IGNORED

Shoei Helmet...Scalp Pain!

BigTup

I've had a Shoei GT Air for a couple of years, and I like it. Lately I've been getting pain on the top of my scalp. It's enough that I want to stop and take my helmet off. This is new. The only changes recently is a new bike, and a new Sena U10 Bluetooth system. Anyone else having this?

Bill_Walker

It's a new one to me, but I'd look for something that got rearranged inside the helmet during the installation of the Sena.

I've had a Shoei GT Air for a couple of years, and I like it. Lately I've been getting pain on the top of my scalp. It's enough that I want to stop and take my helmet off. This is new. The only changes recently is a new bike, and a new Sena U10 Bluetooth system. Anyone else having this?

Ahhhh.....that sounds very familiar! I have a Neotec, and one year, for almost a full season, I had that pain on the top right scalp, somewhat above the right temple! Used that helmet for a full year before without anything like that. After about 100 miles or so, on every rides, no matter how I position the helmet, the pain gets to be, as you said, literally unbearable. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out the problem, but I went with the pain for several months. I went over the liner very carefully, looking for some stitching seam that might create a pressure point, but drew blank. Then I recalled that the pain had started after I had taken all the liners out of the helmet to wash them! So, I took them all out again, and carefully put them back in place, and bingo.....no more pains! I had never figured out what it was that I had not positioned correctly to cause that pressure point, but it's definitely gone now.

The newer Shoei liners have bare foam up against the styrofoam lining.

In time, the bare foam ( not protect d by a fabric cover) can wear out or abrade against the surface of the styrofoam.

I would remove the top liner and look at the foam to see if it's compressed or worn away.

You can replace the liner with a new one IF NEEDED.

you can also check for a speaker cross over wire in that area.

Are you bald? Perhaps the helmet foam is irritating your bare skin. Maybe try using a piece of microfiber towel inside the helmet to protect the bare scalp.

Regards, Ron C.

Helmet liner/skull cap.

I like the ones from LDComfort.

Moisture wicking and will keep helmet liner clean.

Have you removed helmet padding and washed it?,mild soap like baby shampoo will help.

Rinse out soap well and air dry.

There are YouTube videos as well as web search will turn up instructions.

JR356

Helmet liner/skull cap.

I like the ones from LDComfort.

Moisture wicking and will keep helmet liner clean.

Have you removed helmet padding and washed it?,mild soap like baby shampoo will help.

Rinse out soap well and air dry.

There are YouTube videos as well as web search will turn up instructions.

JR356

With the problem described by the OP, skull cap doesn't help! I know, because I had tried that, before I got rational and found the real issue!! :)

Shiny Side Up
The newer Shoei liners have bare foam up against the styrofoam lining.

In time, the bare foam ( not protected by a fabric cover) can wear out or abrade against the surface of the styrofoam.

Yes - and the stuff starts falling out in little pieces...

Really sucks in MHO....

I thought it might be electrical current from the Sena, but one day it happened while the battery was dead. No cords crossing that area. I will try washing the liner.

Don't have to wash the liners, but take it out then putting it back in carefully. Of course, washing them is always a good idea! :) I am very sure that you and I had the same problem. The pain is really terrible, and if it wasn't for the fact that the helmet had been very comfortable for the prior year, I would have blamed the issue on the helmet!