IGNORED

Risk management question: Patched tire

Paul De

I must be not using search right as this topic has to come up feaquently enough. Even tried advanced setting terms to group words. All I got was a whole bunch of unrelated threads. So here is what is likely a redundant topic.

I keep the rid display on my 2015 RT showing tire pressure and noticed the rear seeming to loose about 1 psi over a week. So on my weekly walk around inspection I took a more detailed look at the rear tire and sure enough there is a nail head in the tread. It looks like the head of a siding nail about 3/4" off the center of the tread and should be repairable. I have about 6500 miles on this Michlen Pilot Road 4 GT so not so close to the end of its life that it is obvious to just get a new tire.

But is repair and ride out the life of the tire a good idea?

I must be not using search right as this topic has to come up feaquently enough. Even tried advanced setting terms to group words. All I got was a whole bunch of unrelated threads. So here is what is likely a redundant topic.

I keep the rid display on my 2015 RT showing tire pressure and noticed the rear seeming to loose about 1 psi over a week. So on my weekly walk around inspection I took a more detailed look at the rear tire and sure enough there is a nail head in the tread. It looks like the head of a siding nail about 3/4" off the center of the tread and should be repairable. I have about 6500 miles on this Michlen Pilot Road 4 GT so not so close to the end of its life that it is obvious to just get a new tire.

But is repair and ride out the life of the tire a good idea?

Afternoon Paul

With a proper repair & assuming the tire cord isn't damaged then a repair will easily & safely last you to end of tire life.

Problem is, to do a proper (re safe) tire repair usually means removing the wheel then removing the tire from the wheel & doing a proper inside repair.

With a tire as close to end-of-life as yours is at 6,500 miles I'm not sure that doing a proper repair is cost effective.

If just cruising around locally then you can probably just plug it from the outside but that sure isn't a recommended repair for high speed usage or long distance traveling.

I've plugged many a tire and continued to use them with no restrictions until they were due for replacement. I also had a few repaired with an inside patch. I have complete confidence in riding on a plugged tire.

I don't recall ever hearing/reading about anyone on this and other boards having a plugged tire fail leading to a crash or even a rapid deflation.

To be clear, I'm talking about a typical nail-type puncture, not a jagged cut. That being said, I put four plugs into a jagged cut on my ATV when I was 30 miles into a remote back country ride. I rode it the rest of day without losing any air.

Here is a post from our DIY section.

Thanks for the input. I typically have damage too close to

The side wall to even consider patching. I have taken the wheel off and marked the spot and check that it was the only nail. I'll run it over to the BMW dealer tomorrow and go from there. Depending on what they want for patching from inside, I decide which way to go.

Thanks for the input. I typically have damage too close to

The side wall to even consider patching. I have taken the wheel off and marked the spot and check that it was the only nail. I'll run it over to the BMW dealer tomorrow and go from there. Depending on what they want for patching from inside, I decide which way to go.

Afternoon Paul

You might want to call the BMW dealer first as a lot of motorcycle dealers won't repair tires due to possible liability issues.

If you have someone else repair it then mark the valve stem position on the tire side wall so you can verify that it is put back on the rim in same clocking to retain current tire balance.

This.

We never repaired tires, liability, as DR says.

Just replace it.

Peace of mind.

Plenty get them patched and ride a long time.

But you're close to "that time" anyway.

I replaced several tires that were "close", might have made the 1500 mile trip to the mountains over the weekend.

But, 2up, nope.

Not worth it in so many ways.

I've had plenty of car tires patched, these ain't the same IMO.

Best wishes.

Get it, stick it, and forget it.

To add, it depends on the life expectancy of the tire. If'n you're aggressive and generally see the cord at 7k, replace the tire, if your lightly throttled and the wear bars aren't showing til 12k, stick it with the plug and forget it.

