IGNORED

UnRally XVI 2017 - Roads to Ride and Routes

TyTass

Thanks, Bill. A couple of these roads (River & Norton), I didn't even know about, as well. We had Walnut Creek on our longer "Rock the Pisgah" routes, but Ellijay Rd (another great road) kept the mileage in a better range for those routes.

But thanks again for contributing your knowledge. Feel free to just continue to add on. This thread isn't only about our pre-planned routes.

UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_B (136-261)

[The Clash, 1982]

Preparing to start this journey back to the resort will be your cue to fire up a rocking playlist. Once you’re ready to rock and roll, head west on the BRP and again exit at Hwy 215. This time, head toward Rosman. The Parkway Rd. side of Hwy 215 is very different from the Lake Logan Rd. side you traversed earlier. It is well-paved, beginning with a few sweepers before tightening up a bit. There’s a calm middle area with a store/gas station that makes you think the fun might be over, but it isn’t. The road dives into a tight, twisty section before leading you out to US-64. A short drive on US-64 leads you to Silversteen Rd., yet another largely unknown road full of fun curves. It leads to Hwy 281, Canada Rd, which has a combination of tight stuff and sweepers. Hwy 107 gets you to Cullowhee Mountain Rd, which you’ll leave shortly after to take Tilley Creek Rd to climb up out of the valley. This becomes Ellijay Rd as it plunges into the next valley. Using US-23 to bypass Franklin (unless you hear the ABC store calling you), Sanderstown Rd. gets you to the middle third of Moonshiner 28. That section undulates, twists, turns … and it RAWKS! Continue north on “Moonshiner 28” to return to the resort.

i-KNxW9Bx-XL.png

steve.foote
Thanks, Bill. A couple of these roads (River & Norton), I didn't even know about, as well. We had Walnut Creek on our longer "Rock the Pisgah" routes, but Ellijay Rd (another great road) kept the mileage in a better range for those routes.

But thanks again for contributing your knowledge. Feel free to just continue to add on. This thread isn't only about our pre-planned routes.

Roadscholar is the definitive authority on all things travelable in that area. He's probably forgotten more roads there than we will ever discover. Chuck Norris consults Bill whenever he's there.

roadscholar

Roadscholar is the definitive authority on all things travelable in that area. He's probably forgotten more roads there than we will ever discover. Chuck Norris consults Bill whenever he's there.

LOL, Yeah Chuck called he wants his compass back. :grin:

Steever we've had some good times ridin around in those hills (along with a few dozen others).. what banjo music? :dontknow:

Craig happy to assist, will look at some more.. any desire for some forest road forays or just pavement?

Bob I think you'll like that loop, if you can figure out how to tie it to Old Cullowhee and Ellijay Roads, even better.

Edited by roadscholar
roadscholar

If you're in the Highlands-Cashiers area here's a couple other nice loops. The outer loop I prefer going clockwise because you're going down 107 and up 28 (although that section of 28 is pretty amazing in either direction) but 107 flows better that way. Plus much of 28 is steep and tight and maybe more fun under power, and it has at least one spot that tends to get overcooked going down (we've rescued other riders well down in the woods). There's also a small side loop (Blue Valley Rd/Clear Creek Rd) thru a semi-residential area that's pretty and slower paced although not as exhilarating as the corresponding 28. The main issue with this big loop is traffic, choosing the right time and day is key to enjoying it's full potential.

The inner loop is a great little road with almost no traffic connecting Cashiers and Highlands down into and back out of the Chatooga valley with great views of Whiteside Mtn's rock walls. There is a short section of dirt (1/4 to 1/2 mile) with a little washboard but is hard packed with embedded gravel and would be no problem for a touring bike at a slower pace. The spur that turns south goes to the old iron bridge some of you have seen photos of over the years (many BMWST'ers have had lunch on the rocks in that river). I just don't know I'd recommend taking a big streetbike down there unless you're fairly competent with it. The first half is gravel with some switchbacks but the bottom is single lane paved nirvana, i.e. tempting : ) You can continue east on out to 107 but it's about 2/3 gravel also and mostly level.

