IGNORED

AC / DC Oil?

Gene#3

I know a lot of folks have condemned the use of Shell Rotella "Diesel" motor oil... aka "Walmart oil"... but a LOT of oil manufacturers are now producing gas / diesel motor oils... Motul among others no less...

I use it in the HP4 and will switch to it in the RT.

It's going to be an oil thread, which means it'll be debated......which oil is best, which tires are best, which air filters are best, which oil filters are best, toilet paper (over or under the roll),.......and so on and so on.

Edited by Living the Dream
Hank R1200RT

Regarding Rotella, Ford has not approved the CK formulation for use with their 6.7L diesel engines. Claimed that it led to more valve train wear than the prior CJ formulation.

The conundrum is compounded by some allegations that Shell switched formulations to the CK standard but continued bottling it in CJ containers.

One internet post alleged that the phosphurus content was too low, 800 versus 1000. This has become a hot topic on a couple of trucking forums.

API CK is intended for better emissions from diesels versus CJ.

So...not to disagree with anyone about the value of oil threads (or lack thereof)...but there is something going on at present with Rotella diesel oil which is out of the ordinary.

I don't want to go too tangent here, but I work in an industry that uses similar feed stocks and other refined chemicals used in the oils made for automotive engines. What I have noticed is that there is a fair bit of switching of feed streams going on in the last few years driven by a lot of factors from cost containment, optimizing manufacturing assets, and BCP around geopolitical challenges. In any case, if you favorite oil doesn't seem to be the same as it was when you fell in love with it, you aren't imagining it. Your oil may have now more Brontosaur and less fern juice than before :Cool:

Afternoon Paul

There is/will be a lot of changes in automotive oils in the next few years.

Most people haven't even heard of it but the auto industry is losing a lot of sleep over a thing called Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI).

Possibly a little better known as Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI).

This is an event where a little bit of engine oil gets by the piston rings (& by little that is usually less than will fit on the point of a pin). Mainly happening in direct injection high compression engines (mostly turbo equipped).

This very small wisp of oil residue in the combustion chamber causes a compression ignition ahead of the spark so even very responsive knock sensors won't control or stop it. The scary part is it can crack a piston or trash an engine in just a few miles.

The thing is, the auto companies are hoping that the major oil companies can come up with an engine oil that will eliminate it (some of the newer automotive engine oils are now being tested & blended to hopefully eliminate (LPSI).

Most riders probably don't care but there are a few riders here that might be interested so just Google -- Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) or Stochastic Pre-Ignition (SPI).

Hmm, interesting problem. Formulating oil to not slip past the rings at all and still flow and lubricate well seems an impossible task. That is a big 'ol topic to itself!

Far be it from me to get in the way of the pending food fight on which is the best oil to use...so, I'll just wait for the show to start :lurk: