IGNORED

Suddenly no blinkers, tripmeter, horn, brake light, servo-assist or ABS

Boot

SHORT version: After sitting in garage for 10 days, ’05 GS suddenly has no blinkers, tripmeter, horn, brake light, servo-assist or ABS. The speedometer works. Battery and brake switches are good.

LONG version: My 2005 GS sat in the garage for a week or two recently. I switched it on, and for the first time ever it had no whizzy servo sound and a fast flashing brake warning light. Went for a ride to discover no servo-assist or ABS brakes. Rode some more, but no change. I checked both brake micro-switches very carefully, bypassing them and even tracing the continuity of their wiring back to the ZFE. I spent a week researching how to ditch the whole servo-ABS setup and psyching myself up to do it, but just before getting stuck into the job I realised that there were no blinkers, tripmeters, horn, or brake light either. So presumably the source of the trouble is not in the brake system but the electrics.

I’ve pulled and re-seated just about every connector on the bike, including the big ones on the Motronic, the ZFE and brake brick. Everything looks pristine. I’ve cleaned the big engine ‘earth’ connection. I’ve checked the harness at stress points for any obvious trauma, and tried jiggling it while pulling the brake lever to see if the brake light might flicker. Nothing. The battery is an Odyssey that is kept in good health with a solar charger. I’ve cleaned the terminals, charged it up more, jumped it with the car battery. I’ve reset the TPS twice. I’ve disconnected my HID ballasts and the horn while I was at it. No other electrical accessories are fitted except for iridium plugs.

In the two years prior to this happening the only hint of trouble has been an occasional but persistent hesitation when yanking the throttle open in top gear. I’ve assumed it was just dirty injectors because it goes away when I use good injector cleaner (but reappears soon afterwards). Whether this is related through a failing electrical component sending noise into the system or something, I have no idea.

The bike has only done about 43,000 kms (27,000 mi) and lives in a garage, but the air is full of salt from breaking surf nearby and everything, including the GS, corrodes. The air had been a bit more humid than usual prior to this problem. I never pressure-wash it though, and haven’t washed it recently.

I tracked down someone who was posting in the forums about the same problems back in 2012, but he ‘totalled’ his bike before solving the mystery.

Any brilliant ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Have you checked all the fuses and relays that might affect these users? Sounds like a power issue to all of these.

Afternoon boot

You have a LOT going on there so basically without a GS-911 or dealer computer we are in the guessing mode.

About all the things that you mention either run through the ZFE module or are powered by the same circuits as the ZFE module.

I guess the place that I would start is to verify that you have full-time 12 volts on the large red wires going to the ZFE, brake controller , & dash module.

Then verify that you have 12 volts to the green wires on those same modules with the key on.

You might also try a 1 hour battery disconnect, then re-connect, then do a new TPS relearn. (TPS re-learn has nothing to do with your problem though)

When you by-passed the ABS brake switches did you do it correctly (they are normally closed & go open when you pull the brake lever or push on the brake pedal)

Have you checked all the fuses and relays that might affect these users? Sounds like a power issue to all of these.

Afternoon 041100S

Where are these fuses & relays located on the 1200GS as there is no fuse box.

Interesting about a GS, so nothing is protected by fuses?

Afternoon 041100S

Nothing by fuses, some things are protected by special electronics in the ZFE (central chassis computer).

dirtrider,

What a pain, why would anyone buy this GS? No, power just buy a very expensive ZFE, similar to the ABS pump!

dirtrider,

What a pain, why would anyone buy this GS? No, power just buy a very expensive ZFE, similar to the ABS pump!

Evening 041100S

You will have to ask the thousands & thousands of riders that buy & love the 1200 GS (myself included).

I guess I don't know about the pain thing, to me it is better than fuses, if a circuit goes down the rider just shuts the key off then turns it back on & as long as the problem is gone the ZFE resets that circuit automatically.

Sure the ZFE can fail but not many have. I have seen (a lot) more BMW 1200 ABS controllers fail.

Thanks heaps for the ideas dirtrider. I've checked out the voltages at the three points you suggested and everything is as you say. 12 volts full-time on the big red wires and 12 on the greens with the key on. Also did the 1 hour disconnect and TPS relearn. No change, unfortunately. I can hear the throttle servos moving, but not the brakes.

I'm assuming that the fuel tank and its connectors don't need to be back in place for a valid result? In other words, the ZFE isn't registering an open circuit on the fuel pump and controller, and stumbling at that point? I'd hate to have to hook all that up again every time I mess around with something underneath it.