The Chatooga Triangle

Edited by roadscholar

UN_XVI – Rock the Pisgah_C (157-282)

[The Clash, 1982]

This return route will definitely have you “Rocking the Pisgah” ridge. A short westerly stint on the BRP and the US-276 exit towards Brevard starts your journey past a number of waterfalls! If there has been a lot of recent rain, all of the falls on the route can really put on a show! US-276 is a great road but can get crowded at times, especially as you near the beautiful Looking Glass Falls. There’s easy parking and no walk is necessary. After skirting Brevard, a decent road takes you to a parking lot in Dupont State Park, where three falls are reachable by foot. Hooker Falls is a short stroll from the bikes. Triple Falls is quite a hike uphill but simply spectacular. High Falls is yet further by foot, or you can ride directly to its own parking lot. Movie buffs may recognize these falls from “Last of the Mohicans” and/or “The Hunger Games” series. This area is District 12 after all! A nice skirt along the east fork of the French Broad (River, that is) takes you to US-64 in Rosman. US-64, leads you to Kim Miller Rd., followed shortly after by Slick Fisher Rd. These fun back roads eventually put you out on Hwy 281, Canada Rd. The path home from there is as described in the previous two return routes.

i-dDGDj4M-XL.png

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen (123)

[AC/DC, 1981]

Helen GA is in no way a Hell, unless you despise a little good-natured, German kitsch and excellent German fare. Helen is a little town in northern GA whose German-descended inhabitants decided to rebuild the town in a Bavarian theme after WWII. Well, there’re good and bad German restaurants and the town can get busy with tourists (mostly on weekends), but the roads getting there always make it worth it. Besides, we don’t send folks to bad restaurants.

Leaving the resort, you’ll head down the entirety of Moonshiner 28. Between Franklin and Highlands on 28/64 you’ll pass several waterfalls, two of which are waypoints on the route. Cullasaja Falls has a tiny, paved pull-out on the right that is immediately after a sharp, blind, left-hander. Bridal Veil Falls is closer to Highlands, on your left and is paved around behind the falls. After town, you’ll plunge down the final third of Moonshiner 28. The curves get tighter as you descend into Georgia, until suddenly your GPS is screaming at you to make a very hard right onto Warwoman Rd., which you can’t see at all. Don’t worry, there’s a church about a mile or so past where you can turn around. Warwoman rocks just as much as the name implies. You’ll then weave thru and past a couple small towns, skirt a reservoir, and then a state park with a cool double waterfall (Anna Ruby), and then you arrive in Hell … I mean … Helen! The recommended restaurant on the route is Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast, lunch, and unbelievable German pastries! However, just down the street, the Troll Tavern serves up some typical German pub-grub with outdoor seating along a beautiful river.

i-CP994dF-XL.png

Edited by TyTass

and then you arrive in Hell … I mean … Helen! The recommended restaurant on the route is Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast, lunch, and unbelievable German pastries! However, just down the street, the Troll Tavern serves up some typical German pub-grub with outdoor seating along a beautiful river.

and just on the other side of the river adjacent to the Helendorf River Inn is Bodensee, for great German fare. :eat:

..Hofer’s Bakery, which serves up hearty breakfast....

Try the Pregel & Lox on the breakfast menu. :lick:

and just on the other side of the river adjacent to the Helendorf River Inn is Bodensee, for great German fare. :eat:

+1

+1

Rindsrouladen, rotkohl, spätzle, mushroom gravy ... Mmmmmmm!

• 2 weeks later...