Edited by Living the Dream

Couple of thoughts:

In some states it is against the law to patch an MC tire. Well, that is what the dealers here say. (could be liability and they just deflect the question by saying it is against the law)

My Metzler is about 1/2 life at 6500 miles and as much as it hurts to spend the couple of hundred to put another on, I would do it. Simply put, a couple of hundred dollars vs. a possible hospital stay, I choose the couple hundred.

In some states it is against the law to patch an MC tire. Well, that is what the dealers here say. (could be liability and they just deflect the question by saying it is against the law)

I looked into that a few years back when there was another thread on the subject. Nothing found. But when someone sees this posted they are going to assume it might be true. I just spent a few minutes checking again. Here is the law in Texas, go to #7, Tire Inspection and here is a report from a tire business related site Tire laws

Nice that this is up to the individual to decide for themselves and on each condition.

Although I don't ride like I did in my youth, not all the testosterone has left my body yet. I am still guilty of moments of WFO here and there, so I went with the new tire. Decided to support the dealer, but ouch that tire wasn't cheap!

I guess I should zip it, because if I am moaning about tire prices I should have went with a scooter!

All you folks that dump a tire at half or more tread for a nail hole, please send my way,.....I'll run it to the threads ;)

All you folks that dump a tire at half or more tread for a nail hole, please send my way,.....I'll run it to the threads ;)

:thumbsup:

JR356

Just replaced a pr4 rear tire that had 2 patches. They were patched from inside with the mushroom type plug. Bonding to tire was seamless. I have confidence in the patch. Many miles on tire now, no problem. As to worth it ? Your decision.

Just replaced a pr4 rear tire that had 2 patches. They were patched from inside with the mushroom type plug. Bonding to tire was seamless. I have confidence in the patch. Many miles on tire now, no problem. As to worth it ? Your decision.

Thanks that is great info for the future. I actually have no problem with a well done patch form inside, maybe OK with riding on a outside/in plug long term if the hole was tiny. Sounds like I may have assigned too much risk to patching, but while my worry may be unfounded it is also my reality and my wife may not ride with me, or do so with anxiety the whole ride. That would not be enjoyable for either of us and riding has to be fun as a top priority.

In the end when I compared the tread depth and profile of A new to my sick used PR, I was much more like 75% through its useful life. Going WFO on the throttle has its cost, but sure is fun on this new RT😃 So putting on a new tire was not such a waste of cash and my wife had a smile when I told her of that decision.

elkroeger

Boy, I tell you whut. I'd put a plug in it and ride it. But there's a lot to be said for getting a new one too.

But certainly, if you've never done it before, use this as an educational opportunity. Search youtube for "how to plug a tire". Put in a plug and see how it goes. If you're not satisfied, put on a new tire. When you're on a long trip and flat out, you'll be glad you know the drill. With just a little practice, you can get back on the road before the glue is even set. (Might be worth hanging around for a 1/2 hour or more after you get the patch in, just to give the glue some time.... )

There are a variety of plugs/patches out there. Some work better than others. Some people like these and hate those. Other people hate these and like those. The world is your oyster.

Personally, I just use the cheapie monkey grip brand that's available at most auto parts stores. works fine for me.

Edited by elkroeger

We saw very few issues with failures involving new tires.

Maybe 2 out of thousands.

We saw a lot of issues with riders riding too far into the tread, "I ride to the cords", and more than a few where the tire ended abruptly.

We didn't patch/plug for liabilty issues.

I've seen patches work, depending on the puncture.

I've seen them fail, dramatically.

I've seen plugs work.

Carry a repaor kit a compressor.

Fortunately never needed in 400,00+ miles.

I've seen plugs fail, dramatically.

Playing the odds is an individual choice.

They aren't vehicles with 4 wheels.

Every rider we dealt with who had a crash because they rode a repaired tire said they wished they hadn't.

Of course, those who did ride them and had no problems spoke up also.

Me, I always replace early, even years where that meant 4 sets in 30k.

Peace of mind because I never knew what the road was like around the next corner.

Best wishes.