Yes, I did know that the brake switches are closed by default, so I substituted them for a piece of wire at the connector. I also verified that the switches themselves were working correctly with a multimeter. My fluid reservoirs are full, of course.

I'm really hoping to not have to buy a GS-911 or take it to a dealer (I live far from the nearest one, etc.). Anything else I can try? Surely it's not the ZFE itself, failing spontaneously while sitting in the garage?

Thanks heaps for the ideas dirtrider. I've checked out the voltages at the three points you suggested and everything is as you say. 12 volts full-time on the big red wires and 12 on the greens with the key on. Also did the 1 hour disconnect and TPS relearn. No change, unfortunately. I can hear the throttle servos moving, but not the brakes.

I'm assuming that the fuel tank and its connectors don't need to be back in place for a valid result? In other words, the ZFE isn't registering an open circuit on the fuel pump and controller, and stumbling at that point? I'd hate to have to hook all that up again every time I mess around with something underneath it.

Yes, I did know that the brake switches are closed by default, so I substituted them for a piece of wire at the connector. I also verified that the switches themselves were working correctly with a multimeter. My fluid reservoirs are full, of course.

I'm really hoping to not have to buy a GS-911 or take it to a dealer (I live far from the nearest one, etc.). Anything else I can try? Surely it's not the ZFE itself, failing spontaneously while sitting in the garage?

Morning Boot

On the fuel tank/FPC being connected?-- My guess is that is makes no difference but I haven't ever tried to test the systems with the tank removed so before totally condemning expensive stuff I guess I would try setting the tank back on & connecting it just to be darn sure.

On the ZFE failing?-- Yes, it's possible for it to fail sitting there IF you used a battery charger that doesn't limit voltage. According to BMW anything over 15 volts charging needs the battery disconnected from the motorcycle electronics. So a sulfation removing battery charger (those can reach 15.8 volts) & possibly your solar charger could have damaged the ZFE. (I'm not saying that it did damage it but it is possible)

I seriously doubt that a single over 15 volt hit would kill the ZFE but possible many over 15 volt hits could damage the ZFE electronics.

I use a solar system to charge batteries in my remote barn but don't use a solar charger (due to possible voltage regulation concerns) so I use a 110 volt ac solar system (we run our houses on 110v ac here) then use that AC to power a very controlled DC output smart battery charger.

Evening dirtrider! You're absolutely right about trying it with the tank back on just in case. I'll do that.

Also, that's very interesting about the high voltage situation. My little solar charger is putting out 19 volts or so, but it's such a tiny current that I never imagined it would make it past the battery, which sucks up all it can give and hardly bats a millivolt. Who knows though? You've got me thinking.

A neighbour with an electrical bent popped over this afternoon and checked it all out with me, going over the wiring diagram like a pro. He was satisfied that everything is getting power that should. He is suspicious of the ZFE like us. As you pointed out, all my malfunctions are things that it controls. We even pulled the ZFE apart to have a look, but you can't see much except the back of the circuit board and a few resistors.

So I've started another thread about ZFE interchangeability, with an eye to replacing mine at some point with a close match. It's a tricky prospect because I'm not exactly confident it will be money well spent. Wish I knew someone around here with the same bike...

Thanks for the thoughts up to this point.

Evening dirtrider! You're absolutely right about trying it with the tank back on just in case. I'll do that.

Also, that's very interesting about the high voltage situation. My little solar charger is putting out 19 volts or so, but it's such a tiny current that I never imagined it would make it past the battery, which sucks up all it can give and hardly bats a millivolt. Who knows though? You've got me thinking.

A neighbour with an electrical bent popped over this afternoon and checked it all out with me, going over the wiring diagram like a pro. He was satisfied that everything is getting power that should. He is suspicious of the ZFE like us. As you pointed out, all my malfunctions are things that it controls. We even pulled the ZFE apart to have a look, but you can't see much except the back of the circuit board and a few resistors.

So I've started another thread about ZFE interchangeability, with an eye to replacing mine at some point with a close match. It's a tricky prospect because I'm not exactly confident it will be money well spent. Wish I knew someone around here with the same bike...

Thanks for the thoughts up to this point.

Afternoon Boot

Per the other post I'm not sure about just bolting another ZFE in & having it function. There is also a difference in ZFE (Central Chassis Electronics) between a bike with a Onboard computer & without Onboard computer so you have to watch that matchup also.