IGNORED

Paul Winter [racer7] has died

OldBMWMaster

OldBMWMaster

Many of you know Paul and know that he has fought kidney failure for years. He never did get a transplant and succumbed to his disease Thursday night 4/20/17.

Paul is the one who convinced Barbie and me to attend the UnRally and was my best riding companion. He rode very fast and was safe while doing it. Not many can do that. I doubt anyone will ever make the run from Wilmington, NC to Savannah GA as quickly as he and I did. The memories will stay with me forever. RIP buddy.

Never had the pleasure of meeting Paul in person , but swapped a few Carolina stories with him via pm through this site. Thoughts and prayers for his family.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I just saw this. I'm gutted. He was a terrific guy. I knew he was struggling last I PM'ed him, but didn't know how bad it was, of course.

He will be sorely missed.

• 5 months later...

Becky Hucks is hosting a Low Country Boil tomorrow, in honor of our late club member Paul Winter. If your plans have changed and you would like to attend, please let me know by sending an email to ccbmwridersclub@gmail.com.

Paul's obituary appears in today's edition of the Wilmington Star News. For those of you who do not subscribe to the local paper, here is his obituary.

Paul Frederick Winter

October 27, 1946 – April 20, 2017

Today would have been your birthday. We miss you much.

Paul Frederick Winter passed away on April 20, 2017, at the age of 70, in Wilmington, NC, from a sudden heart attack after a long struggle with polycystic kidney disease. He was born on October 27, 1946, in Jersey City, NJ. He was predeceased by his parents Frederick E. Winter and Lois (McCreery) Winter. Paul grew up in Cranford, NJ, and graduated high school in 1964. While in high school Paul and a close friend designed an astronomical observatory on the grounds of Union County College. He met world-renowned astronomer, Harlow Shapley, as well as Carl Sagan. Paul won a scholarship to Cornell University and graduated with a PHD in Microbiology in 1974. He went on to become a research scientist and management executive in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, working for Biogen Research, Burroughs Wellcome, Covance Biotech, DSM Catalytica, Del Labs, and others. He belonged to the American Society for Microbiology and played an instrumental role in developing many life saving drugs such as Beta Interferon and AZT. Paul had a myriad of interests that he pursued with a scientist's mindset of in-depth knowledge and precision. Some of these interests included astronomy, salt and freshwater big game fishing, hunting, scuba diving, wine tasting, beer brewing, gourmet cooking, auto racing, and motorcycling. He had a need for speed.

Paul is survived by his devoted companion, Becky Hucks; of Bolivia, NC, two adult children, Scott Winter (Heather) of Falls Church, VA, and Elizabeth McLauthlin (Andrew) of Lakewood, CO; grandchildren, Celia and Andrea Winter and Ada McLauthlin; siblings, Mark Winter, Adrienne Presgraves, and Barbara Bledsoe and former wives, Katherine Kozlowski (mother of his children) and Christina Winter.

A Celebration of Life will be held on October 28th in Bolivia, NC, and his ashes will be scattered at sea from Isla Mujeres, Mexico, on February 1, 2018.