BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#985090 - 04/18/17 02:30 PM Interchangeability of used ZFE units
Boot Offline
Newer Member

Loc: Victoria, Australia
I'm starting a separate thread seeing as this is a separate subject from my original post that seems to point to a fried ZFE unit in my 2005 GS. Poking around online I have found several for sale but I see that they differ one from another. Mine is a 'ZFE (LOW)', so I've narrowed it down to that variant, but amongst those, there are various part numbers that seem to correlate with date of manufacture.

This page seems to suggest that I can drop a some of the later model ZFE's (up to 2008!) into my bike, replacing the 61357680890 unit. Is this really the case? Would I have to have the thing reprogrammed by a dealer to suit my bike? Would I be better sticking with exactly the same ZFE as mine to avoid trouble and/or reprogramming?

I've found a couple for sale that give me that choice (see image below). One looks like it slightly precedes mine but much the same, and the other is the model immediately after mine, but still 2005. Maybe I'd be better off going with a later iteration if it is indeed 'exchangeable retrospectively'. I'd be keen to buy one that might have fixed whatever weakness mine has succumbed to.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with swapping these things out?

[img]http://imgur.com/a/MojDv[/img]

#985102 - 04/18/17 03:39 PM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Boot
I'm starting a separate thread seeing as this is a separate subject from my original post that seems to point to a fried ZFE unit in my 2005 GS. Poking around online I have found several for sale but I see that they differ one from another. Mine is a 'ZFE (LOW)', so I've narrowed it down to that variant, but amongst those, there are various part numbers that seem to correlate with date of manufacture.

This page seems to suggest that I can drop a some of the later model ZFE's (up to 2008!) into my bike, replacing the 61357680890 unit. Is this really the case? Would I have to have the thing reprogrammed by a dealer to suit my bike? Would I be better sticking with exactly the same ZFE as mine to avoid trouble and/or reprogramming?

I've found a couple for sale that give me that choice (see image below). One looks like it slightly precedes mine but much the same, and the other is the model immediately after mine, but still 2005. Maybe I'd be better off going with a later iteration if it is indeed 'exchangeable retrospectively'. I'd be keen to buy one that might have fixed whatever weakness mine has succumbed to.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with swapping these things out?

[img]http://imgur.com/a/MojDv[/img]

Afternoon Boot

I don't have any first hand experience as the couple that I have worked with that were (suspected) bad I sent to the dealer as a new (or replacement) ZFE would probably need to be programmed into the bike that it was installed in.

Most BMW 1200 electronics need to be programed into the bike by a dealer for the bike's other electronics to accept it. (at least I don't think a replacement ZFE is just a plug & play item)-- The dash module & fueling computer definitely needs to be programmed into the bike so the ZFE & other electronics fully interface with them.

#985149 - 04/19/17 12:04 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
Boot Offline
Newer Member

Morning dirtrider.

What you say makes sense. I was thinking that it'd have to be the case if units from 2008 are theoretically compatible with my 2005 bike, because by 2007 it was an entirely different braking system, for one thing.

So if/when I pick one up, I'll expect to have the thing re-educated by a dealer.

Looking at the labels on the ZFE's, I suspect that they give them a new part number when the OEM firmware is updated, but that's all that has actually changed. They say 'HW: C2', which I take as C2 hardware, then underneath 'SW: 3.0.0' or whatever, meaning same hardware, different firmware. Given that a dealer can and probably will already have flashed this to a newer version anyway, a lot of the variations in part numbers are trivial.

I could be wrong, but I'll update this thread with whatever happens. I'll try to first find some poor unsuspecting owner of an earlier 1200GS and convince him to be a temporary organ donor for my bike. If I plug a working ZFE in and most or all of my problems go away, I'll know I'm on the right track.

#985167 - 04/19/17 08:18 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Morning Boot

One thing that has changed is the power outlet amp protection (those are controlled by the ZFE). The early power outlets were protected at 5 amps & the later ones at 10 amps.

#985168 - 04/19/17 09:04 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
Boot Offline
Newer Member

Evening dirtrider.

Interesting. Hopefully that difference won't matter too much in practical terms. I have the outlet under the seat hardwired with an inline fuse anyway. I never use the other one because I can never remember where it is or find it when I halfheartedly look for it. Pathetic, I know. No Sat Nav for me. I'm stuck in the paper map era, which helps me get lost, which I kind of enjoy. Sometimes.

#985169 - 04/19/17 09:21 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

Evening dirtrider.

Interesting. Hopefully that difference won't matter too much in practical terms. I have the outlet under the seat hardwired with an inline fuse anyway. I never use the other one because I can never remember where it is or find it when I halfheartedly look for it. Pathetic, I know. No Sat Nav for me. I'm stuck in the paper map era, which helps me get lost, which I kind of enjoy. Sometimes.

Morning Boot

It shouldn't make any difference as even at 10 amps that is too low to run most tire air pumps or 2 sets of heated gear. A lot of us here in the U.S. just wire the stock power ports to 15 amp fused battery direct.

I just mentioned it as that could account for the part number difference.

I gave up on paper maps years ago as they are just too difficult to hold & use while riding at speed.

Long ago (before GPS) when my wife rode with me as pillion she would safety pin a map to the back of my riding jacket then be my navigator (kind of an early analog spousal GPS system)-- actually worked well as long as she stayed awake.

#985170 - 04/19/17 10:17 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
Boot Offline
Newer Member

I love the Wife Nav dirtrider. You should patent it. I hear you on the inconvenience of maps at speed too. I'm just kidding myself about them being better. They suck. I have to keep stopping to check my route. I used to have a transparent pouch on my tankbag, but I loaned it to a so-called friend who watched it blow off while he was riding and couldn't be bothered turning around to pick it up. Who need enemies?

By the way, what did you mean in the original post when you said there was a difference between bikes with onboard computers and those without? Which computer are you referring to?

#985171 - 04/19/17 10:34 AM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

By the way, what did you mean in the original post when you said there was a difference between bikes with onboard computers and those without? Which computer are you referring to?

Morning Boot

My BMW parts book shows a different ZFE for the 1200 bikes with onboard computer (fuel mileage computer, remaining range, etc).

You riders manual should have details on the onboard computer & it's operation (that should tell you if you have it or not)

#985179 - 04/19/17 01:16 PM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
Boot Offline
Newer Member

All my manual talks about is a 'Tripmaster' that gives me two tripmeters, and residual range. I don't have fuel consumption or anything like that, so I'm guessing that this means I don't have the onboard computer you're referring to dirtrider. I didn't even know they were an option in my model year.

#985180 - 04/19/17 01:28 PM Re: Interchangeability of used ZFE units [Re: Boot]
dirtrider Offline
The Oracle

All my manual talks about is a 'Tripmaster' that gives me two tripmeters, and residual range. I don't have fuel consumption or anything like that, so I'm guessing that this means I don't have the onboard computer you're referring to dirtrider. I didn't even know they were an option in my model year.

Morning Boot

I'm not sure what options were available in what countries or when certain options were phased into production.

If you have the part number on your old ZFE then maybe we can tell something.

Below is from the BMW parts book--

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >