IGNORED

VDU gone nuts!

Teejay

Hi just joined so forgive if already asked on but my display unit has gone funny! All the leds have come on! Is there a way to reset or is it time for a new one?

Thanks

Hi just joined so forgive if already asked on but my display unit has gone funny! All the leds have come on! Is there a way to reset or is it time for a new one?

Thanks

Afternoon Teejay

Can you be more specific? What (exactly) LED's have come on & when did they come on.

What bike? is this your BMW 1100RT?

Hi

All the leds on the unit temp and fuel bars and the clock have come on, resetting the clock and won't stop going round took the fuse out and showing all leds on?

Hey, TeeJay, Welcome to the forum!!

It would really help if you indicated your bike, year and model. Sometimes a specific year in a model will have quirks that only the longtime gurus here will know about. Lots of times there were equipment changes from one year to the next that just don't get covered in the Clymers, but some of these guys like Dirt Rider will know exactly what the problem is because he has seen it all. You might want to list it in your PROFILE (and maybe SIGNATURE) under MY STUFF (above).

Thanks for the welcome 😀

Bikes a R1100RT

96 model

As I said trying to reset the clock when it started to change by its self even with the keys out so pulled fuse to try and stop it, and when I replaced it the display lit up with all the leds on fuel and temp bars and the clock just showing 8 across it??

Help😞😞😞

Teejay

Hi

All the leds on the unit temp and fuel bars and the clock have come on, resetting the clock and won't stop going round took the fuse out and showing all leds on?

Morning Teejay

This is a very unique failure that is going to be difficult to diagnose over the internet without help from you.

So tell us--

When did the problem start?

Anything done to the bike just before the problem started? Like a new battery install, or battery charge, or maintenance, or fall over, or new accessory added, etc.

Hi

Had the batery disconnected to put new charger leads on it. Clock was working great till then. Went to reset clock and that's when it started to go wrong! Nothing new added, battery been on for about two years.

Hi

Had the batery disconnected to put new charger leads on it. Clock was working great till then. Went to reset clock and that's when it started to go wrong! Nothing new added, battery been on for about two years.

Morning Teejay

It sort of sounds like the RID (VDU) has an internal problem.

You might try removing fuse #3 for about 20 minutes, then reinstalling it, then turning the ignition key on to see what happens. (don't reset clock until you see if the other problems are gone)

Confused.

You just put new leads for battery, or two years ago?

If it was working before, and you just put new "leads", I'd sure go back to what was working and double check contacts/polarity etc.

Best wishes.

Brill

I'll give it a go in the morning

Thanks

Evening Teejay

You might also use a small wire or toothpick & wiggle the hour/minute buttons as one could be stuck in making continuous contact.