruse it, then look on-line for procedures, then do 'em.

You can do all the above in a day w/the knowledge and tools.

Best wishes.

Hi,

Looks like a great deal!

Think I see an aftermarket shock in front,always a good upgrade and many can be rebuilt unlike the BMW stock units.

Those lights look like Hella FF50's,great lights and take a commonly available H7 bulb.

At you bike age and mileage(which is low for its age)look up HES wiring replacement,so that won't leave you stranded somewhere.

http://www.jvbproductions.com/DVD_Info_Sales.html

This guy,who is on this site makes excellent DIY repair/upkeep videos and lots of good tips on his website.

I had a 95 RS,great bikes.

JR356

Thank you for providing the link and valuable information. I'm sending away for the materials. I hate to admit it but I know very little about the bike accessories. Thanks again for your help. I'm excited about getting it on the road.

BMW5_zpsrhoamsrn.jpg

BMW6_zps1w6bgiq9.jpg

BMW2_zpstcwgfmfv.jpg

20170415_221315_zpsmhcxxxax.jpg

Edited by mtd076
I am just across the river near Lake Nockamixon.

Yes, you are less than 40 minutes away from me. I'm a teacher and off this summer for the most part. Maybe we can ride!

Welcome from Maryland. I have a 95 R1100RS and love it!!I'm sure you'll enjoy it

Ed

Thanks! Today, I unwrapped my 91 Vulcan 750. It started right up. I have a feeling the BMW will be my transportation to work.

Welcome,one of the better sport tourers out there.

Since it has been on the lot "a while", I'd do a 12k/annual service on it.

Then you have a baseline for a good starting point.

There are all kinds of potential needs to be done.

Was the alternator belt changed at 36k, HES, brakes flushed,

TPS/valves, how old are the tires, find some luggage, all fluids/filters...

You have made a really nice purchase.

You got a great price.

$inking $ome money into part$ will prevent mo$t on the road failure$, IMO.

At 50k, the shocks are poor, at best, if stock.

Hagon makes some nice ones that wont bu$t the bank.

A manual like Haynes/Clymer has most info, but some errors too.

GEt one and peruse it, then look on-line for procedures, then do 'em.

You can do all the above in a day w/the knowledge and tools.

Best wishes.

Thank you for taking the time to send such a thoughtful response. While the dealership has been over the bike I will still take your advice on the 12K service. From what I've collected thus far I may be able to do some of the work myself. Do I need specialized tools?

If so, where can I get them?

Yes, you are less than 40 minutes away from me. I'm a teacher and off this summer for the most part. Maybe we can ride!

That is a sweet looking RS!

We should try and get together.

Have you looked at the UN Rally forum yet? If you can make it it is well worth it. You will meet many members from all over the country.

Link to UN thread

Edited by ltljohn

Have you looked at the UN Rally forum yet? If you can make it it is well worth it. You will meet many members from all over the country.

Link to UN thread

The Rally is eleven hours from here. When are you going? Lots of choices. Totally overwhelming lol.

Edited by mtd076

Link to UN thread

The Rally is eleven hours from here. When are you going? Lots of choices. Totally overwhelming lol.

PM sent

You'll need a BMW oil filter wrench, or one of the copies.

I always liked the OEM, just fit w/no issues, YMMV.

Try Beemer Boneyard for service items, tools.

The brakes are straightforward, read up.

Some like speed bleeders, others don't.

Use cardboard, make a rough diagram of the bike.

When you remove screws to take off tupperware, put screws in appropriate place on/in diagram.

Read up on manometers for balancing.

Home made are inexpensive, just tubing/yardstick/fluid.

I use a Carb Tune, I don't like messing w/fluids. If I don't sell it at Maggie Valley I'll post it here.

No fluids, or electrics, small, portable, works great.

Otherwise, just metric wrenches, drivers, etc.

You already have nice valve covers on the bike, and luggage rails, so I'd look for luggage. (used/new i$ co$tly)

Seat, same thing. Ride it.

Depending on your amount/duration of rides, it might work.

A cheaper alternative to a new seat is an AirHawk pad .

Also consider an Alaska Leather cover.

We used these 2 in combination for hundreds of thousands of miles, can move bike to bike.

Headlight cover is a good idea. They are expen$ive to replace.

Best wishes.

Great bike! I regret selling my original RSL and would buy it back today if I could. Even at the ripe old age of 24, it can more than hold its own among the current crop of sport-tourers, and looks better than any of them.

Shiny Side Up

Hey Mike - WELCOME!!

Fine look'n motorcycle - she looks well taken care of so you may not have to do much. Enjoy!!

The folks on this board (not me...) can get you going in the right direction.