BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#984152 - 04/06/17 09:27 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: TyTass

and then you arrive in Hell … I mean … Helen! The recommended restaurant on the route is Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast, lunch, and unbelievable German pastries! However, just down the street, the Troll Tavern serves up some typical German pub-grub with outdoor seating along a beautiful river.

and just on the other side of the river adjacent to the Helendorf River Inn is Bodensee, for great German fare. eat
K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#984153 - 04/06/17 09:34 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Originally Posted By: TyTass
..Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast....

Try the Pregel & Lox on the breakfast menu. lick
K. Greiff
M. Jagger

#984178 - 04/06/17 01:18 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: greiffster]
Jake Offline
Madcap

Loc: South Florida
Originally Posted By: greiffster
and just on the other side of the river adjacent to the Helendorf River Inn is Bodensee, for great German fare. eat

+1

#984202 - 04/06/17 06:37 PM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: Jake]
TyTass Offline

Loc: VA BEACH VA
Originally Posted By: Jake
Originally Posted By: greiffster

+1

Rindsrouladen, rotkohl, spätzle, mushroom gravy ... Mmmmmmm!

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca

#984925 - 04/16/17 11:08 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]
TyTass Offline

Loc: VA BEACH VA

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen_A (136-259)
[AC/DC, 1981]

Hopefully you passed on the Bavarian pretzels, pastries, spaetzle, and gravies because you’re going to need to be alert shortly after leaving town. The Richard B Russell is a twisty and highly scenic parkway ride. This shorter route bypasses the other famous moto roads in the area (US-129, Wolf Pen Gap, Hwy 60). This is the route to ride if you do find yourself without time to finish the others. This route does take you to the top of Brasstown Bald to reveal a beautiful panorama, when not in the clouds. The journey back up to NC is more scenic than technical, but still enjoyable. Just west of Franklin is Wayah Rd! Wayah is a favorite for the SE Crew. Very little traffic, but lots of lakes, trout streams, and twisties! Oh by the way, there is a retired Atlanta cop who has a cabin just off of it. Watch out! He may follow you back to the resort, lights a-flashin’ and give you a scare (just ask Shannie Mae, TN_R11_Girl). Finish the route with a short bit of Moonshiner 28 before arriving at the resort.

"The fool, with all his other faults, has this also, he is always getting ready to live." Seneca

#985184 - 04/19/17 09:17 AM Re: UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes [Re: TyTass]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen_B (171-294)
[AC/DC, 1981]

This route is going to require your undivided attention, so hopefully you avoided a food coma by passing on the carb-rich options of German fare. Just outside of town is the Richard B Russell parkway, which is twisty and with beautiful overlooks. However, unlike the shorter route A, this route follows with “The Loop;” what moto enthusiasts out of Hotlanta call Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy 180), Hwy 60 and US-19. Wolf Pen Gap is an uber-twisty back road, while Hwy 60 has you carving along the edge of a plateau, and US-19 sends you up and over Blood Mountain … two lanes on the ascent with really big cambers makes for some exciting riding. The journey back up to NC is more scenic than technical, but still enjoyable. Just west of Franklin NC is Wayah Rd, beloved by riders in the SE for the twisties and scenery. However, see route A for the warning about a cantankerous, retired LEO who lives there part-time, or simply seek him out at the UN. Finish the route with a short bit of Moonshiner 28 just before arriving at the resort.

K. Greiff
M. Jagger

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7