IGNORED

tire pressure

Dave P

R1100RT, average 170 lb solo speed limit (generally) rider. When selecting tire pressure, should I go by the pressure listed in my (17 year old) owner's manual or the Maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls of the (2017) tires? (maybe maximum is only for two up with luggage) I've got a Bridgestone on the rear and a Dunlop on the front. What pressures do you folks run for tires on an 1100RT? Thanks! Dave

R1100RT, average 170 lb solo speed limit (generally) rider. When selecting tire pressure, should I go by the pressure listed in my (17 year old) owner's manual or the Maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls of the (2017) tires? (maybe maximum is only for two up with luggage) I've got a Bridgestone on the rear and a Dunlop on the front. What pressures do you folks run for tires on an 1100RT? Thanks! Dave

Afternoon Dave

Go by your riders manual never by the tire sidewall max.

The tire sidewall max cold pressure for the max load on any unknown vehicles (basically a cover all for the tire manufacturer)

ok, will do. Thanks. I thought maybe it might be different since tire technology is different than it was in 1996 (when the bike was new). Dave

ok, will do. Thanks. I thought maybe it might be different since tire technology is different than it was in 1996 (when the bike was new). Dave

Afternoon Dave

There is definitely a difference in tire technology but the basic tire air pressures haven't changed much.

You need to keep in mind that the tire companies don't test any of their new tire offerings on most older motorcycles & BMW doesn't test any newer tire offerings on their older motorcycles.

So your riders manual pressures are a good starting point then you can adjust from there based on personal likes.

You can always try calling the tire tec help line of the tire company that you are using as they usually have suggested tire pressures for their tires (usually run to the high side but are well within the safe operating range).

I have run a few extra psi from recommended setting because some radial tires were too squirmy feeling for my liking. The down side of that is smaller contact patch, so don't wander too far from what the manual says.