IGNORED

Los Angeles to British Columbia

I'm planning a ride to BC. I'd like to leave at the end of this month. I have some friends to visit in Oregon and another in Washington. One of the goals is to visit the Olympic Peninsula.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, tips or things to watch out for. :S

You'll need good rain gear but suspect you know that. In any case lots to see; the entire OR coastline is pretty amazing, just a bit slow. The Evergreen Space and Aviation museum in McMinneville is worthwhile, among other things they've done a good job with the Spruce Goose and you can fill two days there easy. Cut over to I-5 before Portland and get back on 101 at Olympia. Ruby Beach up the coast is by far the best place to stop to take a good break. Before you get to Port Angeles tour around Cresent Lake and then if you're camping try out the Salt Creek Recreational Area...it's spectacular. You can ferry from PA to Vancouver Island (Victoria's Butchart Gardens is very nice if you like plants) or take the Port Townsend ferry and proceed up Whidbey Island and over Deception Pass and take the Anacortes ferry through the San Juan islands. Think BC is likely to be a bit nippy and even icy in early May but others can chime in. Definitely the Icefields Parkway if the weather is good but that's pretty much getting to Alberta.

Hey John! if you have time come over to the S.P.Airport for coffee next week. I have maps of the PNW BC. and Alberta and can point out some areas you might like from my rides in that part of the Country..... :wave:

I too would like information to BC from Port Angeles. We rode to Ice Fields a couple of years and got great information from this site. Here is one of our videos from the Alberta area. Found it.....MikeRC on this site has a worth of knowledge of the Alberta area is your able to make over there.

Edited by Hookman
I'm planning a ride to BC. I'd like to leave at the end of this month. I have some friends to visit in Oregon and another in Washington. One of the goals is to visit the Olympic Peninsula.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, tips or things to watch out for. :S

Don't believe the naysayers about the Oregon Coast, the traffic doesn't really get aggravating until mid-June. I was just there last week (in a car) and it isn't busy at all. However, there is still lots of snow in the high hills and mountains.

Oregon Road conditions

The Olympia Peninsula is really nice, and you should get some clear days in early May, but the snow level is probably in the 2500-3000ft range right now. If you want entertainment visit the Hurricane Ridge and Crater Lake webcams, you probably still need chains. :rofl:

Olympic National Park Road Conditions

I like the ride through the Hoh rainforest (looks like it may even have some flooding damage, though) as well as going out to Cape Flattery/Tatoosh Island. Just be aware that WA112 from Port Angeles to Cape Flattery has a lot of clearcut that the deer really like to hide in. Also the road itself has a lot of sunken grade and there are a lot of blind corners.

Lots to do and see in Astoria and Aberdeen.

Even 101 up the Hood Canal is nice. Hopefully others from the area will have more to add.

Almost all the paved roads in southern BC will be open & clear of snow but frost can still happen at night until June. As well, all the winter gravel/salt will still be on the roads until the sweepers start up in June.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Mike Cassidy