BMWSportTouring BMWST DB
Page 26 of 27 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 >
Topic Options
#979369 - 01/31/17 07:50 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Bernie]
Bernie Offline

Loc: Jax, FL
Here is one from a gas burner mounted on steam boiler.

BMW-MOA, BMWOutriders
AMA, BMW-RA,

#984392 - 04/09/17 09:02 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Bernie]
Bernie Offline

Loc: Jax, FL
My new GPS.

BMW-MOA, BMWOutriders
AMA, BMW-RA,

#985193 - 04/19/17 09:53 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Boffin]
WBinDE Offline

Loc: Delaware
I'm having trouble with Google Photos as well. The link is really long (676 characters!) and many sites only accept links of 256 characters or less. So I use a Chrome plugin (goo.gl URL shortener) which adds an item to the context menu that allows me to generate and copy a shortened link. When I try to insert a picture it puts tags around the link but doesn't display the actual picture: [img]https://goo.gl/kKzO3P[/img]

The link works if you click on it, and it doesn't matter if I use the shortened URL or the full 676-character link to the photo: either one just posts a live link surrounded by the img tags. And since the img tags don't work, there's no reason not to just post the "bare" link because it works just as well: https://goo.gl/kKzO3P

I can see other photos inserted in (what I believe is) the same way, but not mine. Am I missing a step?

#985203 - 04/19/17 11:41 AM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: WBinDE]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Loc: Clarksville, Tennessee
Originally Posted By: WBinDE
I'm having trouble with Google Photos as well. The link is really long (676 characters!) and many sites only accept links of 256 characters or less. So I use a Chrome plugin (goo.gl URL shortener) which adds an item to the context menu that allows me to generate and copy a shortened link. When I try to insert a picture it puts tags around the link but doesn't display the actual picture: [img]https://goo.gl/kKzO3P[/img]

The link works if you click on it, and it doesn't matter if I use the shortened URL or the full 676-character link to the photo: either one just posts a live link surrounded by the img tags. And since the img tags don't work, there's no reason not to just post the "bare" link because it works just as well: https://goo.gl/kKzO3P

I can see other photos inserted in (what I believe is) the same way, but not mine. Am I missing a step?

Google photos has become a pain in the butt because they don't give you an embedded link. You can click the link and go to it. The work around is to add "?=.jpg" to the end of the link.

Example: https://goo.gl/kKzO3P?=.jpg

K. Greiff
"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing."
M. Jagger

#985216 - 04/19/17 03:49 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Boffin]
terryofperry Offline

I'm not seeing the picture Mike.

Terry

Perry, GA

#985219 - 04/19/17 04:47 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: terryofperry]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Terry,
The above is probably a bad example as the original photo from the above user is a dead link. So the embed is dead as well. But it embeds the dead link. smirk

How about this example......

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jdH1Oh...ntnwgwBEeKr3FDw[/img]

and with ?=.jpg added

K. Greiff
M. Jagger

#985220 - 04/19/17 04:53 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Boffin]
terryofperry Offline

Thanks Mike, that helps.

Terry

Perry, GA

#985225 - 04/19/17 05:29 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: terryofperry]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

Originally Posted By: terryofperry
Thanks Mike, that helps.

Terry

Honestly, it probably won't help much. Google Photos has taken a step backwards on photo hosting since the merger (or whatever you call it) with Picasa. They really don't want you using it in this capacity where you simply embed the photo to other sites. You are supposed link over to their viewer, if that makes sense. The long time users of Picasa are none too pleased and many have abandoned it for this particular reason. Just do a google search regarding Google Photos and embedded links and you'll see.
K. Greiff
M. Jagger

#985318 - 04/20/17 08:13 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: Boffin]
WBinDE Offline

Loc: Delaware
Thanks for your help, I sort of knew about the "=.jpg" part. I saw something about adding ".jpg" (no = sign) and tried it but SURPRISE it didn't work. Did you use your Magic Super Moderator powers to edit my post? Because now I can see the picture without having to click the link - which is, of course, what I was trying to do in the first place.

#985325 - 04/20/17 10:04 PM Re: How to post a picture using picture hosting on the web [Re: WBinDE]
greiffster Offline
Administrator

I just modified the quoted text in my post. I didn't touch yours. I don't think.

Incidentally, either ?=.jpg or ?.jpg seems to work. The equal sign seems to not matter, but the ? is critical.
K. Greiff
M. Jagger

Page 26 of 27 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 >