IGNORED

LED Brake lights?

bobbybob

Is anyone using a flashing aux LED brake light they can recommend? Can-bus friendly helps. I have the old Whelen/Skene off my GS but wondering if any plug-n-play options are out there.

Thanks!

Edited by bobbybob

Since you already have the Whelen,buy a Hex EzCan module and hook it up to the Whelen strobe.

You need to put the Whelen into non strobe mode to allow the Hex unit to function.

You then will have an easy access point for adding other lights,better horn,etc thru the EZCan.

You can also just use your existing setup with the Skene controller,just need to access stop light wiring.Check with Skene to see if your controller is compatible with your new bike.

JR356

EZ Can sounds interesting.

Anyone aware of a plug n play module that plugs into the existing brake light harness? I knew a guy who had one on his Tenere but got a feeling its not canbus compatible, don't remember its name.

The only plug and play brake light is the OEM, but it won't "flash". Skene lights are triggered by the same connector you plug the oem brake light into, but you will need a power tap near the fuse box. Not much to it, instructions are in with the lights.

Anyone aware of a plug n play module that plugs into the existing brake light harness? I knew a guy who had one on his Tenere but got a feeling its not canbus compatible, don't remember its name.

I've had Hyperlites on 4 RTs. Simple install using included posi-lock taps on the harness at the tail light module. I like the combo red-running/brake/amber-turn LED unit and their license bracket mounting option. Flashing brake is an option.

http://www.hyperlites.com

I run a Clearwater Billie. See review here: http://mklsportster.com/Articles/mcn-billie.pdf

Added benefit - can be wired into the stock brake light on the "deluxe" topcase to turn that into a running light / brake light instead of just a brake light as it's wired from the factory. Cannot beat this thing for functionality, brightness, and programmability.

-MKL

The Hex ezCAN it the nicest plug and play 4 channel device there is on the market right now.

It will turn any Red LED, in any form you have it, to be a brake, running, and deceleration light of one channel and provides waterproof color coded connectors for all 4 channels plus blanks to plug unused channels.

That is just one use of a 4 AMP dedicated brake control channel.

The two 10 AMP channels will run a lot of LED driving/spot Aux lights.

Too many functions to go into here but look at the web sight:

Hez ezCAN

EZcan looking more and more like the solution. Is there an output channel that will power an air horn using the OEM horn switch? I didn't see that---I have a feeling it will do a lot more than the description suggests...?

I've had Hyperlites on 4 RTs. Simple install using included posi-lock taps on the harness at the tail light module. I like the combo red-running/brake/amber-turn LED unit and their license bracket mounting option. Flashing brake is an option.

http://www.hyperlites.com

+1 on Hyperlites! Have them on both my '12 GSA and '16 RTW

EZcan looking more and more like the solution. Is there an output channel that will power an air horn using the OEM horn switch? I didn't see that---I have a feeling it will do a lot more than the description suggests...?

Sure will. You've probably already seen their site. If not take a peek here: http://hexezcan.com/. One of the default outputs is for a powered horn. The two videos on the site today are somewhat useful. A few others on YouTube are pretty good too.

I went through the same thought process on how to approach the same accessories on the my water head. The EZcan was the way I went.

Got bogged down with work and haven't completed my farkle installs yet, but the EZcan was a snap to install. The real advantage to the EZcan is the reasonable cost for the dongle and its flexibility with any type light, horn, or what ever you have...you're not locked into any brand. Functionality for lighting modes is all that and a bag of chips too. Lots of YouTube vids showing up now with individual implementations which are helpful to get a feel for what the EZcan is capable of.

I will connect an air horn, a pair of Hella halogen driving lights and a pair of LED running, brake and turn signal lights. Shopping for deals on eBay, Amazon, parts on Twisted Throttle and local shops, the total cost so far is $290. The last bit are the driving light brackets which could be somewhere between my hobby time to fabricate something and 160.00 for the OEM brackets & screws. No too shabby given the cost of quality farkles these days.

I have Hyperlites ( brake/running lights 32 light option )on my 14RT also had them on my 04RT, mine are set up as long as the brake is applied they will be flashing . Check them out, may be what your looking for.

On my hexhead (2008 RT)am using a pair of LED' from

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-can-bus-led-bulb-26-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/1326/3050/

They work fine, but need a pair of resistors, not to have the light bulb out warning on board.

Am running them thru the Skene module, so they flicker as position light, and plash few times

when brake. Position is much brighter, and brake... well, am sure it attracts attention!

Edited by temesvar
GreatDaysAhead

Could you tell me where you mounted the resistors and how much temperature they generate? Thks

zenwhipper
The only ones that come to mind are the Clearwater "Billie" brake lights...

Gotta agree on this. Man, I got mine yesterday from USPS and opened it up, it was fancy packaged and all - like a durn Iphone. ;)

The quality feels amazing.

My buddy has ridden with these for a few years on his bike and I have done a many miles ridding behind him and I can say they are amazing - high tech.

Could you tell me where you mounted the resistors and how much temperature they generate? Thks

Just by changing the bulbs, with original wiring, a single resistor is enough, connected between any one of the bulbs + and - wires.

That worked fine, no warning light on. However, since I connected the lights thru a PDM (power distributor module) and the Skene lights

module, I cant find the solution where to put the resistors. So I gave up on that, I prefer to have my position light flicker and brake light

flash, and worry less about the warning on board.

The resistors get very hot, will damage anything that it gets in contact with. I mounted it on a aluminum plate.

Edited by temesvar
  • 3 weeks later...

"Added benefit - can be wired into the stock brake light on the "deluxe" topcase to turn that into a running light / brake light instead of just a brake light as it's wired from the factory."

MKL,

Where are the instructions for doing this?

Edited by ShawnN
"Added benefit - can be wired into the stock brake light on the "deluxe" topcase to turn that into a running light / brake light instead of just a brake light as it's wired from the factory."

MKL,

Where are the instructions for doing this?

See this thread

The 12th post or so has a pic too.