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen_A (136-259)

[AC/DC, 1981]

Hopefully you passed on the Bavarian pretzels, pastries, spaetzle, and gravies because you’re going to need to be alert shortly after leaving town. The Richard B Russell is a twisty and highly scenic parkway ride. This shorter route bypasses the other famous moto roads in the area (US-129, Wolf Pen Gap, Hwy 60). This is the route to ride if you do find yourself without time to finish the others. This route does take you to the top of Brasstown Bald to reveal a beautiful panorama, when not in the clouds. The journey back up to NC is more scenic than technical, but still enjoyable. Just west of Franklin is Wayah Rd! Wayah is a favorite for the SE Crew. Very little traffic, but lots of lakes, trout streams, and twisties! Oh by the way, there is a retired Atlanta cop who has a cabin just off of it. Watch out! He may follow you back to the resort, lights a-flashin’ and give you a scare (just ask Shannie Mae, TN_R11_Girl). Finish the route with a short bit of Moonshiner 28 before arriving at the resort.

i-KgdbxLJ-XL.png

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen_B (171-294)

[AC/DC, 1981]

This route is going to require your undivided attention, so hopefully you avoided a food coma by passing on the carb-rich options of German fare. Just outside of town is the Richard B Russell parkway, which is twisty and with beautiful overlooks. However, unlike the shorter route A, this route follows with “The Loop;” what moto enthusiasts out of Hotlanta call Wolf Pen Gap (Hwy 180), Hwy 60 and US-19. Wolf Pen Gap is an uber-twisty back road, while Hwy 60 has you carving along the edge of a plateau, and US-19 sends you up and over Blood Mountain … two lanes on the ascent with really big cambers makes for some exciting riding. The journey back up to NC is more scenic than technical, but still enjoyable. Just west of Franklin NC is Wayah Rd, beloved by riders in the SE for the twisties and scenery. However, see route A for the warning about a cantankerous, retired LEO who lives there part-time, or simply seek him out at the UN. Finish the route with a short bit of Moonshiner 28 just before arriving at the resort.

i-zG5vSJc-XL.png

• 2 weeks later...

UN_XVI - Highway to Helen_C (187-310)

[AC/DC, 1981]

As with routes A & B of this group, a food coma is not advised. Again, this route also begins with the twisty and scenic Richard B Russell. This route also does part of The Loop, that the B route covers completely. However, on this route you’ll head south on US-19 and go over Blood Mountain and enjoy those two, well-cambered lanes on the ascent in the other direction from route B. Next you’ll hook up with Hwy-60, passing by Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Camp (praised by Neil Peart of Rush as a must stay place for the moto traveler). Continuing on Hwy-60, rather than taking Wolf Pen Gap, the curves open up a bit more and lean more towards sweepers. The remainder of the journey back to NC is marked by back roads, tip-toeing around Blairsville, so as not to disturb the “Blairsville Witch.” (Ask the long-term SE Crew or simply await a haunting for “BW.”) After a few more back roads, US-64 takes you to Wayah Rd., just west of Franklin. Wayah is a favorite for the SE Crew. Little traffic, lakes, trout streams, and twisties! However, see Route A for the warning about a cantankerous, retired LEO who lives there part-time. Finish the route with a short bit of Moonshiner 28 just before arriving at the resort.

i-67QFzrc-XL.png

OK Folks, so there are the Sport Touring Routes for UNRally XVI.

The digital versions of these routes will be made available later and in another thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I'm just going blind, but I couldn't locate the maps for your "Rockin’ Down the Skyway" routes. Please let me know what page they're on if they're here, as I've paged through about 5 times looking for them. I should ask - are these routes street bike or off-road?

Also, any idea when the digital versions will be available?

Thanks in advance - Al

I'm not sure if I'm just going blind, but I couldn't locate the maps for your "Rockin’ Down the Skyway" routes. Please let me know what page they're on if they're here, as I've paged through about 5 times looking for them. I should ask - are these routes street bike or off-road?

Also, any idea when the digital versions will be available?

Thanks in advance - Al

You don't see them because some idiot forgot to post them! I don't know who that would be, of course. :dontknow:

Thanks. At least I know someone is reading the routes thoroughly! I'll get right on posting that series. :revit:

This thread covers the Sport Touring routes ONLY (which means paved roads only). There will be Dual Sport routes, but they are not going to be described in level of detail we did here.

As for the digital versions, links to both the Sport Touring and Dual Sport routes will be posted in a separate thread a little closer to the event (we like to minimize exposure of that level of detail).

Thanks for the clarification Craig. Looking at the work you've put into this event, I would never criticize 1 small oversight like this.

Since we will be heading out from the frozen NW with Lester, I was looking at options for riding into Fontana Village using some of your recommended routes and couldn't find the maps for "Rockin down the Skyway". I tried putting them into Basecamp from your overview map, but it was showing some dashed roads where I thought your route went, so decided I'd better wait for a more detailed map or the digital version. Some of us OCD types spend more time planning our rides than the actual rides take.

I'm really looking forward to the gathering and riding some of the twisties that are available in the area.

UN_XVI – Rockin' Down the Skyway (129)

[Doobie Bros., 1971]

There won’t be any “Highway Blues” once you “Get your motor running” on this route! Our base leg to this route starts out with 50 miles of sweepers across the top of the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests, as both ridges come together and lend their charm to give us the name of the Cherohala Skyway. No cross traffic and amazing views will have you near moto nirvana as you twist and turn your way over to Tellico Plains. Stop for coffee or a snack, walk around, gas up, or else continue on route south via Hwy 68 and onto more sweepers. Pass through Ducktown, careful with that Highway Patrol with his eyes on you, and then drop down to Blue Ridge, GA, adding to your passport stamps! There you’ll have the chance to “Eat at Joe’s.” Joe’s BBQ that is, voted Best BBQ in GA in 2015!

i-MBG8HdD-XL.png

UN_XVI – Rockin' Down the Skyway_A (96.3-235)

[Doobie Bros., 1971]

After leaving Joe’s BBQ, you may be ready for the express route back to the resort. This is the shortest return leg in our tri-state adventure. Despite its diminutive stature, this leg is big on fun! A quick sprint through the Chattahoochee National Forest, via back roads up into NC. If you need alcohol back at the ranch, there’s an ABC Store on US-74 on the south side of Murphy, a short detour away. If you need a pick me up to finish the ride, Blue Mountain Coffee is a great location and home to some really tasty cookies and friendly natives. Then take to the back roads again, bypassing some boring section of US-74, until Andrews NC (don’t blink). From there you’ll start heading into the Nantahala Gorge before turning towards Robbinsville and on to the resort for the night(cap).

i-vNfTgB9-XL.png

UN_XVI – Rockin' Down the Skyway_B (134-263)

[Doobie Bros., 1971]

Second verse, same as the first! Well, almost …

A quick sprint through the Chattahoochee National Forest on some back roads, with a slight change from Route A as you head up to NC. A NW jog provides a great run up to the Hiawassee Dam. After the dam, the access road and then Joe Brown Hwy get really dam fun as you head to Murphy. If you need alcohol back at the ranch, there’s and ABC Store on US-74 on the south side of Murphy. If you need a pick me up to finish the ride, Blue Mountain Coffee is a great location and home to some really tasty cookies and friendly natives. Then take to the back roads again, bypassing some boring section of US-74, until Andrews NC (don’t blink). You’ll start heading into the Nantahala Gorge but will turn towards Robbinsville and on to the resort for an evening with friends.

i-QtS9ff9-XL.png

UN_XVI – Rockin' Down the Skyway_C (177-306)

[Doobie Bros., 1971]

After leaving Joe’s BBQ, you may be ready to explore other valley SW of the Skyway. The afternoon begins with a sweet little detour down into the quaint town of Elijay, GA, which could serve as an alternate lunch stop. From there you’ll head NW to a great moto road, Hwy 2 (Chatsworth Hwy), which passes Fort Mountain State Park. A combination of back roads and highways gets you back up to TN. You’ll past Lake Ocoee, and some great valley roads with lots of sweepers on up to Tellico Plains. Fuel up, top off the camelback, or whatever else you need. Upon leaving Tellico, Hwy 360 takes you “around the horn,” to Hwy 72, and then back through the Dragon and HellBender and on to the resort for another night of fantastic company.

i-n4sk9pQ-XL.png

"I'll get right on it ..." apparently meant "sometime tomorrow." :facepalm:

I should be posting the electronic routes in a week or so in a new post, but I'll also announce here so those following here will know.

We're getting very close, and I'm getting very excited.

greiffster
Thanks for the clarification Craig. Looking at the work you've put into this event, I would never criticize 1 small oversight like this.

Since we will be heading out from the frozen NW with Lester, I was looking at options for riding into Fontana Village using some of your recommended routes and couldn't find the maps for "Rockin down the Skyway". I tried putting them into Basecamp from your overview map, but it was showing some dashed roads where I thought your route went, so decided I'd better wait for a more detailed map or the digital version. Some of us OCD types spend more time planning our rides than the actual rides take.

I'm really looking forward to the gathering and riding some of the twisties that are available in the area.

Al,

What does your last leg into FVR look like? If you guys are coming in from the west, through Nashville, I've got a nice route I could send you. It starts in Clarksville and either by-passes Nashville or goes straight through on the slab. East of Nashville it jumps off to the secondary highways. The ride gets better and better until you end up on the Cherohala. :thumbsup: It's right at 300 miles (482 km ;) )

-mike

Great job with the routes, as always Craig. And yes I do read your posts.

Joe Brown Rd was covered with fresh gravel during START.

But I am sure by the time the Un rolls around the locals will have the road swept clean, or not. Lol

Also parts of Joyce Kilmer have been repaved or at least sprayed with new tar.

• 2 weeks later...
I understand that Bud is now an "experienced" hack pilot.

Still not true even though 2 months have gone by.

But I haven't 1. Hit anyone. 2. Scared by wife while she rode in the car. 3. Haven't run off the road on either side. :grin:

greiffster

Sandbagger....

Let me know if you plan on coming through Clarksville on the way over. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

As promised a long way back, the Route Information Booklet has been posted (see link below). This booklet is in PDF format and covers much of what has been posted in this thread and other information as well. For example, the written route direction (as copied from BaseCamp) is available for those who don't use a GPS.

UnRally XVI Route Information Booklet CLICK HERE

We are not printing copies for everyone. If you want a hard copy, you must print it yourself. And if you do, it is best to print it duplex (2 sided). Not only will that reduce the size of it to 23 sheets of paper, but that will format it such that each route will have it's 2 pages of information printed on the front and back of the same sheet of paper. That will be important if you wish to put a route in your tank bag map case.

Cheers! Looking forward to seeing you very soon!

Craig,

Once again you have gone above and beyond and provided a document worth saving for those of us that love riding in southwest NC!

Thank you! :clap:

Craig,

Once again you have gone above and beyond and provided a document worth saving for those of us that love riding in southwest NC!

It was a labor of love, I assure you. Matt and I authored and I produced this booklet specifically for folks of BMWST, for this UnRally. However, please feel free to keep and use for future reference. I only ask that you do not share it with anyone outside of our group.

This link to this booklet as well as the routes will be invalid when the event is over.

Craig,

It was a labor of love, I assure you. Matt and I authored and I produced this booklet specifically for folks of BMWST, for this UnRally. However, please feel free to keep and use for future reference. I only ask that you do not share it with anyone outside of our group.

This link to this booklet as well as the routes will be invalid when the event is over.

Thank you for the booklet. Great job Craig and Matt. See you all in few days.